Possible Iowa 2014 Starting Lineup

I'm not really sure which games you are watching. Against teams with a pulse defensively, and I don't include NIU, Weisman was able to do nothing and looked very bad doing it. Certainly the offensive line push may have not been there, but against defenses with speed and size, you need a guy that just needs a crease to get positive yardage...and when he sees the crease, he's gone. Canzeri made big plays against a few of these defenses where Weisman couldn't, and I'm talking not one time against MSU, or LSU, how was Canzeri able to break something against some of these defenses...there's your story.

The carries should be switched...and I think Daniels takes some of them next year too. I'm thinking there may be a move to FB for Mark...which is where he should be. and to another poster...he can block well.

He did well against O$U. But splitting carries and abandoning the run game can mess that up. And why NOT include NIU?

<<I'm thinking there may be a move to FB for Mark...>>

That's called "wishful" thinking :)

Responding to a couple posts in this thread:

- Very, very slim chance Gilson starts. He is strictly a MLB, and Alston all but has that spot wrapped up. Alston is at his best in the middle. Alston, Perry, and Spearman look to be the likely starters (unless Spearman grows into a DE).

- Weismann will not be moved to FB, and I don't want him to be. His role SHOULD be that of a short-yardage/goal line back but will likely get significant carries. Cox and Plewa have done a remarkable job at FB, I don't think Weismann could beat either of them out.

It'll be interesting to see what commits will see action from the 2014 recruiting class.

Here's the class as follows:

P Dillon Kidd 6'1" 210--Transfer from El Camino JC; Played @ FSU; Came from Milford Academy; Father played in NFL

QB Tyler Wiegers 6'3" 195--Decommit from Rutgers

OLB Parker Hesse 6'3" 208

RB Markel Smith 5'11" 210--Decommit from Missouri

CB Jalen Embry 5'11" 180

CB Marcel Joly 5'11" 190

CB Joshua Jackson 6'1" 170

OLB Aaron Mends 6'0" 200

OLB Ben Niemann 6'3" 200--Decommit from NIU; Father is DC @ NIU

DE Terrence Harris 6'3" 250

K Mick Ellis 5'9" 190

DE Matt Nelson 6'8" 240

OG Keegan Render 6'4" 315

DE Jameer Outsey 6'3" 225 4.80 40

S Jyaz Jones 6'1" 180 4.53 40--Decommit from CSU; WR A.J. is brother

RB C.J. Hilliard 5'10" 185

CB Omar Truitt 5'11" 180--Father played in NFL

OG Lucas LeGrand 6'5" 260

WR Jay Scheel 6'1" 170

Any suggestions?

If only Kirk and Greg would read that post (win one this century) and follow through I see 11-1….. But we all know Kirk and the first fumble by any of your top three means it's time to pack it in for the year and give it a go next season.

I would agree with you, and so would Kirk, but Mark Weisman had the first fumble for a loss of the year.... Wtf? Happened there???

You left out pr and kr I am hoping they can find someone good for these two positions.

PR - kmm (back up will be mccarron)

KR - all speculation I think Canzeri or Powell...Canzeri already has some and Powell has the speed too. No way you take cotton out of it this year when he was a senior considering what he did as a jr...people calling for Powell this year didn't understand how good cotton was. Whoever goes next year has big shoes to fill.

It'll be interesting to see what commits will see action from the 2014 recruiting class.

Here's the class as follows:

P Dillon Kidd 6'1" 210--Transfer from El Camino JC; Played @ FSU; Came from Milford Academy; Father played in NFL

QB Tyler Wiegers 6'3" 195--Decommit from Rutgers

OLB Parker Hesse 6'3" 208

RB Markel Smith 5'11" 210--Decommit from Missouri

CB Jalen Embry 5'11" 180

CB Marcel Joly 5'11" 190

CB Joshua Jackson 6'1" 170

OLB Aaron Mends 6'0" 200

OLB Ben Niemann 6'3" 200--Decommit from NIU; Father is DC @ NIU

DE Terrence Harris 6'3" 250

K Mick Ellis 5'9" 190

DE Matt Nelson 6'8" 240

OG Keegan Render 6'4" 315

DE Jameer Outsey 6'3" 225 4.80 40

S Jyaz Jones 6'1" 180 4.53 40--Decommit from CSU; WR A.J. is brother

RB C.J. Hilliard 5'10" 185

CB Omar Truitt 5'11" 180--Father played in NFL

OG Lucas LeGrand 6'5" 260

WR Jay Scheel 6'1" 170

Any suggestions?

My suggestions would be Truitt, Joly ad Mends Iowa tends to play freshman DBs on Special teams. I think Mends is a LB who will be asked to contribute on special teams too. Will be small group of freshmen playing, similar to 2013.

Responding to a couple posts in this thread:

- Very, very slim chance Gilson starts. He is strictly a MLB, and Alston all but has that spot wrapped up. Alston is at his best in the middle. Alston, Perry, and Spearman look to be the likely starters (unless Spearman grows into a DE).

- Weismann will not be moved to FB, and I don't want him to be. His role SHOULD be that of a short-yardage/goal line back but will likely get significant carries. Cox and Plewa have done a remarkable job at FB, I don't think Weismann could beat either of them out.

Actually, I am not a huge fan of using MW in obvious short yardage or goal line situations. He just isn't great at adjusting against a stacked line or hitting the hole quickly. I think he is better in the middle of the field when the D is spread out more.

What starting lineup would YOU Like to see??

Beathard at QB, Canzeri as the featured back, Weisman playing a little fullback as well as RB, Bullock goes to wide receiver and Powell is in for a least half the plays, I don't care if he knows, or has ever seen the playbook.

I think that gives the Hawks the most speed, and that's what I think is missing.

I know Rudock was hurt, but when the stretch play to Weisman isn't working, like in the LSU game, you have a QB that can't run or throw long. That's when a game manager doesn't work. That makes Iowa a pretty easy team to defend.

Really liking the look of next years team.

I think Canzeri gets a lot more carries next year. We'll see how the off season goes at QB.

Both lines look really promising next year which is the corner stone of great KF teams. Hopefully special teams improves to hit the trifecta.

I must have missed something. Why is there no mention of Darian Cooper?

Probably because this was a talk about starters and unless he moves to de he doesn't look like he will start since the two guys at dt both return. Ltp was great this year. And I thought cooper would take the job from Davis but was pleasantly surprised at how well he played. At this point cooper will rotate in but the starters are obvious at dt.

I'm not really sure which games you are watching. Against teams with a pulse defensively, and I don't include NIU, Weisman was able to do nothing and looked very bad doing it. Certainly the offensive line push may have not been there, but against defenses with speed and size, you need a guy that just needs a crease to get positive yardage...and when he sees the crease, he's gone. Canzeri made big plays against a few of these defenses where Weisman couldn't, and I'm talking not one time against MSU, or LSU, how was Canzeri able to break something against some of these defenses...there's your story.

The carries should be switched...and I think Daniels takes some of them next year too. I'm thinking there may be a move to FB for Mark...which is where he should be. and to another poster...he can block well.

This. Although I will not be surprised to see the coaches use a turtle quick Weisman at RB. One of the worst gameplans ever, was using MW as our feature back against a lightening fast LSU defense. It was so blatantly obvious Before the game, I am still dumbfounded yet today. If MW is our feature back next year, 8-4 will be lucky. Barring a better defense.
I am sorry, but the guy is simply not quick. And those thinking of "mixing it up" that is foolish as well, as his pass blocking is suspect. And he cannot play on the wing at all. No IFs, ANDs or BUTs about that....

As for receiver, we have been at the bottom of the B1G the last two seasons. Literally. KMM does not have it. And what the ____ was Shumpert even in the game for? Thank the FB gods he is a senior. Do the same as RB, Wipe the slate clean, and start anew.

KMM is on pace to break Kevin Kasper's career reception record. He does his job well. Only 25 more will be needed next year.

KMM is on pace to break Kevin Kasper's career reception record. He does his job well. Only 25 more will be needed next year.

Unfortunately that says more about our supporting cast at WR, than it does about KMM.... Our receivers as a whole are horrendous.... I would take Kasper over KMM any year. Hands down. No question about it. Kevin was a great possesion receiver, with some serious wheels... That said, KMM is ok. He got a lot of receptions his freshman year, where Kasper got none. However, if you gave him just one more decent-to-ok receiver to play along side him the last 2 years, he isn't even close to Kevin Kasper's reception mark...

The Hawkeyes are simply going to need a much better supporting cast, or this team isn't going to get it done offensively(barring the 2nd coming of Shonn Greene) . Get Rudock the WRs he needs, & deserves, and this guy is All-B1G. Without them, a lot of Iowa fans will be calling for the 2nd string QB, sadly.

Last edited:
Kevin Kasper actually had 1 reception for 19 yards his freshman year. His big year was his senior year 82 receptions for 1010 yards.

Very well said. It would sure make Ruddock look better if the WR group were more talented.

Unfortunately that says more about our supporting cast at WR, than it does about KMM.... Our receivers as a whole are horrendous.... I would take Kasper over KMM any year. Hands down. No question about it. Kevin was a great possesion receiver, with some serious wheels... That said, KMM is ok. He got a lot of receptions his freshman year, where Kasper got none. However, if you gave him just one more decent-to-ok receiver to play along side him the last 2 years, he isn't even close to Kevin Kasper's reception mark...

The Hawkeyes are simply going to need a much better supporting cast, or this team isn't going to get it done offensively(barring the 2nd coming of Shonn Greene) . Get Rudock the WRs he needs, & deserves, and this guy is All-B1G. Without them, a lot of Iowa fans will be calling for the 2nd string QB, sadly.

Having better receivers doesn't make your arm stronger or make you run faster. I like the odds of Beathard learning the offense more than I do Ruddock improving his physical skills.

To go to the next level I think Iowa needs a dynamic player at the QB position and not a game manager.

I like Ruddock, he's the kind of guy you hope your daughter dates (or your wife, if it means game tickets) and I hope he has a great season, I just think Beathard has a better chance to be that dynamic player.