Please dump the huury up QB sneak

Did anybody notice the UNI player running off of the field as they were running a d-lineman on while the official was standing "over" the ball? It looked like Iowa wanted to "go" earlier but they basically let UNI get set?

I do agree though, give it Weisman for that 1 yard.

Wouldn't mind a trick play here. Run the same play but have Jake step back and throw a long one. I guess it's the gambler in me and the fact that it's a game and suppose to be fun.

Other than the false starts im pretty sure that's the second time it hasn't worked. It's probably the best chance for success percentage wise.

When I say second time it hasn't worked I'm talking about the last few years when we started running it every single time without fail in 3rd or 4th and 1 situations.

Agreed with Chuck Long's analysis. Loved that we went for it on 4th and wish we would have went with the Hammer.

Agreed with Chuck Long's analysis. Loved that we went for it on 4th and wish we would have went with the Hammer.

Of all the horrible things Chuck Long said, his take on that was the worst in my opinion. He said a qb sneak on 3rd down was ok because if you didn't get it you still had another shot. Couldn't you say the same thing about every other play?

In 08 against msu we ran the ball to Greene on 4th and 1 and got stuffed. Turning around and moving away from the line of scrimmage allows time for the defense to get penetration. Even with the Doak Walker winner I think the chances would have been better with a qb sneak. It's surprising to see how many people are against it considering how successful it has been.

I think people are confusing the success when Iowa runs the hurry up on 2nd or 3rd down. Even that is a bad call. If you pick up 9.5 yards on 1st down, don't rush a QB sneak to pick up the first down. Use the opportunity to pick up more than inches. The play just doesn't make sense.

On the 4th down play, there will never be a call that is 100%. But why run you skinny QB when you have very strong RBs. Also, in this case, you ran at UNIs best defensive player (DT).

Maybe I am confused, but I don't remember that many successful QB sneaks.

I think people are confusing the success when Iowa runs the hurry up on 2nd or 3rd down. Even that is a bad call. If you pick up 9.5 yards on 1st down, don't rush a QB sneak to pick up the first down. Use the opportunity to pick up more than inches. The play just doesn't make sense.

On the 4th down play, there will never be a call that is 100%. But why run you skinny QB when you have very strong RBs. Also, in this case, you ran at UNIs best defensive player (DT).

Maybe I am confused, but I don't remember that many successful QB sneaks.

I bet we are 18 for our last 20. Not counting the ones where we get a false start trying to hurry. It works almost every time. I do agree that running it on 2nd down is dumb though.

I also agreed with him when he said the hurry up sneak isn't a bad play to have up your sleeve, but it's not the play you run when it's do or die. It's a good idea to run on 2nd or 3rd and 1 from time to time.

Just a quick question for everyone agreeing with Long's statement about giving it to the big back instead of the QB sneak...

You do realize we ran Weisman (WITH A FULLBACK!!!!) the play before on 3rd and 2 only to be stuffed.

This thread<stupidity

I also agreed with him when he said the hurry up sneak isn't a bad play to have up your sleeve, but it's not the play you run when it's do or die. It's a good idea to run on 2nd or 3rd and 1 from time to time.

You really agree with that? What's the difference which play you run when it's do or die? It's either a play you have faith in or it's not. A Weisman stuff on 4th and 1 is the exact same thing as a qb stuff. I would bet everything I had that Rudocks qb sneak has been a higher percentage play then Weismans 3rd or 4th and 1 percentage.

Just a quick question for everyone agreeing with Long's statement about giving it to the big back instead of the QB sneak...

You do realize we ran Weisman (WITH A FULLBACK!!!!) the play before on 3rd and 2 only to be stuffed.

This thread<stupidity

Apparently that doesn't matter because it wasn't do or die time.

Podolak said on Soundoff yesterday that the advantage to using a big running back on 4th and 1 is that they have 3 steps in which to decide where to go with the ball to get the first down. Perhaps that means over the top.

If the defense is going to stuff you then it will stuff you no matter what the play call is or who is carrying the ball. 4th down conversions are an inexact science.

Latest posts