Presser Thoughts

beaverdaleguy

Is it just me, or does Kirk seem more and more anxious to just get it done and get out of there? The beginning of the season, he would answer more in depth, maybe randomly slip into a side story (still confused about that Stanford comment BTW) and seem like he enjoyed talking with everyone. Now it seems like he arrives later, is vaguer (more vague?) on his answers, and avoids a lot of topics with short, curt answers. Maybe I'm reading too much into it...

Thoughts?

He is definitely more vague on injuries.

I think KF wanting to "just get it over with" may be just a aberation this week and not a trend. He has a lot on his plate in this part of the season and who knows what coaching business the press conference interupts. I know when I'm intent on a project, that any distraction is annoying.

He mentioned Stanford when asked about Northwestern being a tough coaching job. I took it as him assuming the questioner meant because of Northwestern's high academic standards. He used Stanford being ranked 6th or 7th as proof you can do very well with high standards.

Not sure if that's what he meant or not, but that's how I took it.

I think it happens as the season wears on. In the beginning, there's a lot more to discuss and a lot of new faces on the field and in practice that the press wants to know about. At this point, after 9 games, the press has gotten to know some of the freshmen and younger players and so there's just less to discuss there. Additionally, I think the novelty wears off for coaches pretty early as well. After the off season, it's exciting to talk a lot about the team and which guys are showing up big, etc. At this point, he's talking about work and it seems like a lot of the fun has gone away.

Do you read the inane questions that precede his answers? Wouldn't you want to get out of the room and back to producing something that helps your team win on Saturdays? Plus he already has done the B10 conference call, plus he has the call-in show the next day...

I know, he gets paid millions. But he CONSISTENTLY answers with unaccustomed grace. Did you see Bo Pelini's halftime "interview" versus ISU?

Kirk's team moved to 7-2 last week, inching up to 13th in the BCS standings, and making is 22 of their last 26.

Then he had to endure most of the fanbase and some mediots calling him and the rest of the coaches morons. I can't blame him for being curt with the media.

Wow. Nobody ever called the coaches morons, (except maybe for KOK, but there's nothing really new there ;-D) they called some decisions moronic. That's because the decisions were moronic.

Doesn't mean we all don't love the coaches and appreciate what they do. But if you make a stupid decision, (which we ALL do from time to time) don't get all bent out of shape if someone calls you on it.

And for the love of Pete, if you are a college football coach, NEVER read the message boards.

Mike

Frankly, I don't know how he resists the temptation to call some of the questioners out on their BS. The question below was so ludicrously stupid... I expect this sort of thing from message boards, but sports reporters should be doing their homework a bit better than this guy did:

Q. Do you play into the notion that maybe this offense is a tough matchup for the way you guys play defense?
COACH FERENTZ: I don’t know, how many points did they have last year? I don’t think it was an exorbitant amount. I don’t think that’s been our issue. I think when you turn the ball over five times and then four times and give up, I think it was 22 points two years ago, does anybody remember the score, 22‑17, something like that, we have given up the ball nine times and they have had under 40 points.
So that’s hard to say our defense has really been the issue, I think. I don’t know. The other day, I felt like they threw for 400, and they threw for 222 or whatever it was, we gave up 13 points. But it could have been, you understand that.

So you don't think he should mind people calling his closest coaching confidant on the staff, KOK, a moron while at the same time calling out Norm and his staff for not blitzing more. Anyone who knows as much football as Kirk, just has to cringe at the arrogance behind the questions and assertions made on this site and others not to mention face to face at these press conferences. Having said that he very rarely displays any negative reaction to all of this and recognizes it is part of the job. Nevertheless, as we get to the meat of the season, it has to be harder and harder to suffer all this foolishness when you have a million things to do to prepare for a tough Big 10 road opponent.

Think about the number of hours the coaches put in during the season, you can see it wear on them getting only a few hours asleep at night, as well as December 1 kicks off recruiting period too so I imagine they are gearing for that as well.

So you don't think he should mind people calling his closest coaching confidant on the staff, KOK, a moron while at the same time calling out Norm and his staff for not blitzing more. Anyone who knows as much football as Kirk, just has to cringe at the arrogance behind the questions and assertions made on this site and others not to mention face to face at these press conferences. Having said that he very rarely displays any negative reaction to all of this and recognizes it is part of the job. Nevertheless, as we get to the meat of the season, it has to be harder and harder to suffer all this foolishness when you have a million things to do to prepare for a tough Big 10 road opponent.

I would think that the majority of college coaches know that fans are not worth getting worried about. Coaches don't (or at least) shouldn't be bothered by what's said on a message board.

As for the press, why wouldn't they ask questions about Robinson and why he was in the game so late? That's a very reasonable question to ask. The media isn't doing its job if they don't ask questions like that.

Wow. Nobody ever called the coaches morons, (except maybe for KOK, but there's nothing really new there ;-D) they called some decisions moronic. That's because the decisions were moronic.

Doesn't mean we all don't love the coaches and appreciate what they do. But if you make a stupid decision, (which we ALL do from time to time) don't get all bent out of shape if someone calls you on it.

And for the love of Pete, if you are a college football coach, NEVER read the message boards.

Mike
Parsing words. If someone said your DECISION to marry your wife was moronic, would you be insulted? This notion that you can call someone's actions moronic but you're not really insulting the person . . . is . . . well . . . moronic!

I think the longer anyone coaches the less they enjoy questions; which are quite often repetitive and can be revealing to your opponent.

Parsing words. If someone said your DECISION to marry your wife was moronic, would you be insulted? This notion that you can call someone's actions moronic but you're not really insulting the person . . . is . . . well . . . moronic!

I think the longer anyone coaches the less they enjoy questions; which are quite often repetitive and can be revealing to your opponent.

Smart people make stupid mistakes, too, it's not just morons. That doesn't make Ferentz, or any other coach for that matter, a moron. It just means that some people think he made a stupid mistake.

Reminds me of the reporter who asked Joe Paterno what his motivation was to coach after he won his 400th game.

His reply was something along the lines of: "What's my motivation? What's my motivation? I get paid to coach football..."

dp

Last edited:
Kirk gets paid 4 million a year and gets treated with kid gloves by the fans and press.

hed get barbecued if he was in the nfl or most college towns much worse and hes smart enough to know that.

Kirk gets paid 4 million a year and gets treated with kid gloves by the fans and press.

hed get barbecued if he was in the nfl or most college towns much worse and hes smart enough to know that.

He gets treated with kid gloves because Iowa fans recognize a good thing when they see it. The worst thing that could happen to Iowa fans is if we alienated such a high-quality coach.

Kirk makes 3 million not 4....only missed it by 25%...not good.

If you are going to ***** ,at least use facts.

I came away from this PC thinking that KF is totally fed up with blowing games to NW,and is very ****** about our performances in 4 of the last 5 years vs NW. He is seething,and KF rarely seethes.

He gets treated with kid gloves because Iowa fans recognize a good thing when they see it. The worst thing that could happen to Iowa fans is if we alienated such a high-quality coach.

That doesn't mean that none of the tough questions should get asked. The clock-management and A-Rob issues were perfectly reasonable issues to address. And if he doesn't want to talk about it, all he has to do is say that. I wasn't there, so I can't know for sure, but he seemed to get pretty curt when the A-Rob topic came up. If he doesn't want to talk about it, he doesn't have to do that.

Latest posts