Predict the size of the meltdown

Does anyone think KF will take the handcuffs off the offense this week and let KOK run 12 plays instead of the usual 7?

Does anyone think Norm will do anything different regardless that he does not have the players to run his "typical" defense?

Does anyone think the Iowa coaching staff will do anything different against a new wide open offense that they haven't seen.

Does anyone think the Iowa coaching staff will change their gameplan to confront this new offense.

Does anyone think the Iowa coaching staff will take advantage of Pitt's weaknesses or will the staff use the same exact gameplan they have used for the past 13 years.

Does anyone think Pitt will take advantage of any Iowa weakness and exploit the hell out of it?

Does anyone think Pitt will go for 4th and 1 or try to get into field goal range with 1:20 left to try to win the game or will they take the safe route and kick a field goal or take a knee?

Does anyone think KF and the staff could do something even more less risky this game than last?

The way I look at it is I would hate to see them lose but if they do tickets will be plentiful so I will be as cool as the other side of the pillow.

No one commented on your analogy somi thought I would. Nice. You must be a Dan Rather fan? :)

I can see this scenario:

Iowa up 20-7 in the fourth quarter with the ball at the Pitt 10 yard line, 4th and 3. He sends in the FG unit to make it a 2 TD/2 2 pt conversion game. But wait! It's a fake! And it doesn't work! Pitt drives down to score a TD. Iowa fails to move the ball and has to punt. Pitt goes down and scores another TD with about a minute to go. Iowa has one more chance, but predictably fails to get in scoring range. On the post game when asked about the fake FG, Kirk will make some sort of backhanded comment towards the fans that want him to be more aggressive.

This board explodes. The Ferentz bootlickers blame the loss on the Ferentz "Haters"...claiming Kirk would have kicked the FG if it wasn't for all their criticism of him after the ISU game. The "Haters" would counter that they didn't necessary disagree with going for it, but that a fake FG was a stupid call.

Various "Fire Kirk"..."Fire KOK"..."In Kirk We Trust" threads pop up. Some will say the season is over...others will say things will get fixed and the Hawks can still go 10-2, 9-3.

The way I look at it is I would hate to see them lose but if they do tickets will be plentiful so I will be as cool as the other side of the pillow.

I did not realize Stuart Scott was Hawkeye fan.:)

I can see this scenario:

Iowa up 20-7 in the fourth quarter with the ball at the Pitt 10 yard line, 4th and 3. He sends in the FG unit to make it a 2 TD/2 2 pt conversion game. But wait! It's a fake! And it doesn't work! Pitt drives down to score a TD. Iowa fails to move the ball and has to punt. Pitt goes down and scores another TD with about a minute to go. Iowa has one more chance, but predictably fails to get in scoring range. On the post game when asked about the fake FG, Kirk will make some sort of backhanded comment towards the fans that want him to be more aggressive.

This board explodes. The Ferentz bootlickers blame the loss on the Ferentz "Haters"...claiming Kirk would have kicked the FG if it wasn't for all their criticism of him after the ISU game. The "Haters" would counter that they didn't necessary disagree with going for it, but that a fake FG was a stupid call.

Various "Fire Kirk"..."Fire KOK"..."In Kirk We Trust" threads pop up. Some will say the season is over...others will say things will get fixed and the Hawks can still go 10-2, 9-3.

I lol'd. Nicely done.

I think there is a 0.0% chance of the first paragraph happening.

If we lose under almost any circumstances, the last paragraph will almost certainly happen.

I'm wondering more about if Iowa wins a close one, how many people are going to be jumping back on the Iowa to the BCS/B10 championship game. There will be a lot I'm sure.

Given that we are back, I am never going to melt down again. Frankly, I'd be shocked if anyone on here can name a solitary of me "melting down." I just hope the boys can get out of West Point with a W, we get Persa back for Illinois and we are 4-0 heading into the classic night game against Dennard.

I'm wondering more about if Iowa wins a close one, how many people are going to be jumping back on the Iowa to the BCS/B10 championship game. There will be a lot I'm sure.

That may be a stretch, but I will be back on the 9-3/8-4 bandwagon.

I will have a nuclear meltdown if we sit on it at the end of regulation in a tie game. It will be epic, I promise.

I will also move further along the fire KF spectrum. I used to think those that called for his head were irredeemable idiots. Now I see them more as reactionary knuckleheads. I may see them as having good points if we sit on it again.

That may be a stretch, but I will be back on the 9-3/8-4 bandwagon.

Agreed, but there will be some (siting the 2002 season). I'm still on the 7-5 band wagon. Used to be on the 8-4 but ISU was one of them.

TTU
Pitt
ULM
Indiana
Minnesota
Michigan State
Purdue

This week is easy win at home. The BIG10 schedule starts real soft so we will be 7-1 before we have to work. Locked. This team is better than what showed up in Ames. Remember, it's the Clone's super bowl.

This team is bad. I have no idea what to expect in regards to a win/loss. But i do expect it to be a close game and come down to either a final drive we have to stop, or a final drive we have to put together.

And after writing that, I'm feeling more confident we lose if that situation happens.

We lose and everyone will throw their hands up and towels in. There might be more melting down and frustration but I think it peaked with play calling last week.

Not feeling so good about a win but, if we get it, there will be some who say Ferentz is the best coach in college ball and we're lucky to have him. Others will just say we should have won anyway.

ETA: I think the level of meltdown will be determined by play calling rather than the players themselves. EVeryone seems to be able to tolerate inexperience in the players. KF on the other hand? Not so much.

its like the old saying "players win games and coaches loose them"

I'm sure if we win a close game people will be talking about the great effort the d put in or jvb had a great 2 minute offense. no one will talk about good play calling or great game prep from the coaches. but if we loose it'll be fire kf and joke. No one will talk about poor execution.

its like the old saying "players win games and coaches loose them"

I'm sure if we win a close game people will be talking about the great effort the d put in or jvb had a great 2 minute offense. no one will talk about good play calling or great game prep from the coaches. but if we loose it'll be fire kf and joke. No one will talk about poor execution.

Whose job is it to make sure the players execute correctly? Just wonderin'.

Bigger or smaller than last week?

Nuclear, or just a dirty bomb?

Who will remain the calmest? Who will go the most insane? I want odds and numbers here.

What will the reaction of OK4P be?

How many threads calling for Ferentz to be fired?

--Dirty bomb for Norm, Nuclear for KF and KOK

--Homer will remain calmest, citing precedents from the 2006, 2000, 1994, 1986 and 1982 seasons. JonD will explain that he and the other "experts" have "had these concerns all along". Kaldenberg will say, "I told you so".

--I don't really give a crap what OK4P writes, let alone thinks. His/her reaction is a non-sequitir, given that a 20-point win would still be answered with comments on NWs "bigger" win and how we would have no chance against Wiscy, anyway.

--Over/under at 12. Even a WIN will elicit six (MINIMUM) threads about his clock mismanagement in the 2005 Capital One Bowl/not going for it at end of reg in 2009 OSU game and 2011 ISU game/his blind loyalty to KOK

Frankly, a 31-0 win will have folks griping that we let up in the 3rd quarter and didn't go for the throat.

EDIT: Thunder, of course, will wax nonsensical about "not enough talent on D" and "conservative play-calling is what has killed this program".

Last edited:

Latest posts