Possible Iowa 2014 Starting Lineup

KatoZenti

The Des Moines Sunday Register put together Iowa's possible 2014 starting lineup as follows by Rick Brown:

Offense

QB--Jake Rudock: Started every game. Will get competition from C.J. Beathard.

RB--Mark Weisman: Personifies power football, Iowa style. Finished 25 yards shy of 1,000.

FB--Adam Cox: Mr. Dependable as a lead blocker. Can catch passes, too.

WR--Kevonte Martin-Manley: Rudock's go-to-guy with team high 40 catches, five touchdowns.

SE--Tevaun Smith: Made one of the biggest jumps on team. Playmaker potential.

TE--Ray Hamilton: Saw a lot of action in 2013. Jake Duzey on the same line.

LT--Brandon Scherff: Passed on NFL to return. Legit star.

LG--Andrew Donnal: Team's most versatile lineman has played guard and tackle.

C--Austin Blythe: Rock solid over the ball. Tremendous upside with two seasons left.

RG--Jordan Walsh: Started every game as sophomore. Will be challenged to keep his spot.

RT--Ryan Ward: Redshirt sophomore next man in. Donnal could slide here.

P--Connor Kornbrath: Needs to improve consistency. Had good day at Outback.

Defense

LE--Drew Ott: Emerged in second half of season. Big upside with two seasons left.

LT--Carl Davis: Made huge strides against double teams all year. All-Big Ten potential.

RT--Louis Trinca-Pasat: Grind-it-out gritty performer. Outworks opponents.

RE--Mike Hardy: Filled in for injured Dominic Alvis and got valuable experience.

LB--Quinton Alston: Fifth-year senior has waited his turn behind James Morris in middle.

LB--Travis Perry: Walk-on has emerged at outside spot.

LB--Reggie Spearman: Anthony Hitchens' understudy got experience as true freshman.

CB--Desmond King: True freshman started 12 games. Exciting future.

CB--Jordan Lomax: Started first game but was injured. Could get look at free safety.

SS--John Lowdermilk: Solid, consistent starter in 2013. Will be a senior.

FS--Anthony Gair: No. 2 behind Tanner Miller in 2013. Three years of eligibility left.

PK--Marshall Koehn: Leading candidate to replace four-year kicker Mike Meyer.

First-year starter Jake Rudock threw for 2,383 yards, 18 TDs and 13 interceptions this season.

Defensive tackle Carl Davis made 42 tackles, four tackles for loss and 1 1/2 sacks as a junior. A Michigan native, Davis said, "I don't think I'm NFL ready." It took Davis four years in the program to make the starting lineup in 2013. He's a player not heavily recruited by college football's bluebloods, one who quitely works his way from the potential that got him recruited to the field. Redshirt freshman Jaleel Johnson, who is backing him up, will learn patience from Davis, who will be called on to be a leader.

All-Big Ten left tackle Brandon Scherff will anchor the offensive line.

Running backs Jordan Canzeri, Damon Bullock and freshman LeShun Daniels should help improve the running game, along with redshirt freshmen Akrum Wadley and Jonathan Parker.

Any thoughts on this possible 2014 starting lineup?

Well, Mark Weisman reminds me alot of Tre Mason, only slower, less shifty, and less powerful. Let's do this instead:

RB--Jordan Canzeri/Lashun Daniels/Markel Smith: After watching the other bowl games, Kirk Ferentz realizes he has an issue at RB. He didn't know other backs actually make the offensive line better and could create on their own.
Q
FB--Mark Weisman - Outstanding fullback with both blocking and pass catching ability. Could be one of the best FB's in CFB...great leader and teammate.

If only Kirk and Greg would read that post (win one this century) and follow through I see 11-1….. But we all know Kirk and the first fumble by any of your top three means it's time to pack it in for the year and give it a go next season.

I think it will be interesting to see how the safety position plays out and the corner position. Lots of young talented guys there that could make a play. King and Lowdermilk are locked in. But Lomax, Lile, Buford, Campbell, Draper, Fleming, Law, and Rucker could have a say in that.

DL, lots of good young guys not mentioned that can rotate. LB is obviously worrisome right now. I think RB usage will be interesting too. I hope to see less Weisman and more Daniels/Canzeri.

FB--Mark Weisman - Outstanding fullback with both blocking and pass catching ability. Could be one of the best FB's in CFB...great leader and teammate.
Not saying you're wrong, but I just can't remember much evidence of Weisman being a good blocker. In fact, I seem to recall a few missed assignments.

Weisman is very unlikely to move to FB. I don't know why people delude themselves.

Internet Coaching Legends will do that.

He is a ball-carrier. Not our most "big-play-capable" or "fastest", perhaps, but in our system, putting him at FB is akin to moving a WR to TE "just because he's tall".

Weisman may, indeed, look like a FB, be built like a FB, not have the top-end speed of the fastest RBs, etc. But make no mistake, he is best carrying the ball. "Utilization" is the problem, plus repetitive play-calling, lack of mixing it up, etc. Mark Weisman, himself, is hardly the problem.

He will make a strong push and compete for a starting job. I say he might start, or he will pressure one of the other linebackers to improve to beat him for the job.

seems to me that we might get an extra scoring drive or two from our current #2 QB each game in 2014 however in the first few games he may make a few mistakes that Rudock would not. But by mid season, that mistakes will be behind himm.

I expect that RB will become more of a shared position with Weisman, Canzeri, and Bullock/Daniels. JC proved himself in 2013 so he will get more calls in 2014.

What I will be anxious to see is if Carl Davis can continue to improve to "NFL ready" and how the DE position plays out. I am hoping Nate Meier becomes a factor there. Will Spears and McMinn stay healthy and get their chances?? Ott and Hardy were adequate but would be nice to see someone step up and become more of pass rushing threat.

At LB, Alston, Perry and Spearman is a good start. I think Fisher will become a factor along with Gilson. Others like Kenny and Jewell will be on ST and gain experience.

The Des Moines Sunday Register put together Iowa's possible 2014 starting lineup as follows by Rick Brown:

Offense

QB--Jake Rudock: Started every game. Will get competition from C.J. Beathard.

RB--Mark Weisman: Personifies power football, Iowa style. Finished 25 yards shy of 1,000.

FB--Adam Cox: Mr. Dependable as a lead blocker. Can catch passes, too.

WR--Kevonte Martin-Manley: Rudock's go-to-guy with team high 40 catches, five touchdowns.

SE--Tevaun Smith: Made one of the biggest jumps on team. Playmaker potential.

TE--Ray Hamilton: Saw a lot of action in 2013. Jake Duzey on the same line.

LT--Brandon Scherff: Passed on NFL to return. Legit star.

LG--Andrew Donnal: Team's most versatile lineman has played guard and tackle.

C--Austin Blythe: Rock solid over the ball. Tremendous upside with two seasons left.

RG--Jordan Walsh: Started every game as sophomore. Will be challenged to keep his spot.

RT--Ryan Ward: Redshirt sophomore next man in. Donnal could slide here.

P--Connor Kornbrath: Needs to improve consistency. Had good day at Outback.

Defense

LE--Drew Ott: Emerged in second half of season. Big upside with two seasons left.

LT--Carl Davis: Made huge strides against double teams all year. All-Big Ten potential.

RT--Louis Trinca-Pasat: Grind-it-out gritty performer. Outworks opponents.

RE--Mike Hardy: Filled in for injured Dominic Alvis and got valuable experience.

LB--Quinton Alston: Fifth-year senior has waited his turn behind James Morris in middle.

LB--Travis Perry: Walk-on has emerged at outside spot.

LB--Reggie Spearman: Anthony Hitchens' understudy got experience as true freshman.

CB--Desmond King: True freshman started 12 games. Exciting future.

CB--Jordan Lomax: Started first game but was injured. Could get look at free safety.

SS--John Lowdermilk: Solid, consistent starter in 2013. Will be a senior.

FS--Anthony Gair: No. 2 behind Tanner Miller in 2013. Three years of eligibility left.

PK--Marshall Koehn: Leading candidate to replace four-year kicker Mike Meyer.

First-year starter Jake Rudock threw for 2,383 yards, 18 TDs and 13 interceptions this season.

Defensive tackle Carl Davis made 42 tackles, four tackles for loss and 1 1/2 sacks as a junior. A Michigan native, Davis said, "I don't think I'm NFL ready." It took Davis four years in the program to make the starting lineup in 2013. He's a player not heavily recruited by college football's bluebloods, one who quitely works his way from the potential that got him recruited to the field. Redshirt freshman Jaleel Johnson, who is backing him up, will learn patience from Davis, who will be called on to be a leader.

All-Big Ten left tackle Brandon Scherff will anchor the offensive line.

Running backs Jordan Canzeri, Damon Bullock and freshman LeShun Daniels should help improve the running game, along with redshirt freshmen Akrum Wadley and Jonathan Parker.

Any thoughts on this possible 2014 starting lineup?
You left out pr and kr I am hoping they can find someone good for these two positions.

Internet Coaching Legends will do that.

He is a ball-carrier. Not our most "big-play-capable" or "fastest", perhaps, but in our system, putting him at FB is akin to moving a WR to TE "just because he's tall".

Weisman may, indeed, look like a FB, be built like a FB, not have the top-end speed of the fastest RBs, etc. But make no mistake, he is best carrying the ball. "Utilization" is the problem, plus repetitive play-calling, lack of mixing it up, etc. Mark Weisman, himself, is hardly the problem.

I'm not really sure which games you are watching. Against teams with a pulse defensively, and I don't include NIU, Weisman was able to do nothing and looked very bad doing it. Certainly the offensive line push may have not been there, but against defenses with speed and size, you need a guy that just needs a crease to get positive yardage...and when he sees the crease, he's gone. Canzeri made big plays against a few of these defenses where Weisman couldn't, and I'm talking not one time against MSU, or LSU, how was Canzeri able to break something against some of these defenses...there's your story.

The carries should be switched...and I think Daniels takes some of them next year too. I'm thinking there may be a move to FB for Mark...which is where he should be. and to another poster...he can block well.

Another position not listed is long snapper. I would expect that Tyler Kluver, red shirt freshman out of Marshalltown takes over the job. Does anyone think that someone will be in major competition with him? I hope he can be as successful as Casey Kreiter was.

The key is Greg Davis. I have been against the hire from the start. Has Iowa beat a top 25 team since Greg Davis has been here? I know Ferentz has some control over the offense, but The offensive play calling is nothing but puzzling. Somebody with half a brain needs to be running this offense, whether is Ferentz, Davis, or somebody else.....

Latest posts