Polasek & Copeland Hirings Made Official

I don't think it would take Sherlock Holmes to detect that the way the staff is shaping up it's angling towards what it'll look like when KF steps down. Now granted 2 or 3 yrs is a long long time in this world and a lot can change. If Iowa stinks it up they'll be a whole lot less inclined to just hand the torch over to Brian. But if they do well.... It would be interesting to see if and who amongst former teammates of Brians that he'd possibly bring on down the road. But again we are a long ways from that talk mattering

Totally agree. I think the 10 year contract was always about making sure Brian is the next head coach. This was to insure that KF can step down and walk about from the contract when he wants "as long as Brian" is named coach.

Totally agree. I think the 10 year contract was always about making sure Brian is the next head coach. This was to insure that KF can step down and walk about from the contract when he wants "as long as Brian" is named coach.
Hard to argue with that. Hiring Brian might end up being the last big thing Barta ends up doing too. Which would make it an interesting dynamic. If Brian has a new AD shortly after having the torch handed to him he may be on a shorter leash then he'd be comfortable with...

Why does it feel like HN is ok with BF being the next head coach?

Guess that's how it works in dictatorships,eventually you just accept life the way it is

We have zero evdidende Brian being capable of leading a program, let alone an offense.

ITs just baffling to me

Why does it feel like HN is ok with BF being the next head coach?

Guess that's how it works in dictatorships,eventually you just accept life the way it is

We have zero evdidende Brian being capable of leading a program, let alone an offense.

ITs just baffling to me

Optimism. This is sports, not real life. Speaking only for myself, I enjoy following the Hawks most when I am optimistic about their future. And since this is nothing more than an entertainment product, I am going to experience it in the way that brings me the most enjoyment. So until proven otherwise, I assume Brian Ferentz will be some sort of a hybrid between Paul Brown, Don Coryell, Bill Walsh, and Mike Martz.

Everything is pointing to BF taking over as head coach in 2020 as long as Iowa is at least moderately succesful in 2019.

I don't think it would take Sherlock Holmes to detect that the way the staff is shaping up it's angling towards what it'll look like when KF steps down. Now granted 2 or 3 yrs is a long long time in this world and a lot can change. If Iowa stinks it up they'll be a whole lot less inclined to just hand the torch over to Brian. But if they do well.... It would be interesting to see if and who amongst former teammates of Brians that he'd possibly bring on down the road. But again we are a long ways from that talk mattering
If we see a new fangled, more explosive offense from Iowa this year, this is the best indicator that KF is not long for Iowa because he'll have loosened his tight grip on the team. .
KF hired KOK, though, as receiver's coach...Anyway, I'll point it out when I see it and not when I hope for it like some other posters.

You know, KF just booted an OC that didn't follow his wishes. Why would he turn about-face (a dynamic Iowa offense) so soon? Unless he no longer cares about Iowa football other than getting his son in as HC. That stepping stone to HC being OC.

Last edited:
If we see a new fangled, more explosive offense from Iowa this year, this is the best indicator that KF is not long for Iowa. He'll have loosened his tight grip on the team and that is an indication of him wanting to step down soon.
KF hired KOK, though, as receiver's coach...Anyway, I'll point it out when I see it and not when I hope for it like some other posters.

You know, KF just booted an OC that didn't follow his wishes. Why would he turn about-face (a dynamic Iowa offense) so soon? Unless he no longer cares about Iowa football other than getting his son in as HC. That stepping stone to HC is OC.
I think KOKs 3 yr golden parachute of a deal is telling as far as timing goes... I think he'll not only be tutoring Mr Stanley as he gets going but Brian as to some of the ins and outs of his gig and play calling. It'd only make sense and he's an ear that Brian can go to that's not his Dad and respect. I wonder how weird it might be for KOK. He's known Brian since he was knee high and coached him too. The result of getting old I suppose.
I'm not so sure it was not following KFs wishes that got Davis pushed out. (I agree he was told he wasn't wanted back) I think he had 5 yrs and some decent to good QBs to work with and the offense was between mediocre and poor the whole time. He had 1 really good year out of 5 results wise. And even that year it wasn't like the passing game was lighting it up it was still the running game pulling the plow. Now granted if your Davis's agent you'd argue he didn't have nearly as good of weapons to play with as he'd have liked. But to me that's also on him cause he was recruiting em...

I think KOKs 3 yr golden parachute of a deal is telling as far as timing goes... I think he'll not only be tutoring Mr Stanley as he gets going but Brian as to some of the ins and outs of his gig and play calling. It'd only make sense and he's an ear that Brian can go to that's not his Dad and respect. I wonder how weird it might be for KOK. He's known Brian since he was knee high and coached him too. The result of getting old I suppose.
I'm not so sure it was not following KFs wishes that got Davis pushed out. (I agree he was told he wasn't wanted back) I think he had 5 yrs and some decent to good QBs to work with and the offense was between mediocre and poor the whole time. He had 1 really good year out of 5 results wise. And even that year it wasn't like the passing game was lighting it up it was still the running game pulling the plow. Now granted if your Davis's agent you'd argue he didn't have nearly as good of weapons to play with as he'd have liked. But to me that's also on him cause he was recruiting em...

For over $500k per year with a 3 year deal, man it could get as weird as it wanted. Sweet deal for him. Less responsibility and more pay?!?!?!?! Almost like government work.

Davis is like 65 or something. If he coaches again it will be because he wants to not because he has to unless he had a wild spending spree. You won't get many big time gigs at age 65, unless you are going to a Kansas or K State or something like that. If he wants to coach he should do a high school gig and have some fun.

Davis was OC for 5 years? Six? There were plenty of KOK offenses that were less potent than some of Davis' offenses. Your 'negative' descriptions of Davis' offenses also described KOK's offenses and what most HN geniuses thought to be the bane of Iowa football...the offense.

Ineptitude wasn't the reason KF get rid of Davis 'cause KOK's offenses were also quite inept. It was the rocking of the KF boat that finally got Davis canned. Not like KF knew any better about offense, though.

Last edited:
Davis was OC for 5 years? Six? There were plenty of KOK offenses that were less potent than some of Davis' offenses. Your 'negative' descriptions of Davis' offenses also described KOK's offenses and what most HN geniuses thought to be the bane of Iowa football...the offense.

Ineptitude wasn't the reason KF get rid of Davis 'cause KOK's offenses were also quite inept. It was the rocking of the KF boat that finally got Davis canned. Not like KF knew any better about offense, though.
I just respectfully disagree. KOK was obviously the OC like twice as long as Davis was but KOK never had a 5 yr stretch as bad as Davis. It's just a fact. I'd seen some stats on where Davis's offenses were ranked nationally compared to KOKs and there's like a 20-30 team gap year in and year out. Davis had one good year. I'll give him one out of 5. KOK had much more then 1 year I'd describe as good. Remember that 3 yr run Iowa had finishing in the top 10? Yeah KOK was OC all 3 of those. So I understand the bad taste in your mouth you may remember at the end of KOKs run. As do I. But even still his last year with Vandenberg at QB he had a 3k yard season. When Davis took over the next year Vandenberg had a terrible senior season trying to get on the same page with him. I guess I'd like you to clarify what you mean by Davis rocking the boat. I think him getting let go was a combination of his overall bad run along with wanting to promote Brian. His age and retiring was a cop out. If KF would have let him stay or if he had somewhere else decent to coach he'd still be cashing checks. This is a smaller issue but the fact that CJ graduated and Stanley looks to be the next new thing it'd make sense for if there's a change to be made now'd be the time for that too. It just all fit and made sense to me.

The majority of KOK's offenses were at least competent. Sometimes halfway decent. That was never the case under Davis.

So while I like the fact that we brought in outside blood for the 2 new coaching spots, I gotta say that I think we missed out on one of our top choices. Blazek was the top choice at OL and would have been a home run hire, even though he was an "Iowa guy". There are plenty of good coaches out there though, and getting TP seems like a good hire as well.
Either way I am excited by the hires for Iowa, and am looking forward to what they can do for the program.
Right now I'm hoping that missing out on Blazek will turn out to be a blessing in disguise and that we will really like what Polasek brings to the table. As for Copeland, I don't see how he could be worse than Kennedy.

I agree that a few of these folks seem to have poor memory when it comes to some of KOK's offenses. I know I was glad when we knew he was leaving.

So is it true that Demo Odems was considered for the WR job and may still be considered for the RB job when the NCAA officially adds another assistant to the official limit for # of coaches on a staff.

Latest posts