possibly unpopular: discussion about the fans

I have had season tickets for 13 years and I have not seen the crowd get into it when the team is struggling as bad as Iowa did in the first half today. So I wouldn't blame the crowd there, it was very hard to cheer that first half effort. The crowd rose to the occassion late in the 3rd quarter and the entire 4th quarter. Clearly IU was rattled in the 4th quarter and the crowd had something to do with that.

But I agree with some of what you said. There were some very ignorant fans in Kinnick today. Suddenly everyone is a football expert in the stands. I heard one guy say Spievey tried to return that punt at the end of the 1st half because the media has gotten to him and made him think he's an NFL player so he's out trying to make plays to prove he belongs in the NFL. One of many stupid comments I heard today.

I made that exact comment, I wonder if you were sitting by me or if someone else is that intelligent. What other explanation do you have for fielding that ball? Of course he knows NFL scouts are in the stands, he wants to make a play. That very plausible could have been a reason he fielded the punt inside the 10 instead of letting it go. To think otherwise is completely niave!!

IOWA played as bad as I can imagine this team playing for almost 3 full quarters of football. You blame the fans for not being excited and going crazy? My brother and I were texting during the game and both asked about possible benching of Stanzi at the same time after 5 picks. Not exactly a situation that will bring about unbridled enthusiasm.

As for booing, I hear your complaints and don't really excuse it, but Stanzi said post-game that he would have booed himself.

Latest posts