Players that broke your heart

I was considering going that route.

My (long) list of Hawkeye heartbreak started with Toledo's Stan Joplin in the 1979 NCAA'S.

He was no relation to another Joplin but he definitely took another piece of my heart, baby.

I'm afraid I had to look up Stan Joplin and the details of the Toledo game. Long ago - Lester, Peth, Arnold, Speraw, Waite and Hargrave among others. Thanks for the post - lots of interesting stuff on the archived newspaper articles linked on Wikipedia.

I'm afraid I had to look up Stan Joplin and the details of the Toledo game. Long ago - Lester, Peth, Arnold, Speraw, Waite and Hargrave among others. Thanks for the post - lots of interesting stuff on the archived newspaper articles linked on Wikipedia.
Our free throw shooting that day didn't help either.

There was no shot clock back then. Teams would spend the entire second half sitting on the lead, losing their aggressiveness, any offensive flow.

Sometimes it would play right into the other teams hands.

Our free throw shooting that day didn't help either.

There was no shot clock back then. Teams would spend the entire second half sitting on the lead, losing their aggressiveness, any offensive flow.

Sometimes it would play right into the other teams hands.

With Lester that wasn't much of an issue.

With Lester that wasn't much of an issue.
Lester was a magician with the ball late in close games, almost like Marques Haynes from the Globetrotters. When players tried to take the ball from him they looked like they were trying to stab a moving pinata

As for the Toledo game I seem to remember Lester fouling out which would made a huge difference.

Lester was a magician with the ball late in close games, almost like Marques Haynes from the Globetrotters. When players tried to take the ball from him they looked like they were trying to stab a moving pinata

As for the Toledo game I seem to remember Lester fouling out which would made a huge difference.

Remember the Michigan game when he ran off the last 5 minutes that was his statement game? Orr was helpless.

Remember the Michigan game when he ran off the last 5 minutes that was his statement game? Orr was helpless.
Orr had a guard named Ricky Green who was similar to Lester.

But Ronnie was stronger than Rickey in the upper body. Ronnie could post up guards like Ricky. And Lester may have been a better shooter as well.

Lute never recruited a guard who didn't have that strong barrel chest. Kenny Arnold, Steve Carfino and Andre Banks were stong in the upper body as well.

Orr had a guard named Ricky Green who was similar to Lester.

But Ronnie was stronger than Rickey in the upper body. Ronnie could post up guards like Ricky. And Lester may have been a better shooter as well.

Lute never recruited a guard who didn't have that strong barrel chest. Kenny Arnold, Steve Carfino and Andre Banks were stong in the upper body as well.

Isn't this the game. Hubbard I rember.

https://hawkeyesports.com/documents/2019/5/15//Game_11.pdf

Could very well have been.

Note the paltry assist totals from the Ann arbor scorers table.

Mike McGee was a Vinnie Johnson type player on the college level who could heat up in a hurry.

He struggled to get his shot off against NBA caliber guards but did tag along on a couple Lakers championship teams.

Here is a big heartbreak.

Here is a big heartbreak.
Lester was still on the floor for the final shot. It was Dick Peth who fouled out.

Peth was from Tomah, Wisconsin. His high school sweetheart was my wife's one time boss when my wife once managed a hotel near Dubuque.

Tomah itself has a great steak house known as the Tepee. A huge cranberry festival is held nearby each year in nearby Warrens. If you like arts and crafts and flea markets this is your heaven. Just be prepared for huge crowds.

Last edited:

Latest posts