Prater's Draft Stock on the Rise

Not surprised. Good for Prater. Always thought he would make a great pro. Almost got into it with a guy at one of the home games this year about Prater. This ****** didnt even think he would get drafted. I quote him as saying they are picking on the worst corner in the league. This was one of those guys that sounds like he knows what he's talking about and portrays knowledge, but didnt actually have any. I said, you gotta be kidding me, you honestly dont think they are going to draft an All Big Ten corner in Prater. Was funny.. then his buddy started sticking up for him like no man he wont get drafted. Hes playing horrible. Ahhhhhh the hoooopla. We all know the type....

At least according to the Sporting News. The linked article says he raised his draft stock the most at the Shrine Bowl last week. Says he may now be selected in the 2nd round.

And apparently PersaStrong wasnt so strong. Thats too bad.

East-West Shrine impressions: Five who helped their draft stock, and five who hurt it - NFL - Sporting News

We have had some players here that didn't exactly appear to dominate. Yet they are well regarded by the pros. Good luck to him.

Not surprised. Good for Prater. Always thought he would make a great pro. Almost got into it with a guy at one of the home games this year about Prater. This ****** didnt even think he would get drafted. I quote him as saying they are picking on the worst corner in the league. This was one of those guys that sounds like he knows what he's talking about and portrays knowledge, but didnt actually have any. I said, you gotta be kidding me, you honestly dont think they are going to draft an All Big Ten corner in Prater. Was funny.. then his buddy started sticking up for him like no man he wont get drafted. Hes playing horrible. Ahhhhhh the hoooopla. We all know the type....

What you said here is my biggest pet peeve about “those†fans and most of the out spoken critics on here. There is a guy on Hawkeye Report (and if I tried hard enuff I’d remember him) who literally told me last year Prater was only 5-9 and would run a 4.67….I said you are so wet I can’t believe anyone takes what you say seriously. He is like so many on here that are continually negative, bitter and sound like they are using sound reasoning but have so little perspective or true insight you can’t take anything they say very seriously.

It’s really a difficult thing….we are all disappointed, but the way in which so many express themselves it is just such a negative anchor on the program. They think they don’t do any damage but they do. To the point they literally blind themselves to the facts like with Prater.

Now with that said, athleticism and ability has never been Prater’s problem. But rather silly mistakes and lack of focus….

What you said here is my biggest pet peeve about “those†fans and most of the out spoken critics on here. There is a guy on Hawkeye Report (and if I tried hard enuff I’d remember him) who literally told me last year Prater was only 5-9 and would run a 4.67….I said you are so wet I can’t believe anyone takes what you say seriously. He is like so many on here that are continually negative, bitter and sound like they are using sound reasoning but have so little perspective or true insight you can’t take anything they say very seriously.

It’s really a difficult thing….we are all disappointed, but the way in which so many express themselves it is just such a negative anchor on the program. They think they don’t do any damage but they do. To the point they literally blind themselves to the facts like with Prater.

Now with that said, athleticism and ability has never been Prater’s problem. But rather silly mistakes and lack of focus….

You are the smartest poster in message board history!

Great post and those silly mistakes he made can be corrected. They were often due to him over thinking or trying to make too much happen and at times took himself out of position. Will be a very good pro.

What you said here is my biggest pet peeve about “those” fans and most of the out spoken critics on here. There is a guy on Hawkeye Report (and if I tried hard enuff I’d remember him) who literally told me last year Prater was only 5-9 and would run a 4.67….I said you are so wet I can’t believe anyone takes what you say seriously. He is like so many on here that are continually negative, bitter and sound like they are using sound reasoning but have so little perspective or true insight you can’t take anything they say very seriously.

Last edited:
Do you think that is a product of the system or the player underachieving?

I assume it must be the system. Its not as if the players are great one second and suck the next. There are exeception tho as many players continue to get better in the pros. Which makes sense.

There was a cadre of Iowa fans this season who were convinced that Prater was way overrated and not attractive to the NFL. I kept mentioning how NFL scout Russ Landy on ''The Next Level'' the BTN show that looks at Big Ten prospects, kept listing Prater as his #3 overall draft-eligible prospect out of the Big Ten. Near the end of the year he did a segment on Prater,and broke down some film on the show. He gushed about Praters hip-swivel,which allows him to change direction without slowing down.
Also praised his run support.

Some Iowa fans focus strictly on a few bad plays in Iowa games and assume that the NFL will take a pass. These guys drill down on these prospects and do find out if it was a case of Tanner Miller,a novice safety, was the one responsible for deep coverage where it looks like Prater got burned.

Good luck to Mr. Prater.

we ask a lot of our corners at times, and in my opinion its the hardest position to play in this new era of "can't touch the receiver" football. i think he'll do fine and will be like Sash - start out as a special teamer with the ability to crack the starting lineup down the road.

would be surprised to see him get drafted 2nd round, but who knows. will be interesting to see how he tests out at the combine and if he makes the move to safety in the pros like so many other iowa CB's.

This pretty much sums it up. Prater didn't play like a top-flight college corner very often this year, because he's got a riverboat gambler mentality at the position. But he's got the talent.

we ask a lot of our corners at times, and in my opinion its the hardest position to play in this new era of "can't touch the receiver" football. i think he'll do fine and will be like Sash - start out as a special teamer with the ability to crack the starting lineup down the road.

would be surprised to see him get drafted 2nd round, but who knows. will be interesting to see how he tests out at the combine and if he makes the move to safety in the pros like so many other iowa CB's.

I think Prater has the best chance to stay at corner in the NFL out of all the corners we've sent to the league. The thing with guys like Godfrey and Spievey is that their hips weren't quite fluid enough for them to fit in at corner, and so they moved to safety where that particular attribute isn't at such a premium.

But Prater's hip swivel is VERY fluid, and he's got great top-end speed. That, combined with his ball skills, makes him a very attractive corner prospect. If he gets a little smarter and picks his spots to gamble more carefully, then he could become a VERY good NFL corner.

This pretty much sums it up. Prater didn't play like a top-flight college corner very often this year, because he's got a riverboat gambler mentality at the position. But he's got the talent.

I think Prater has the best chance to stay at corner in the NFL out of all the corners we've sent to the league. The thing with guys like Godfrey and Spievey is that their hips weren't quite fluid enough for them to fit in at corner, and so they moved to safety where that particular attribute isn't at such a premium.

But Prater's hip swivel is VERY fluid, and he's got great top-end speed. That, combined with his ball skills, makes him a very attractive corner prospect. If he gets a little smarter and picks his spots to gamble more carefully, then he could become a VERY good NFL corner.

Who doesn't love a guy with great ball skills and a VERY fluid hip swivel? Hard to say no to that.

Many believe he is to small to play Safety. I think he could do it, but as a poster stated earlier, has the hips that Spievey lacked to play Corner effectively. I think Prater will make it as a Corner, wouldnt doubt he could make a good safety as well.

yeah, i agree that if anyone of our CB's could make it in the NFL at CB, it would be Prater. i don't think he could be a FS for most teams in the NFL, but definitely for teams like the Colts who prefer to have athletes back there as opposed to the teams who prefer their safeties to be primarily run stoppers.

There was a cadre of Iowa fans this season who were convinced that Prater was way overrated and not attractive to the NFL. I kept mentioning how NFL scout Russ Landy on ''The Next Level'' the BTN show that looks at Big Ten prospects, kept listing Prater as his #3 overall draft-eligible prospect out of the Big Ten. Near the end of the year he did a segment on Prater,and broke down some film on the show. He gushed about Praters hip-swivel,which allows him to change direction without slowing down.
Also praised his run support.

Some Iowa fans focus strictly on a few bad plays in Iowa games and assume that the NFL will take a pass. These guys drill down on these prospects and do find out if it was a case of Tanner Miller,a novice safety, was the one responsible for deep coverage where it looks like Prater got burned.

Good luck to Mr. Prater.

You said a lot there....they do this for the whole team. Just think if they did that with their own lives they’d be so successful they wouldn't have time to post their critiques on a message board…funny that?!

But see you have perspective and insight outside of 10 bad plays a game for Iowa. They do not, and they get increasingly angry when you point this out to them. I just want to be as supportive and realistic as possible. I too was frustrated, but I see the other end, so do you....good stuff!

we ask a lot of our corners at times, and in my opinion its the hardest position to play in this new era of "can't touch the receiver" football. i think he'll do fine and will be like Sash - start out as a special teamer with the ability to crack the starting lineup down the road.would be surprised to see him get drafted 2nd round, but who knows. will be interesting to see how he tests out at the combine and if he makes the move to safety in the pros like so many other iowa CB's.

Not to nitpick but we don't ask a lot of our corners. We don't play much Cover 1 (man) at all so in most cases our corners are basically playing zone like the safeties and why I think a lot of former corners ended up at safety in the NFL.

That said I think Prater played more man this year than I have seen in awhile and think he also has the best chance to stay at corner in the NFL most likely as you said starting on ST and maybe come in as the nickel back. I also don't see him getting drafted before the 3rd round.

We have had some players here that didn't exactly appear to dominate. Yet they are well regarded by the pros. Good luck to him.

I know, right?

I love how on-field performance at Iowa is never held against Iowa football players.

It's almost like a sports-welfare system at Iowa.

Kinda like the NFL scouts know Iowa runs a $Hltty system with good players.

I know, right? I love how on-field performance at Iowa is never held against Iowa football players. It's almost like a sports-welfare system at Iowa. Kinda like the NFL scouts know Iowa runs a $Hltty system with good players.

How many Iowa QBs, RBs, WRs are playing significant roles in the NFL? Aside from Greene there isn't any unless you want to include TE's in with the WR.

Its OL, DL, LB, and safety, those aren't sexy number positions yes some is on coaches for scheme and recruiting but those are different arguements.

How can he be drafted? Haven't the scouts heard all the idiots around me at Kinnick yelling "turn around!" at our corners?

Latest posts