Poll: 2016&17 rather have been 10-3, 5-7?

What would your preference have been?

• 10-3, 5-7

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 8-5, 8-5 as they happened

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

hawkeyes87

The last 2 years the Hawks were 8-5. 16-10 overall Not top-25 either year, but bowling both years

I'm curious whether given the choice you'd rather have had 1 very good year and 1 poor year. I know 10-3, 5-7 is only 15-10 so they're short a win there, but wanted to keep it so one year was very good but not great and the other was a losing & no bowl year (6-7 would have meant a bowl).

And it's just hypothetical, so don't get hung up on whether 2016 or 17 was the good one, or did that mean a B1G West title. Let's just leave it at 10-3, and whatever range of accomplishments that might imply. Probably not quite top-10, but likely at least 15-20th. An upper B1G bowl.

I voted category 1. Being ranked helps in every way. Obviously imo we had DaHorses to win 10 games both years. But hey, it coulda been worse--> (I feel all icky now)

You don't get into the conference title game either way. Otherwise you would have played 14 games.
Right- like I said, I wanted to leave the one season as "very good", not "great".

I assume most would be okay with a losing season if it went with a great season. "Very good" makes it a tougher choice.

So what's your vote?

I guess 10-3 in 2016 probably means NDSU misses it last second FG, and NDSU loses to Iowa. Then I guess Iowa rallies to beat NW in OT. Throw in the last second win that actually did happen, that would be a very lucky 10-2 season. But the end result would still be same. Wisconsin stll wins the division. Iowa still goes yo the Outback bowl and gets blown out by Florida. Final record 10-3.

Maybe Iowa finishes in the top 25 but other than that, there is nothing else special that happens in a 10-3 2016 season compared to 8-5.

Now if Iowa finishes 10-3 in 2017, that probably means Amani hooker tips that pass on PSU's last play and Iowa beats PSU, then Iowa beats NW in OT. Again it would seem like a lucky 9-3. Iowa goes to the Holiday bowl and beats WSU.

Now that 2017 season I would take, but if it means the 2016 seniors finish 5-7 thats not fair.

In the end, teams should get the record they deserve.

Right- like I said, I wanted to leave the one season as "very good", not "great".

I assume most would be okay with a losing season if it went with a great season. "Very good" makes it a tougher choice.

So what's your vote?

I don't think very many would be happy with 5-7, coming off a great year. 2015 was very very good, sooo close to unbelievably great. Many folks were pretty upset with 2016, and it was quite better than 5-7.

If 12 wins, with no title didn't fly, 10 wins without even winning the West sure wouldnt.

I don't think very many would be happy with 5-7, coming off a great year. 2015 was very very good, sooo close to unbelievably great. Many folks were pretty upset with 2016, and it was quite better than 5-7.

If 12 wins, with no title didn't fly, 10 wins without even winning the West sure wouldnt.

Remember, I'm talking about happiness w/ the two year window, not the individual seasons w/in it. To use the 2015 example, I suspect people would prefer 2015 (12-2) and a 4-8 season, over a couple 8-5's. That's not to be confused w/ me saying "I expect people would be happy w/ 4-8".

Remember, I'm talking about happiness w/ the two year window, not the individual seasons w/in it. To use the 2015 example, I suspect people would prefer 2015 (12-2) and a 4-8 season, over a couple 8-5's. That's not to be confused w/ me saying "I expect people would be happy w/ 4-8".

but folks don't think in "two year window" terms. It's thought provoking but ultimately "what have you done for me most recently" still reigns....so if you switch it to 4-8, then 12-2....sure....as long as it's followed by another 10+ win season.

As it's stated, I'll take the 8-5's.

So, pulling from your own signature, you're saying you prefer 2 "good's" to 1 "rare and awesome"?

Or are you gonna be changing your sig? (maybe since they keep failing the "no blowout losses" clause...)

In your context, I guess I am. Quote the rest for more of my context and thought on the matter. Again, switch the order, might change perspective.

No, don't plan on it. What my expectations are remain the same.

ESPN, in their final poll (before the championship) has Iowa ranked 23rd in the country. Guess I was a bit surprised, but pleased. Approve of the decision or not, its there, in print.

ESPN, in their final poll (before the championship) has Iowa ranked 23rd in the country. Guess I was a bit surprised, but pleased. Approve of the decision or not, its there, in print.
Are you sure you're not looking at the "Power Index"? That's not a poll.

2015 & 2016
10-3 like losing to Wisconsin and Pitt, than get totally embarrassed by Standford in the rose bowl.
5-7 as Greg Davis's last year.

That was ESPN's Power Index. A lot of statistical computer models liked Iowa. None of them actually watches Iowa's offense.

I would prefer that all years...Iowa would have at least one wide receiver who can get open, and a coaching plan that will try to throw the ball to him.

Thank You

I was checking through facebook when I saw whatever it was I saw from ESPN. I thought it referenced a poll, but certainly could have been something different. I just took a quick look and I generally ignore ESPN. I would say that I was glad to see Iowa listed, of course.

Latest posts