Posting Images

S

Scorpio79

JD, did your programming monkey remove the option to post images from local drives because of security concerns??
I was hoping that feature would remain intact. Now it's back to URL only.
The deal: what is it?

It's a safeguard so you don't embarrass yourself by posting up teh pron pics that you have cleverly named on your hard drive to hide from your ladymanager.

I know JD's answer, but I wanted to axe the question anyways.

I know. I was going to post this booby picture that I took with my wife, but had to use a link instead of going right from my hard drive:

blue-footed-booby_473_600x450.jpg

I felt that the upload from desktop option could lead to some unsafe situations, plus some other potential problems.

JD, did your programming monkey remove the option to post images from local drives because of security concerns??
I was hoping that feature would remain intact.
Now it's back to URL only.
The deal: what is it?

We could do that with the most recent version of HN leading up till this change??????????????????????????????????

One of the problems with allowing loads from a computer is ownership, liability, etc. If you link from photos already on the web and it turns out to be a no-no, then the person who uploaded the photo is on the hook, not my company. If you upload a photo from your computer to this site, then a copy of it lives on this site and if that photo is shared around the web, we are the source of it...and if someone decides they dont like that, or uploaded it without permission, its on me.

I am removing the lowest common denominator issues ;)

I didn't think we could do that before. Could we? On the rare occasion I uploaded a photo here I had to put in on photobucket before it would let me put it here. Was I missing something?

I didn't think we could do that before. Could we? On the rare occasion I uploaded a photo here I had to put in on photobucket before it would let me put it here. Was I missing something?

In one of the original begining versions of his site, you could upload pics from your PC. You always could load an avatar from your PC, even now, from the looks of it.