Please help me find the lapse in logic here

parahawkeyes

The team that can do anything offensively against any level of competition you throw at it. How do you know when this team is slumping? It loses by 8 to the great team it's facing instead of one possession. Nobody ever actually "beat" this Iowa team, they merely survived them. This team didn't extend the same courtesy to opponents, beating all shapes and sizes of competition via the blowout. Take a moment to brainstorm every possible way a team can win. Finished? Iowa covered all of them didn't they?

^THESE ARE TRENDS THAT REMAINED CONSISTENT THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE SEASON!!^

Here's where I need help. All the metrics knew how good this team was because it was easy to use our eyes to verify the data they reported. WE ONLY HAD ONE PROBLEM: Translating superior play into Wins. No matter what was happening during the majority of the season, BPI, Sagarin and KenPom had us in the top ten. And you know what? Rightfully so. I deployed specific pieces of logic to predict exactly why we would see this transformation:

-It wasn't just metrics or close losses. PPG, REB, AST and FTA all were Top Ten team attributes
-Free Throws and/or 3pt shooting are classic ways good teams blow games. Improvement in either category crosses this team over into the Elite
-If not, our best raw talents are Gesell, Woodbury and Uthoff, who represent the only Iowa players heavily recruited on a national basis
-Basketball players improve the most by far between their Sophomore and Junior campaigns, no other years coming close
-Instead, marked improvements were exhibited by Olaseni, Oglesby and Gesell
-We have 3 Seniors, all of whom spent all four seasons with major playing time. One is our best overall player, another is our most toolsy skills player, the other a classic 6th man who hits 3s and is impossible to rattle
-Fran McCaffery MUST HAVE owed old college frat buddies an old bet, that's the only explanation for taking the Iowa job. I don't care if we were winless this season, it wouldn't be because of the coaching.
-No road venues should fall apart fu**ing up our schedule

Please, are all those reasonable expectations? Looking through them there are seven, and the only ones that failed to any degree are Uthoff, Basabe and McCabe, and only McCabe was bad by any extreme or consistent basis.

Where am I going wrong when I predicted we were fine no matter what was happening to us, all the way through my game prediction tonight? Even if I got the wrong answer as to why we were losing those big leads and close games, EVERYTHING ELSE UP THERE GOT BETTER!!

I will never give up on this team. I understand if a lot of people are frustrated, I get that way also. Wanna know what I do when it happens? I KNOCK IT THE FU** OFF!! If anybody knows how to take a tough defeat it should be us. I'm trying to figure out what I just witnessed. This all can't be explained by bad luck, can it? And I will reiterate, Fran has proven beyond any shadow of a reasonable, unreasonable or just plain fickle doubt that he's a great coach. He owes us nothing.

Please help me figure out why I should call off my lofty Tournament predictions that I made based on those points of logic. It would take an jet-powered sledgehammer of a crushing blow to derail this for me. That happened tonight, ladies and gentlemen. I'm stunned. Oh how I wish I could pin this all on Assembly Hall and Zach McCabe. LOL

If losing 5 of 6 and losing nearly every meaningful close game this year doesn't shake you nothing is going to. No doubt this team does many things very well, but they simply lack some talent and some toughness and do some things very NOT well. I only saw them truly step on the throat of a good team one time that I remember and have seen us beaten more times than not when we needs 1 stop, or 1 bucket.

Credit to Illinois as well, especially coming off that loss to Michigan. Crazy shot at the end to win. Last time we played them they got nothing, and I mean nothing out Eeky, and he hits the instant classic. Shades of Andy Kaufman.

The team that can do anything offensively against any level of competition you throw at it. How do you know when this team is slumping? It loses by 8 to the great team it's facing instead of one possession. Nobody ever actually "beat" this Iowa team, they merely survived them. This team didn't extend the same courtesy to opponents, beating all shapes and sizes of competition via the blowout. Take a moment to brainstorm every possible way a team can win. Finished? Iowa covered all of them didn't they?

Here's where I need help. All the metrics knew how good this team was because it was easy to use our eyes to verify the data they reported. WE ONLY HAD ONE PROBLEM: Translating superior play into Wins. No matter what was happening during the majority of the season, BPI, Sagarin and KenPom had us in the top ten. And you know what? Rightfully so. I deployed specific pieces of logic to predict exactly why we would see this transformation:

-It wasn't just metrics or close losses. PPG, REB, AST and FTA all were Top Ten team attributes
-Free Throws and/or 3pt shooting are classic ways good teams blow games. Improvement in either category crosses this team over into the Elite
-If not, our best raw talents are Gesell, Woodbury and Uthoff, who represent the only Iowa players heavily recruited on a national basis
-Basketball players improve the most by far between their Sophomore and Junior campaigns, no other years coming close
-We have 3 Seniors, all of whom spent all four seasons with major playing time. One is our best overall player, another is our most toolsy skills player, the other a classic 6th man who hits 3s and is impossible to rattle
-Fran McCaffery MUST HAVE owed old college frat buddies an old bet, that's the only explanation for taking the Iowa job. I don't care if we were winless this season, it wouldn't be because of the coaching.

Please, are all those reasonable expectations? Looking through them there are seven, and the only ones that failed to any degree are Uthoff, Basabe and McCabe, and only McCabe was bad by any extreme or consistent basis.

Where am I going wrong when I predicted we were fine no matter what was happening to us, all the way through my game prediction tonight? Even if I got the wrong answer as to why we were losing those big leads and close games, EVERYTHING ELSE UP THERE GOT BETTER!!

I will never give up on this team. I understand if a lot of people are frustrated, I get that way also. Wanna know what I do when it happens? I KNOCK IT THE FU** OFF!! If anybody knows how to take a tough defeat it should be us. I'm trying to figure out what I just witnessed. This all can't be explained by bad luck, can it? And I will reiterate, Fran has proven beyond any shadow of a reasonable, unreasonable or just plain fickle doubt that he's a great coach. He owes us nothing.

Please help me figure out why I should call off my lofty Tournament predictions that I made based on those points of logic. It would take an jet-powered sledgehammer of a crushing blow to derail this for me. That happened tonight, ladies and gentlemen. I'm stunned. Oh how I wish I could pin this all on Assembly Hall and Zach McCabe. LOL

Jane Austen is jealous of your word count.

OK here goes.

I think so. Yes. I'mmm gonna say a soft Yes. Different shapes and sizes of competition. Yes. OK.

A trend remained consistent. As consistent as trends can be. Ummm. Ok next.

Here's where I need help.

I think they make a cream for that now.

All the metrics knew how good this team was because it was easy to use our eyes to verify the data they reported.

I agree, it's easy to use your eyes. I mean their eyes. But I don't think metrics have eyes.

WE ONLY HAD ONE PROBLEM: Translating superior play into Wins. No matter what was happening during the majority of the season, BPI, Sagarin and KenPom had us in the top ten.

We didn't have any "bad" losses - and some of those take margin of victory into consideration. So, this is not surprising.

And you know what? Rightfully so. I deployed specific pieces of logic to predict exactly why we would see this transformation:

Good teams don't have classic ways to blow games. But, I think I get where you were headed.

Read that like 5 times, and still don't get your point. And my brain hurts now.

Olaseni was a special case, not something you can fit into a statistic. But again, not sure of the context to your bullet points.

-Fran McCaffery MUST HAVE owed old college frat buddies an old bet,

Which is better than owing them new bet.

that's the only explanation for taking the Iowa job.

I don't care if we were winless this season, it wouldn't be because of the coaching.

Actually, being winless would have been because of coaching. And, because the Earth was destroyed somehow.

Please, are all those reasonable expectations?

NO! I mean.. YES! wait NO!

Looking through them there are seven, and the only ones that failed to any degree are Uthoff, Basabe and McCabe, and only McCabe was bad by any extreme or consistent basis.

Up there in Iowa City? Or up their in your mind? Either way, gotcha.

I will never give up on this team. I understand if a lot of people are frustrated, I get that way also. Wanna know what I do when it happens? I KNOCK IT THE FU** OFF!! If anybody knows how to take a tough defeat it should be us.

YOU GO!

I'm trying to figure out what I just witnessed.

A lot of that will be going on for quite some time. Truly stunning.

This all can't be explained by bad luck, can it? And I will reiterate, Fran has proven beyond any shadow of a reasonable, unreasonable or just plain fickle doubt that he's a great coach. He owes us nothing.

Fran's the man, still, I agree. Let's see how he does in the tourney before passing judgement on this season.

Please help me figure out why I should call off my lofty Tournament predictions that I made based on those points of logic.

Crap, then we really aren't making it into the tournament. That blows.

It would take an jet-powered sledgehammer of a crushing blow to derail this for me.

I think that's from the movie THOR. In that case, yea your pretty much screwed.

That happened tonight, ladies and gentlemen. I'm stunned. Oh how I wish I could pin this all on Assembly Hall and Zach McCabe. LOL

LOL.

You seriously understood this post... I mean im just being blunt and stuff but it made no sense in the English language.

Yeah I get it cause I'm not a over dramatic know it all troll that spews **** at anything n everything I can get my hands on. I don't have 884 posts of pretending to be an iowa fan because all I have to do with my life is make cute posts that I think are funny and try and draw attention to myself. I support this team and others on here that do as well. At the end of the day it's a ******* game that brings us 2 hours of entertainment distracting us from The every day doings in life. We move on to the next one. This team has fought scratched n clawed its heart out in what most ppl believe is the hardest conference. They have never quit in any game. They've had some awful luck. The part I agree with the most is the Indy fiasco ****ed our season. Plain n simple. Completely threw us off.

I'm not gonna let what's happened lately effect the fact that the best part of the season is upon us and we are gonna be apart of it finally.

Bigten, I'm not directing this solely at u as far as the snide posts so please forgive my rant at your expense...

Herby's back! While his gross improvement in syntax, capitalization, puncuation and use of paragraphs is noticeable, the basic grammar and overall stream of consciousness are still obstacles to comprehending what, I'm certain, are excellent points.

Like this Iowa team, 3-steps forward and 2 back; baby steps, Herb!;)

Yeah I get it cause I'm not a over dramatic know it all troll that spews **** at anything n everything I can get my hands on. I don't have 884 posts of pretending to be an iowa fan because all I have to do with my life is make cute posts that I think are funny and try and draw attention to myself. I support this team and others on here that do as well. At the end of the day it's a ******* game that brings us 2 hours of entertainment distracting us from The every day doings in life. We move on to the next one. This team has fought scratched n clawed its heart out in what most ppl believe is the hardest conference. They have never quit in any game. They've had some awful luck. The part I agree with the most is the Indy fiasco ****ed our season. Plain n simple. Completely threw us off.

I'm not gonna let what's happened lately effect the fact that the best part of the season is upon us and we are gonna be apart of it finally.

Bigten, I'm not directing this solely at u as far as the snide posts so please forgive my rant at your expense...

I don't know, your reply seemed to have plenty of dramatic aspects to it -- intense seriousness; passionate, emotional proclamation; conflict with an external evil -- I'd say you nailed the drama.

Nothing personal but I prefer the comedies -- from screwball to black, as long as they have a hint of sarcastic cynicism.

This..I still cannot explain how I give a rip watching stangers throw a bouncy thingy thru a round thingy.

Please tell me when this book comes out on tape!

How a team thay leads or led the Big in scoring by quite a bit of margin can fall and go 500 is beyond me. At one point in the season they were one of the better D's in the league as well, then they slid.

Latest posts