Please Play Jacobs #5 at DE

ChosenChildren

This guy is an absolute stud. Big, quick, angry, smart. I really think he is the best defensive talent we have seen at Iowa in a long time.

Why not a few plays at DE on the edge, where he can wreak havoc? He is so much quicker than anyone else on the field. Does this make sense?

I'm going to make a truly outrageous statement. I've been going to Iowa home games since 1962. I think he has a chance to be the greatest defensive player ever to play at Iowa. He is something we haven't seen very often (Bob Sanders?)……...an athlete who is absolutely dominant when he is on the field.

Did you see his coverage of Chase Allen during the game? Amazing.

He's an impressive player, but just going to add my observation Iowa seems to have a preference for more run stopper type DEs. Jacobs seems like he'd be more of an NFL style DE/OLB hybrid.

Not saying it wouldn't work or wouldn't be interesting to see.

First of all, to take your position we'd all have to agree that you know better than Phil Parker who should be playing. That' makes it a moot point.

Disregarding that, it's pretty crazy to say that a guy who has started one game and only played in 5 his whole career could be the best defensive player to play at Iowa.

Hankins had an incredible game and had a PFF of 89. Jacobs had a 82. I think he's just fine where he is.

I could see having he and Van Valkenburg working some games with twists, delayed blitzes, zone blitzes (which ZVV is great at). IMO, Jacobs seems to work well in space and is really fun to watch...and he's still very early in his career.

This guy is an absolute stud. Big, quick, angry, smart. I really think he is the best defensive talent we have seen at Iowa in a long time.

Why not a few plays at DE on the edge, where he can wreak havoc? He is so much quicker than anyone else on the field. Does this make sense?
Good thoughts .. but Jacobs would get get tied up with 300lb tackles as he is only 220 lbs so its better to have him in "space where he can read and react and cover TE down the field

It is 2021 and you need dudes that can cover in space, run sideline to sideline. Benson, Campbell, Jacobs and Belton(cash) can all do that. Phil has to be a kid in a candy store; barring injuries, he has interchangeable parts to work with. Add that to the fact that the D-line looks to be 8 deep. Phil can definitely experiment and do some things

First of all, to take your position we'd all have to agree that you know better than Phil Parker who should be playing. That' makes it a moot point.

Disregarding that, it's pretty crazy to say that a guy who has started one game and only played in 5 his whole career could be the best defensive player to play at Iowa.
Of course it is crazy and I couldn’t even carry Parker’s briefcase. I’m just a dumb fan.

I do think Jacobs is an ace in the hole for Parker against more athletic teams like Ohio $t and Wisconsin. He will be used on blitzes and in more creative ways. Phil has only shown part of his playbook.

Hankins had an incredible game and had a PFF of 89. Jacobs had a 82. I think he's just fine where he is.

I could see having he and Van Valkenburg working some games with twists, delayed blitzes, zone blitzes (which ZVV is great at). IMO, Jacobs seems to work well in space and is really fun to watch...and he's still very early in his career.

I agree about Jacobs being strong in space...he took over the Will from Benson on some passing downs when Iowa was in their base 4-2-5. If one of the LBs would move to DE, I think Campbell would be the obvious one. Bigger, longer, more physical. I brought up the idea in the offseason. I think the Hawks like him as a pass-rusher, but I think they prefer he blitz as a LB vs. line up with his hand on the ground.

It is hard to escape the fact that there is a lot of back-7 talent on the bench any time Iowa has 4 DL in the game (i.e. pretty much all the time), and the DL is the weakest unit on the D. I will trust the coaches to come up with creative solutions to that dilemma in obvious passing situations.

Good thoughts .. but Jacobs would get get tied up with 300lb tackles as he is only 220 lbs so its better to have him in "space where he can read and react and cover TE down the field

Listed at 6' 4", 236 lbs, for what it is worth.

Campbell is 6' 5", 243 lbs.

We have lots of options No? Defense will get better. D-line works hard. All Defense does. DOUBLE Coach paycheck..

I'm going to make a truly outrageous statement. I've been going to Iowa home games since 1962. I think he has a chance to be the greatest defensive player ever to play at Iowa. He is something we haven't seen very often (Bob Sanders?)……...an athlete who is absolutely dominant when he is on the field.

Did you see his coverage of Chase Allen during the game? Amazing.

Doesn't make sense. You want him to line up at DE but then call his coverage as a LB "amazing". I say leave him at LB and run a few blitz packages... but we won't see that for the next two games.

He does create havoc out there. He forced the fumble that Campbell pounced on for the score and blew up other plays.

He will force himself in there somewhere and Phil will figure it out. Even Matt Roth had to wait for his opportunity to start full time, and when he did he bulked up 30lbs and did shift to DE.

He does create havoc out there. He forced the fumble that Campbell pounced on for the score and blew up other plays.

He will force himself in there somewhere and Phil will figure it out. Even Matt Roth had to wait for his opportunity to start full time, and when he did he bulked up 30lbs and did shift to DE.
Matt? Bob said he was crazy. Great interview with Harty. Matt ,Christian Ballard and BOB and Coach Parker. Several Parkers! ROUGH Hawks

The play he made to cause the fumble and TD recovery was awesome.

He took on a big, tall, long TEnd and had a standoff and when he saw Hall run to the edge Jacobs just threw the tight end off like a rag doll and literally leaped/exploded into the ball carrier. He is very quick and explosive like on the hit and tackle on the wideout in a short sideline zone. Jacobs was playing his zone and was 5-7 yards off that receiver and when the pass went to that guy Jacobs exploded over there and snapped him down. He didnt just tackle him but tackled through him.

I am not saying he is all big 10 or all american material but right now he looks extremely good if he can keep it up.

As to the OP I would say use him all over the place as in a LBKR against TEnds, against the run etc. Phil Parker does have a wealth of talent and he can plan situational substitutions based on down and distance and opponent subs.

I don't think he'll be putting his hand on the ground very often. He's shown to be too valuable in coverage. He's able to guard those bigger TEs that give Belton problems because he is so much bigger and plenty fast enough. I think we'll see him at the LOS a lot still and occasionally rush the passer (i'd like to see more of it too honestly) But for the most part he'll be use just how he has been and it's certainly not a bad thing.

He is very quick and explosive like on the hit and tackle on the wideout in a short sideline zone. Jacobs was playing his zone and was 5-7 yards off that receiver and when the pass went to that guy Jacobs exploded over there and snapped him down.

That was a attention-getting play.

Phil is probably the one who we don't have to question. Second guess? of course. We are all crazy on here or we wouldn't be here.

Some players have a natural ability to disrupt. With Phil it's a scheme that works. So far the D isn't getting tired late in the game, which has been an issue under Phil, which in part is on the O. AJ one could argue about, but if he didn't conform to the system, it's a weakness. In a HS game saw a nose guard who was the best athlete on the field intercept a pass 30 yard down field and ran 200 yard to score a 50 yard return. Came back to the sideline for a pat on the back from the coach and totally got blasted for being out of position.

Offense over the years is more debatable and not as moot...