Powell updates anyone?

HawkeyeGunner

Been hearing about Vandenberg, Hillyer and Willies(sp) but not Powell this summer. Did I miss something? I was at the spring game at Kinnick and it seemed like he was being ignored. I realize that the defenses marginalized him after seeing what he could do against Minnesota but has he been truly forgotten or did he do something to end up in the doghouse?

Been hearing about Vandenberg, Hillyer and Willies(sp) but not Powell this summer. Did I miss something? I was at the spring game at Kinnick and it seemed like he was being ignored. I realize that the defenses marginalized him after seeing what he could do against Minnesota but has he been truly forgotten or did he do something to end up in the doghouse?

I do not recall defenses marginalizing him last season. I recall him not being on the field nearly enough to stretch the defense and a lack of deep routes for most of the season when he got a play or two. On the rare occasion he was sent deep the QB was not able to put the pass on him.

I do not recall defenses marginalizing him last season. I recall him not being on the field nearly enough to stretch the defense and a lack of deep routes for most of the season when he got a play or two. On the rare occasion he was sent deep the QB was not able to put the pass on him.

I agree. That was a strange comment. How can you be marginalized when you're rarely used? I don't know what he looks like in practice, but during game situations he adds needed electricity. None of our other WR's look as fast as him.

I think he caught that screen pass against Minnesota and never stopped running. I mean he literally started running across the country, Forrest Gump style.

Powell was seeing 15 to 20 snaps a game in the middle of the big ten schedule. He couldn't consistently get open. He lost playing time.

Powell was seeing 15 to 20 snaps a game in the middle of the big ten schedule. He couldn't consistently get open. He lost playing time.

I disagree with this. The only game he saw that kind of action was maybe the second quarter against MSU(when Smith, Powell & Vandenburg played 3 series in a row and we scored 14 pts) and late game against Wisky when we were in desperation mode with CJ chucking it deep multiple times.

I suspect it had something to do with his not having size to standup against B1G DB's, or lack of downfield blocking. KirFer likes players that can do that... Regardless of speed.

I don't think we'll ever really know the answer to his playing time. He's smaller - new to the system - maybe he doesn't show 'em enuf in practice - KF tends to favor veterans - maybe he has a swagger that isn't "Iowa style"??? I'm sure there is more than one reason. One thing he showed in his first season was home-run threat potential. Smith and even Hillyer showed flashes of that as well. Though I doubt if either could win a sprint contest with him.

I hope the coaches use him more this year.

Willies will end up making you all forget about him.

If anyone has any links to any sports news or articles on Willie I would love to have a look at them. I'm done here in Atlanta, Georgia and all your hear about is $EC this and $EC that. I have heard similar comments about Willie from other posters so there must be something special about this kid.

The devil went down to Georgia to help with $EC recruiting. Rumor has it he left because even he isn't that corrupt. :cool:

If anyone has any links to any sports news or articles on Willie I would love to have a look at them. I'm done here in Atlanta, Georgia and all your hear about is $EC this and $EC that. I have heard similar comments about Willie from other posters so there must be something special about this kid.

The devil went down to Georgia to help with $EC recruiting. Rumor has it he left because even he isn't that corrupt. :cool:
That was written like you are from the south!

Its the same reason as why Banks didn't play as much. They were only able to learn 5 plays during an entire season.

Willies will end up making you all forget about him.
Mose, I'd love to see Willies and Powell split wide to the same side and see what happens. Willies looks like he'll be a ligit playmaker and has surprising speed. Powell, has proven he has the speed to get deep on most B1G db's. You could send Willies deep and cross Power over the middle, or vice versa. Just seems like an interesting duo, to me.

From what I saw of a couple of the spring practices I got to see he still has a case of the drops and just isn't quite on the same page as Rudock. After the practice the week of the coaches clinic he stayed after to run some extra routes with both he CJ. They were working on a deep corner route. The way they practice everything is so fast and they only have so many reps. I think the qbs throw like 65-70 passes or so. So take that times the 4 qbs and that's 265-280 balls. Start dividing that by all the WRs and TEs and RBs that practice running routes and catching and that gets cut down to less then 15-20 or so individually. Not counting the team scrimmage reps where you don't see the ball as much even when your in. I don't see Powell being a huge factor this year but he very well may pop up and make a handful of big plays. And just his being on the field might make the safetys keep an extra eye on him and open up the field for others.

... After the practice the week of the coaches clinic he stayed after to run some extra routes with both he CJ. They were working on a deep corner route. The way they practice everything is so fast and they only have so many reps....
When I hear this I think that maybe that magic chemistry thing is the CJ/DP combo. If/when CJ is in then they should put HIS number 1 WR in at the same time - that is transfer what is going on in practice to the game field. Makes sense to me.

Being on the field for 15-20 snaps isn't a lot, especially since those aren't always going to be pass plays.

When I hear this I think that maybe that magic chemistry thing is the CJ/DP combo. If/when CJ is in then they should put HIS number 1 WR in at the same time - that is transfer what is going on in practice to the game field. Makes sense to me.
It'll be interesting to see. I'm sure last year he caught more balls from CJ then Rudock just due to the fact he was running with the twos in practice more. Powell isn't going to be a complete receiver I don't think. He'll be a screen guy and deep guy. I don't see alot of inbetween for him. And with the other receivers they have that are better at the intermediate routes they won't need him to be. He probably dropped the most balls of any receiver from what I saw. Now granted I only saw 2 practices and the spring game. They had like 13 other practices and the practice in WDM I didn't see. A lot can change between the start of fall camp and kickoff.

Being on the field for 15-20 snaps isn't a lot, especially since those aren't always going to be pass plays.

People were saying he rarely played. He got PT, and couldn't produce. 15 to 20 reps is a healthy amount when the position goes 6 deep, and he was roughly #4 or #5.

He likely wasn't one of the better WR in practice. There is a reason Iowa was his only BCS offer.

It'll be interesting to see. I'm sure last year he caught more balls from CJ then Rudock just due to the fact he was running with the twos in practice more. Powell isn't going to be a complete receiver I don't think. He'll be a screen guy and deep guy. I don't see alot of inbetween for him. And with the other receivers they have that are better at the intermediate routes they won't need him to be. He probably dropped the most balls of any receiver from what I saw. Now granted I only saw 2 practices and the spring game. They had like 13 other practices and the practice in WDM I didn't see. A lot can change between the start of fall camp and kickoff.

I can tell this will be an interesting debate as the season rolls on. As a Hawkeye nerd I took the time to re-watch last season's games. 18 balls were thrown to him of which he caught 12. Several times he was open but the ball didn't come his way for one reason or another. 2 were uncatchable and 4 he couldn't hold on to. That translates to 75% success rate for him. I didn't track the other receivers/backs but K-Mart; CJ Fed and Smith seemed to be in the same ball park. Shumpert would be less than 75% if I had to guess. If he drops more in practice that would help explain his situation. But he may be a "game-day player" and from what I saw during the re-watch that would be a fair way to view him. Since GD luvs speed I would be surprised if he didn't see the field more in 2014. I think Hawkeye fans would be pleased if he had a Ramon Ochoa senior season.

As to the person who said "there is a reason Iowa was his only offer". Ummmm, he had the same offers as another Damond ("e") who happened to follow up his time at Iowa with an NFL All-Pro career.

Latest posts