Post PSU thoughts

CRlightweight

man, what a dual and what an experience to be in Carver. that was fun as hell.

Hawks looked great. I was hard on them after tOSU dual and others. i thought they looked slow, plodding adn relatively unathletic. Last night that was not the case at all. they moved well and looked very ready for the challenge from top to bottom. Iowa basically scored all the big important points. they got the TDs in crunch time and i thought that several of the PSU guys really softened up as the match went on. that surprised me.

125 what a war, that's all i can say. those two scrapped and fought for 9 minutes. that was a battle. For those that say megaludis 'does nothing' against McD just don't know wrestling. that kid goes hard and isn't going away. McD will probably have to beat him 2 more times. no small task, but he's up for the challenge. so impressed with both guys.

133 Ramos is a monster. he's really elevated himself to that top level this year with the other handful of elite guys. he and Steiber is goiing to be a war.

141 I thought Persall's body type might give Ballweg a little issues w/ the length and all, but it did not. Ballweg wrestled sounds and jsut attacked. He's making a believer out of a lot of people.

149 Alton and Grothus wrestle similar styles, its just Alton is much better at it. Alton is so dangerous but he better get that gas tank under control if he wants to place high.

157 DSJ is just a winner. nother fancy, but so good in all positions. just doesn't make mistakes. i haven't watched the replay but i would've maybe waved off the two, i felt he kept scrambling. my first thought was it was a 2 then wave off situation. but didnt' matter, he got it done.

165 DT is from another galaxy. he's really just one of the all time greats i think. He's a hard kid not to like in my opinion, just an amazing wrestler. Moore will be fine, he's just not in that league, or even close as we saw.

174 Evans has grit. he just keeps coming and coming. he'll be a tough matchup for any one in DSM. He's fun to watch wrestle.

184 Ruth is also from another galaxy. he just makes it looks so easy. it's like he's drilling out there, but the other guy is actually trying.

197 QW is dangerous and talented. more talented than Burak obviously. but at the beginning of the year i didn't think we'd get much from Burak at all but i don't think that way any more. He has a ton of hustle and fight and seems to get better each time out. I still don't see him as a high placer but it wouldn't surprise me if he got on a roll and won some matches in March and made a run at AA. i wouldn't have said that in Nov.

HWT Honestly i thought this was one of the brightest spots for the hawks all night. if they are going to take down PSU in march they need Bobby to place high. he's had some tough losses recently and hadn't really looked great doing it, but last night he looked awesome. really attacked on his feet, rode hard and just moved really really well.

It was a great win for iowa last night. I think most people still think PSU is the favorite in March and that they are a better tourney team than dual. Which i agree with. but Iowa is closing the gap on them for sure and this wiin last night is just going to make Big tens and nationals that much better. can't freakin wait!!

Can't disagree with any of your comments...dead on. I can't wait for the bigtens and nationals. I think we can get it done with McD, Ramos, DSJ, Evans all in the finals. Tall order but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Ballweg, Moore, Burak and I'll just now say 184 needs to AA or get some much needed points. Great being a Hawkeye!

I second that, great sum up. Someone said it earlier, McD's weight has caught up with him a bit. Nonetheless, he had heart and will be a three timer and one of the greats. DSJ will win 5-2 kind of match whether he's wrestling a ranked guy or an unbanked guy, he just wrestles smart and wins. Nice to see Evans get the big win, He's had a couple of close losses and needed this one for seeding.

Awesome win, wish I could have been in the atmosphere. Big Tens and Nationals are going to be a treat this year.

I two have been hard on most of our guys early in the season about being heavy on thier feet and not ready. Last night showed me alot. Things are coming together at the right time of year. with a little luck i can see qualifing 8 for DSM. If lofthouse or even GG can get something going at 84, i can see 9 weights going. 149 is where i see a bit of an issue. I believe Brody will be a good one, and kelly i just don't see as much progress as i thought we would. Regardless, last night with the crowd, and the intensity on the mat is why Iowa City is "The Best Place" to watch college wresting hands down. To any board surfers from any other college program out there that are trolling today, if you want to see what a college wrestling meet is supposed to be, come to Carver.
Thank you Dan Gable for what you created and thank you Tom Brands for keeping the tradition alive!!

That was a great meet. I watched it this morning and had no idea who had won.

The overwhelming thought for me is Taylor and Ruth are just plain fun to watch. They're both constantly on the attack. It seems no matter what the opponent does in any position, they're going to take advantage and score. I can't wait to see Dake and Taylor at the NCAAs. It's hard to imagine anyone can beat Taylor once, let alone twice.

right on CRlight

As for Evans - he has more work to do before the b10s - IL and NE guys are good.

As for Ruth and Taylor - they both are good and likely in the NC finals - but they are not "great" by any means.

right on CRlight

As for Evans - he has more work to do before the b10s - IL and NE guys are good.

As for Ruth and Taylor - they both are good and likely in the NC finals - but they are not "great" by any means.

well i disagree with you on that, but i have a couple questions. So who do you consider 'great' in college wrestling then and what is the reason you don't consider them great? just curious.

Yeah no kidding! How do you not call Ruth great? He played with our guy like a dog with a baby bird!

well i disagree with you on that, but i have a couple questions. So who do you consider 'great' in college wrestling then and what is the reason you don't consider them great? just curious.

Cael, Brands, Gable, John Smith, Dake, and others like Hebert

those two COULD be great if they continue on the path they SEEM headed for - but they are not great now - they are good wrestlers that may win a NC that is it for now! If taylor or ruth does not win the NC this season do you consider them great? I think a ***** slap to taylor by Dake will change your mind - also the reverse may change mine. but until then - they are not great .....

Yeah no kidding! How do you not call Ruth great? He played with our guy like a dog with a baby bird!

Ramos tossed that rag around all night and finished him - Ruth did nothing with an unranked wrestler (and got took down with an easy double leg)

Last edited:

those two COULD be great if they continue on the path they SEEM headed for - but they are not great now - they are good wrestlers that may win a NC that is it for now! If taylor or ruth does not win the NC this season do you consider them great? I think a ***** slap to taylor by Dake will change your mind - also the reverse may change mine. but until then - they are not great .....
So Dake is "great" but Taylor, who's basically at exactly the same level is not? Ruth is probably the best wrestler at ANY weight right now, and that includes Dake. Dake can't toy with good opponents the way Ruth does.

So Dake is "great" but Taylor, who's basically at exactly the same level is not? Ruth is probably the best wrestler at ANY weight right now, and that includes Dake. Dake can't toy with good opponents the way Ruth does.

Dake = 3 NCs

Taylor has a ways to go - btw - if you know anything about the sport - there is a very fine line between great (like an Olympic gold medal) and pretty damn good like a bronze.

Ruth did not win 2 NCs his first 2 years - he has work to do before the great label means anything - he needs to stand the test of time

why is this so difficult? and why are you guys defending PSU guys that are far from being finished with their careers. they both have work to do imo. but crown them now if that makes you feel like the jimmy the greek of the college wrestling world.

A fan of the sport doesn't have too like or cheer for a wrestler to respect how good they are. Not only is Taylor a stud that wrestles hard seven minutes every match(if it lasts that long), but he seems like a great kid. For example, his post match interview was classy as hell. He even gave Ramos props for having a great match. And if his wrestling isn't evidence enough, I think his Hodge Trophy kind of speaks for itself.

Go Hawks and can't wait for the tournaments!

Dake = 3 NCs

Taylor has a ways to go - btw - if you know anything about the sport - there is a very fine line between great (like an Olympic gold medal) and pretty damn good like a bronze.

Ruth did not win 2 NCs his first 2 years - he has work to do before the great label means anything - he needs to stand the test of time

why is this so difficult? and why are you guys defending PSU guys that are far from being finished with their careers. they both have work to do imo. but crown them now if that makes you feel like the jimmy the greek of the college wrestling world.

A fan of the sport doesn't have too like or cheer for a wrestler to respect how good they are. Not only is Taylor a stud that wrestles hard seven minutes every match(if it lasts that long), but he seems like a great kid. For example, his post match interview was classy as hell. He even gave Ramos props for having a great match. And if his wrestling isn't evidence enough, I think his Hodge Trophy kind of speaks for itself.

Go Hawks and can't wait for the tournaments!

Very rarely does DT wrestle for seven minutes ;)

well i understand wanting to wait until their careers are done before putting any official titles on them. I guess i just see DT as a once in 10-15 years type talent. like a McIlravy. Even if he were to lose to Dake in the finals this year it wouldn't really change my opinion that much because if that were to happen I would say that Dake has the most impressive resume in the history of college wrestling. even more so than Sanderson. But yeah if you want to wait until their careers are finished to make any definitive statements, i get that.

What's even more crazy is that DT could end up with only 1 title if he loses to Dake this year and Howe is in the same weight class next year.

well i understand wanting to wait until their careers are done before putting any official titles on them. I guess i just see DT as a once in 10-15 years type talent. like a McIlravy. Even if he were to lose to Dake in the finals this year it wouldn't really change my opinion that much because if that were to happen I would say that Dake has the most impressive resume in the history of college wrestling. even more so than Sanderson. But yeah if you want to wait until their careers are finished to make any definitive statements, i get that.

Agree 100%. Also, excellent summary of the Hawks big victory!

That was a great meet. I watched it this morning and had no idea who had won. I can't wait to see Dake and Taylor at the NCAAs. It's hard to imagine anyone can beat Taylor once, let alone twice.
Dake has already beaten Taylor twice this year. He did at the Southern Scuffle and even though it doesn't count towards the records of either Dake beat Taylor 2-1 at the all star meet at the beginning of the year, therefore Taylor only has "1" loss on the year.

Good recap. Friday night was a blast. It was great seeing the whole team wrestle well and beat the #1 team. There were so many good moments: McD gutting one out against his only real competition, Ramos' pin, DSJ and Evans winning late, Taylor showing that he's ready for a rematch with Dake and Telford wrestling a really tough match. PSU will still win the tournament, as Taylor and Ruth will score bonus points all the way to the finals, but it's going to be a heck of a run for 2nd place between IA, MN and Okie St.

Latest posts