Pod with AHC Seth Wallace, and I guess I am getting excited for football

Check out how the coaches are listed on the roster

scroll down ROSTER
I was just looking at this again--do you know if there is any plan to name a Quarterbacks Coach? I know Tim Lester did that for a year at Purdue in 2016, maybe before that somewhere else as well. I am not seeing one listed at that link.

I was just looking at this again--do you know if there is any plan to name a Quarterbacks Coach? I know Tim Lester did that for a year at Purdue in 2016, maybe before that somewhere else as well. I am not seeing one listed at that link.
Hell I thought he was. He pretty much is not sure why they haven't put the official title of it to him. I wouldn't think anything of it really. Qbs and the offense are his.

I know it'll freak out HN, but I think Tim Lester will be the in-house candidate. Seth doesn't have the experience and for some reason Levar doesn't seem to have any backing from the AD on down.
If Tim Lester has lots of success in the next few years, I could definitely see this coming to fruition because fans will think he is the savior. Many fans have been calling for some fresh blood (someone outside the Fry/Ferentz lineage) to take the reigns. They'd really be getting what they want in Lester. I still wonder who pitched Lester to KF or how KF was motivated to approach him. In his interview with Chad Leistikow, Lester said KF reaching out to him was completely unexpected.

Yes. TL coaches QBs and Budmayr also is a QB coach. We'll see how he does at WR.

On another point, Woods should be a candidate to succeed KF. I think the SW promotion might hurt his chances, but, again, who knows. I believe that led to LW interviewing with Tampa Bay.

I'm not sure why the staff changes/title changes were even necessary unless they thought they would lose Wallace last offseason. Maybe it would have been good for him to go somewhere and be a DC and then throw his hat in the ring when KF retires. But I'm not big on the "coach in waiting" model, either.

I think UI could attract some really good candidates outside of the building as well. Hawkeye program is SOLID.

Yes. TL coaches QBs and Budmayr also is a QB coach. We'll see how he does at WR.

On another point, Woods should be a candidate to succeed KF. I think the SW promotion might hurt his chances, but, again, who knows. I believe that led to LW interviewing with Tampa Bay.

I'm not sure why the staff changes/title changes were even necessary unless they thought they would lose Wallace last offseason. Maybe it would have been good for him to go somewhere and be a DC and then throw his hat in the ring when KF retires. But I'm not big on the "coach in waiting" model, either.

I think UI could attract some really good candidates outside of the building as well. Hawkeye program is SOLID.
Agree with all of this. I do think part of the stability that Iowa has enjoyed is exactly because Iowa is SOLID and because KF is loyal to a fault. Coaches know and appreciate that. It can be a cut throat business and a lot of position coaches have to move their families around every couple years to stay employed. Being able to plant roots in a family-friendly place like IC for a decade is a bit of a rarity for young and middle age coaches.

I think most everyone believes that the next coach should not be coronated by KF, but most reasonable fans also believe that KF should be part of the process. BG should interview and consider candidates inside and outside of the current program, and pick the best candidate. Personally, I believe our next coach is already in the building, whether that is Wallace or Woods or even Lester. Time will tell.

It will be her decision, but that is not to say that circumstances will not force her hand. Let's say that Iowa somehow pulls off 11 wins and gets into the playoffs, maybe even wins a game. KF announces his retirement, states that he fully endorses Wallace to succeed him, and further states that the entire remaining staff also supports the hire and intends to stay. Now, by law Beth has to post the opening and I am sure there are some hoops to jump through. She might even quietly kick the tires on a few higher profile names, but she would be very hard pressed not to keep the gang together and elevate KF's choice.

But, I agree that she will make her own decision, unlike Barta who would have done whatever KF told him to do.
You're right that the circumstances for sure could dictate that. That sort of scenario would certainly make it easier for KF to ride off into the sunset. It'd be interesting if he would make any kind of public statement about endorsing Wallace or anyone else. And who knows privately what'll go on between them all. But when he decides to and the status of the program at the time will certainly have an impact.

You're right that the circumstances for sure could dictate that. That sort of scenario would certainly make it easier for KF to ride off into the sunset. It'd be interesting if he would make any kind of public statement about endorsing Wallace or anyone else. And who knows privately what'll go on between them all. But when he decides to and the status of the program at the time will certainly have an impact.
My memory isn't great, but almost every "coach in waiting" announcement I remember end up being a kiss of death for that team, either in the team falling off in the last couple of years of the old coach or the new one not being able to sustain the levels of success. There were some nepo (Bowdens & Holtz') CIW scenarios of the latter situation .

My memory isn't great, but almost every "coach in waiting" announcement I remember end up being a kiss of death for that team, either in the team falling off in the last couple of years of the old coach or the new one not being able to sustain the levels of success. There were some nepo (Bowdens & Holtz') CIW scenarios of the latter situation .
I'm trying to think of instances where it did go well and I'm struggling...

If Tim Lester has lots of success in the next few years, I could definitely see this coming to fruition because fans will think he is the savior. Many fans have been calling for some fresh blood (someone outside the Fry/Ferentz lineage) to take the reigns. They'd really be getting what they want in Lester. I still wonder who pitched Lester to KF or how KF was motivated to approach him. In his interview with Chad Leistikow, Lester said KF reaching out to him was completely unexpected.
I have a hunch that KF just did a Google search. Search for

Former or current OC at Big Ten or P4 school.
Former QB coach
Former QB for a div 1 school
Former head coach at div 1 level.
Grew up in midwest
Some Experience in NFL
Available or could easily become available.

If that don't work, keep broadening the search until somebody's name comes up.

Notice that nowhere in the search criteria was the word successful ever used.

Former QB coach
Grew up in midwest
Some Experience in NFL

I think it is funny you think that KF knows how to use Google.

Look, KF has been coaching in college and NFL for four decades. He has a lot of contacts. Those contacts eventually got him to Lester, who does check a lot of boxes. Has be been a consistent winning coach everywhere he has gone? Of course not. Otherwise, he wouldn't come to Iowa to be the OC. Iowa's OC is not exactly a destination job for a lot of up and comers. His resume is more than solid and frankly, probably better than Iowa deserves given the mess BF left. But, whether he succeeds or not will get sorted out starting in 3 weeks.

Former QB coach
Grew up in midwest
Some Experience in NFL

You have too much confidence in KF's technical ability. :D

If there is any school that could make a coach in waiting work it would be Iowa. We are unique in many ways. I spent 7 and a half years there and loved almost every minute of it except the four hours of F I got. Talk about a way to bust a grade point.

I'm trying to think of instances where it did go well and I'm struggling...
Wouldn’t say it’s gone badly for Ohio Sttae. Not sure if that quite rises to that level though, and honestly helps the Meyers was disgraced rather than the team bottoming out. Time with tell with Michigan.

Latest posts