Playing not to lose.....again

What is passing for a coaching staff in Iowa City is abysmal. Not blitzing so Lynch can stand in the pocket and let WR's run through our secondary. Running the same crap plays at the most predictable times to ensure we never have any rhythm and that we get the least out of our skill players. Rudock, Sokol, Bethard, Manziel, Manning, etc., it does NOT matter. Pretty obvious KF wants "yes" men and not innovative, aggressive, winning oriented coaches. Who the hell coaches the d-backs? How about keep the freaking WR's in front of you? How about not letting guys run free through zones?

Personally, I did not think the offense was predictible today. I was surprised with the flea flicker, the bomb from deep in our own territory, a few other plays, and of course I was surprised with the out pattern that was picked. I was also surprised that on a 3rd and 1 at mid-field they threw deep...and I was surprised that they didn't go for it on 4th and 1 - seems to me that a QB sneak or try to draw them offsides was possible.

3 points in the second half. They could have run Rudock a dozen times for big yards or at least a first down. NIU, had they abandon the run earlier, could have put up 50 on us. Come out in the second half playing to win, not for field position in hopes your D can pitch a shutout.

What is passing for a coaching staff in Iowa City is abysmal. Not blitzing so Lynch can stand in the pocket and let WR's run through our secondary. Running the same crap plays at the most predictable times to ensure we never have any rhythm and that we get the least out of our skill players. Rudock, Sokol, Bethard, Manziel, Manning, etc., it does NOT matter. Pretty obvious KF wants "yes" men and not innovative, aggressive, winning oriented coaches. Who the hell coaches the d-backs? How about keep the freaking WR's in front of you? How about not letting guys run free through zones?

I wouldn't call the coaching abysmal. However, kf is not a very aggressive coach. When he doesn't have a lot of talent his less than aggressive nature becomes very evident, as it was today. I noticed several missed opportunities that were coaching mishaps.

FreedComanche

Personally, I did not think the offense was predictible today. I was surprised with the flea flicker, the bomb from deep in our own territory, a few other plays, and of course I was surprised with the out pattern that was picked. I was also surprised that on a 3rd and 1 at mid-field they threw deep...and I was surprised that they didn't go for it on 4th and 1 - seems to me that a QB sneak or try to draw them offsides was possible.

Terrible offensive decisions were made. Deep on 3rd and 1 with weisman, seriously.... wtf.

We've heard this tune many times before. It's getting -- no, has gotten -- old. If Ferentz no longer believes his team can win, he needs to be shown the door.

Maybe the hawks need to "learn to win". What I mean by that is an attitude. An attitude that says, I know we're gong to find a way. NIU coach talked about how his team had that attitude.

This is the only reason I can see people being mad about going for the bomb on that 3rd and 1.... Didn't we get a delay of game on the punt???? Why not leave the o on the fricken field and at least draw them offsides?

Yeah. We want to be more Aggressive... and Play To Win...and Throw Vertically... just not when the safe play is to run...am I right or what???

Wait...what?

I didn't agree with every playcall...but I personally saw a Whole Lot of what everybody has wanted. The loss blows and this team has to learn to finish.

The Dline was a little less than I hoped but if you think the 3 turnovers and the severity if 2 if them....along with a couple of D breakdowns wasn't FAR more the reason for the loss... I can't help ya.

I didn't agree with every playcall...but I personally saw a Whole Lot of what everybody has wanted. The loss blows and this team has to learn to finish.

I saw a lot of that too. I think the O stats look good as well. But when you have those stats and you still lose? You have got to place blame on the coaching staff.

FreedComanche

Just playing devils advocate, but isn't going for the home run ball on 3rd and 1 kind of playing to win? Isn't throwing the ball on 1st and 10 with 1:40 left tied midfield the complete opposite that we did against Ohio state with the big ten championship on the line? I'm 100 percent confident that I will be ripped completely for this post, but their was "some" signs of change today. But same old story same old ending I get the frustration I am too.

Powell doesn't stop running...it's a touchdown. It was aggressive...maybe too aggressive...but I don't think it was dumb.
The reason I think it was dumb is because it's 3rd and 1. YOu need that first down. You have at least a 40 pound per man advantage O-line vs their D-Line. Odds are very good you get the first down if you run it.

FreedComanche

Ummm...no.

We were airing it out in each our last two possesions. If anything our aggressiveness in the passing game is what cost us the game. Not that I'm complaining. Lots of positives to take away.

I saw a lot of that too. I think the O stats look good as well. But when you have those stats and you still lose? You have got to place blame on the coaching staff.

FreedComanche

Why? Because you don't like them? Personally, I thought it was execution that cost us the game. I was incredibly refreshed by what I saw in both scheme and preparation.

The reason I think it was dumb is because it's 3rd and 1. YOu need that first down. You have at least a 40 pound per man advantage O-line vs their D-Line. Odds are very good you get the first down if you run it.

FreedComanche

That's fair and I actually agree given the size advantage. But I see so many posts still complaining about predictability, not playing to win, and not being aggressive and its driving me crazy..

I don't mind throwing deep on 3rd and 1. Sometimes you hit it big and that may have been the dagger. I'm more upset with the 3 other 3rd and shorts where we threw a short incomplete pass or completed pass short of the marker.

That's fair and I actually agree given the size advantage. But I see so many posts still complaining about predictability, not playing to win, and not being aggressive and its driving me crazy..
Yes, I said I saw improvement today. Part of the improvement I saw today was the offense was not so predictable. Many good things today happened I believe.

But there were some key decisions made that resulted in switching the momentum to Northern.

Let me be clear about what I think. I think Iowa does have the talent to win this year. I do think they lack playmakers on both sides, but they have enough talent to win. In order for this team to win, the coaching staff has to be aggressive through the whole game. They were in the first half, but not the whole second half.

And throwing the ball down the field on 3rd and 1 when you really need the first down and when you got the size advantage instead of running it, is not aggressive, it's foolish.

FreedComanche

Latest posts