Please, defend keeping Lick

Cael Sanderson and Chizik were both his hires, and regardless of how those eras ended and whether or not Pollard was responsible for how they ended, he was still the guy that hired them.

If you look at everything Pollard has done as the AD at Iowa State, it seems like the hiring of Rhoads (which has turned out to be a home run) was more of an anomaly than a trend.

If/when he fires McDermott, he'll have gone through 3 wrestling coaches, 3 football coaches, and 3 basketball coaches.

You would have an arguement if Pollard hasn't been on record in the past as saying he's fine if his coaches move on for something better. Based on that he would consider those hires successful. To say Chizek or Sanderson didn't leave for something better would just not be true.

You would have an arguement if Pollard hasn't been on record in the past as saying he's fine if his coaches move on for something better. Based on that he would consider those hires successful. To say Chizek or Sanderson didn't leave for something better would just not be true.

Obviously, Chizik left for something better and was clearly using Iowa State as a stepping stool; a way to add "head coach" to his resume. Still, Pollard hired him.

Sanderson went on to something better? Please. As long as Brands is at Iowa, Sanderson will be lucky to sniff the 2nd best he usually got at Iowa State.

Regardless of the reasons why, if Pollard fires McDermott, he'll have hired or fired 9 coaches in the 3 major sports when he finds a replacement.

Last edited:
Obviously, Chizik left for something better and was clearly using Iowa State as a stepping stool; a way to add "head coach" to his resume. Still, Pollard hired him.

Sanderson went on to something better? Please. As long as Brands is at Iowa, Sanderson will be lucky to sniff the 2nd best he usually got at Iowa State.

Regardless of the reasons why, if Pollard fires McDermott, he'll have hired or fired 10 coaches in the 3 major sports when he finds a replacement.

You're right- Pollard Hired Chizek. Was I arguing that point?

If you can argue a person leaving a job for quite a bit more money (ala Sanderson) isn't leaving for something better please do so.

Pollard has fired, in the major sports, 2 coaches and hired 5 coaches. That would equal 7.

You're right- Pollard Hired Chizek. Was I arguing that point?

If you can argue a person leaving a job for quite a bit more money (ala Sanderson) isn't leaving for something better please do so.

Pollard has fired, in the major sports, 2 coaches and hired 5 coaches. That would equal 7.

Pollard fired Bobby Douglass for Sanderson, and then had to replace Sanderson with Jackson.

Fired Morgan for McDermott, and will eventually have to fire McDermott.

Fired McCarney for Chizik, Chizik skipped town and he hired Rhoads.

So that's eight, and soon to be nine.

To watch a team(your team) get emasculated is quite a sickening thing. The play with John Lickliter get his pocket picked, move slower than a sloth and watch the guard who picked his pocket AND a big man blow by him and execute a show quality alley oop/dunk over him, well....its sick.

Lickliter(coach) should have some decency and leave. He isnt getting it done, his team is quitting in games, and his coaching is just clueless. There are no excuses for his dismal performance.

I still have hope for the future, though at this point, Lickliter's leash is getting exponentially shorter with me. Even if I lose all hope at some point before next season, I will still go and show my support, and steer clear of these boards. If we're this bad next season, it's not going to matter anyway if I go or not, Lick will be gone. So I figure I'll be there at Carver the whole way regardless.

I think you are misinterpreting the poster's stance.

Sanderson DID leave for a better situation. In PSU, he has the rule of the roost for recruiting in a VERY, VERY wrestling rich area. Pennsylvania pumps out a ton of talent on the mat. Also, he is a reasonable car ride away from Jersey - another rich area. He is also going to start taking some of the Ohio kids away from OSU.

His name recognition will get the kids.

At ISU, you are right. He would be getting 2nd best because of Brands.

At PSU, he is distanced a bit. While they will never (more than likely) be able to fully beat Iowa. He is in a better place for himself and his family.

After all, it is 'Happy' Valley.

There really is no defense right now that doesn't underscore the depths to which the program has fallen. None.

I don't believe Barta will make a change. Which may put pressure on him next year.

There really is no defense right now that doesn't underscore the depths to which the program has fallen. None.

I don't believe Barta will make a change. Which may put pressure on him next year.

I wonder what Barta really thinks about this whole thing. His head seems to be buried in the sand. The most upset he's been all season was when Illinois got seats behind the basket

With all of our young players getting older (If they don't transfer) they shouldn't lose 20 games next year? How did I do?

How can Barta not make a change? Lick has lost his team and most of the fans of Iowa basketball. We have reached an all time new low and personally it is not fun to watch anymore. We score 40 points and get beat by 27, that is downright a joke.

I'm proud of Hawkeye athletics. Our goals seem to be set, and we are breaking records! Win-loss records, attendance records, points-in-the-first-half records, etc.

And I'll keep watching, just to see how many records we can break next year, because it doesn't look like the athletic department wants to change our goals. I'm riding this bomb all the way down.

If you are going to be terrible, be really good at being terrible, I say.