Players Sharing Revenue

I'm actually starting to lose interest for lots of reasons. The first is that I just have things to do that bring me just as much joy as Hawkeye football, and I can't justify the amount of time and money it takes to go to games with what KF has done to the program with his son and his stubbornness to cut bait. Driving 11 hours round trip and paying for a motel, gas, food, etc isn't as fun anymore as it was a few years ago. There's just no excitement anymore, and I've given it more than a fair chance. KF has taken the Saturday morning electricity out of the air in Iowa City with what he's done trying to make Brian the president elect. We'll see how this year goes but I won't be at more than maybe one game. I have plenty in the fall to keep me busy with my weekends free.

The other big reason is free transfers. It's not fun to me to follow the sport because everyone can leave willy nilly, so it takes some of the fandom out of it for me. To be clear, I am not against transferring or NIL in any way. I think it's totally fine and athletes deserve the money. When I say I'm out and that I don't like it so it makes me less interested, that's me moving along on my own and not decrying what's going on or saying there needs to be a change. I'll consume what's interesting to me, and pass on what isn't. If college football gets to the point where it isn't fun to watch (for me), I'll just walk away. What I won't do is come on a message board and bitch about how kids are entitled and don't deserve to get paid or transfer, and give 20 bullshit reasons why they need to change the rules to restrict kids I've never met and have no stake in. Not aiming that at you, btw, I'm aiming at people who do that stuff...of which there are plenty here.
Fry, you and I have debated these issues for years now and I actually think we digest these issues with more similarities than differences. In my view, you are the canary in the coal mine. An ardent fan that is losing interest because of the radical changes to the sport that are making it different than what made you fall in love with it. Me too.

The answer is to keep what is right about it, while making the necessary changes to get a piece of the pie to the players. There has to be a path where the players get scholarships, have to go to school and get passable grades, be 18-22 type age, and not transfer 5 times in three years. Those things are fundamental to the game, and must not change (in the case of transfers, go back to the original rule limiting transfers).

The transfer rule can be solved by contract. You want to get paid? Well, sign a contract and follow employment rules set in the contract like any other job.

The scary thing for me is Title IX. If Congress does not step in, then I think the most obvious solution is that the money has to flow through a third party. TV sends money directly to a management company responsible for running Iowa football, who then pays the kids directly, so it is not the University paying the boys and not the girls. Its a mess, it would be challenged, but its a solution. But, my fear is that this is the first step in "decoupling" Iowa football from the University, such that again, it is just minor league football players who are not associated with learning and the school. Don't love that direction, but it may be where things are forced if Congress does not act.

Yeah Title IX is gonna have a whole lot to say about how this goes. They won't lay down. They won't settle for a nickel less then 50% of everything that comes in. Nor should they just based on how the law sits now. For some schools that'll mean the cutting of more mens sports. Footballs body count being so high skews it so much. At Iowa what would be on the chopping block if it came down to it? Baseball?
I don't see that programs would be cut, it would be less revenue available for the non-revenue men's sports. Title IX actually does not require 50/50 distribution of resources to mens and womens at a given school. It does require that schools work towards that goal and not backtrack by infusing more resources to mens over women.

So, I don't see that baseball would have to be cut. The new revenue model would require half that money to go to women. The other half (or maybe slightly less than half) would go to male athletes. Most of it is going to football and basketball, so the other male sports aint gonna get much. But, women's field hockey sure as shit will.

I'm actually starting to lose interest for lots of reasons. The first is that I just have things to do that bring me just as much joy as Hawkeye football, and I can't justify the amount of time and money it takes to go to games with what KF has done to the program with his son and his stubbornness to cut bait. Driving 11 hours round trip and paying for a motel, gas, food, etc isn't as fun anymore as it was a few years ago. There's just no excitement anymore, and I've given it more than a fair chance. KF has taken the Saturday morning electricity out of the air in Iowa City with what he's done trying to make Brian the president elect. We'll see how this year goes but I won't be at more than maybe one game. I have plenty in the fall to keep me busy with my weekends free.

The other big reason is free transfers. It's not fun to me to follow the sport because everyone can leave willy nilly, so it takes some of the fandom out of it for me. To be clear, I am not against transferring or NIL in any way. I think it's totally fine and athletes deserve the money. When I say I'm out and that I don't like it so it makes me less interested, that's me moving along on my own and not decrying what's going on or saying there needs to be a change. I'll consume what's interesting to me, and pass on what isn't. If college football gets to the point where it isn't fun to watch (for me), I'll just walk away. What I won't do is come on a message board and bitch about how kids are entitled and don't deserve to get paid or transfer, and give 20 bullshit reasons why they need to change the rules to restrict kids I've never met and have no stake in. Not aiming that at you, btw, I'm aiming at people who do that stuff...of which there are plenty here.

So I am not the only one that feels this way.

If Kirk comes out and tries to control Lester and minimize the offense then I am out until he is gone. I have others things I enjoy doing with my family other than suffering through watching one of the worst offenses in college football. I’d rather walk down to the local park on a Saturday and enjoy being with my grandchildren.

Also following the recruiting process has been ruined with as you put it this willey nilly ability for players to jump ship at a drop of a hat.

Parker has to be given a lot of credit for holding together most of his defensive unit this upcoming season. It’s the reason for hope and maybe wishful thinking if the offense has a pulse this upcoming season.

I followed the bears for decades but just got tired of wasting my time following a pathetic franchise. I was happy for Walter Payton to see him get a Super Bowl ring back in 1985. It would have been a travesty for one of the greatest running backs in NFL history to not reach the promise land. Screw Mike Dickhead for letting Refrigerator Perry score that Super Bowl touchdown instead of Walter.

I just don’t see Iowa wanting to put out the cash it will take to compete at the semi-pro type of football we are about to see. Maybe they will surprise everyone but there is no reason to think they will.

I like your stance on the free transfers. Not sure it'd be possible to insert into college football, but would love to see "transfer fees" imposed to universities losing players to bigger programs in the portal, similar to European football (edit: soccer--my apologies lol). Again I don't think it's an idea that could be implemented into college sports, but it'd be great to see Universities and programs financially compensated by other schools for developing players they're picking up in the portal.

So I am not the only one that feels this way.

If Kirk comes out and tries to control Lester and minimize the offense then I am out until he is gone. I have others things I enjoy doing with my family other than suffering through watching one of the worst offenses in college football. I’d rather walk down to the local park on a Saturday and enjoy being with my grandchildren.

Also following the recruiting process has been ruined with as you put it this willey nilly ability for players to jump ship at a drop of a hat.

Parker has to be given a lot of credit for holding together most of his defensive unit this upcoming season. It’s the reason for hope and maybe wishful thinking if the offense has a pulse this upcoming season.

I followed the bears for decades but just got tired of wasting my time following a pathetic franchise. I was happy for Walter Payton to see him get a Super Bowl ring back in 1985. It would have been a travesty for one of the greatest running backs in NFL history to not reach the promise land. Screw Mike Dickhead for letting Refrigerator Perry score that Super Bowl touchdown instead of Walter.

I just don’t see Iowa wanting to put out the cash it will take to compete at the semi-pro type of football we are about to see. Maybe they will surprise everyone but there is no reason to think they will.
What's wild is Iowa less so then most teams hasn't had that be a problem on defense so much. We are returning damn near everyone but Cooper and losing a guy after 3 yrs to the NFL is a good thing not a bad thing.

Offensively yeah that's a different story. That'll just take time. There's not really a good way to microwave both a culture change and roster flip where it needs to be done. Between QB play Oline play and WRs with a totally new system it won't happen overnight. Look at Wisconsin and the adjustment they've had with new coaching staff and overall offensive system changing.... And they weren't starting off at rock bottom like we are. Hope folks realize that but I'm sure most won't...

What's wild is Iowa less so then most teams hasn't had that be a problem on defense so much. We are returning damn near everyone but Cooper and losing a guy after 3 yrs to the NFL is a good thing not a bad thing.

Offensively yeah that's a different story. That'll just take time. There's not really a good way to microwave both a culture change and roster flip where it needs to be done. Between QB play Oline play and WRs with a totally new system it won't happen overnight. Look at Wisconsin and the adjustment they've had with new coaching staff and overall offensive system changing.... And they weren't starting off at rock bottom like we are. Hope folks realize that but I'm sure most won't...

I agree that it will take Lester time to get the players he wants on offense. However I believe we can expect noticeable improvement this upcoming season. When your offense is in last place in college football, if the offensive line just bends over and farts it will be an improvement.

I agree that it will take Lester time to get the players he wants on offense. However I believe we can expect noticeable improvement this upcoming season. When your offense is in last place in college football, if the offensive line just bends over and farts it will be an improvement.
Yeah I'd like to think so too. I just suspect that with a new system being drastically different we'll see false start penalties at inopportune times. Receivers running wrong routes like crazy leading to errant throws Oline whiffing on blocks. Let's just say I'll be pleasantly surprised if the O looks competent right out of the blocks this yr. Especially with all the motion it sounds like they'll be running. That takes timing.

I'm as intrigued as everyone else to see how things will look though. Just from a situational standpoint how aggressive will they be? That's how we'll really know who's got the reigns of the O.

There is plenty of practice time to get routes right and blocking right. Further, the offense practices against one of the best defenses in the country. Move up 30 places on offense and you have got something. Move up 30 more places the next year.

I actually don't think the offense is going to take as long for Lester to give it a pulse as some might think. I get that our returning offensive players have not looked good in the past, but they had a terrible offensive coordinator and system. Indeed, Lester has a lot to work with. The OL has a ton of starts under their belt and I believe there is talent there. They have good size, athleticism and they have experienced a lot of bullets flying in conference games. Give them plays that aren't just 3 yards and a cloud of dust and maybe they can shine.

Our Top 2 QBs have started multiple conference games and performed good to really good. They should be ready to perform at least adequately at this level.

TE and RB looks salty.

WR? Can't get worse. There is some talent there, but it aint deep

Lester has the ingredients to have a functioning offense. Can he cook? I sure hope so.

Don't think the transfer QBs are "mediocre". Both started in the Big Ten. Sullivan's numbers are a career completion rate of 68.8% Ten passing TDs and 3 rushing TDs against 5 interceptions. He throws on the run and is mobile in and out of the pocket.

McNamara could be a hero but I'm not counting on anything from him. Two consecutive seasons ended very early because of non-contact injuries.

It will be interesting when Iowa officially says McNamara is playing without restrictions.

I actually don't think the offense is going to take as long for Lester to give it a pulse as some might think. I get that our returning offensive players have not looked good in the past, but they had a terrible offensive coordinator and system. Indeed, Lester has a lot to work with. The OL has a ton of starts under their belt and I believe there is talent there. They have good size, athleticism and they have experienced a lot of bullets flying in conference games. Give them plays that aren't just 3 yards and a cloud of dust and maybe they can shine.

Our Top 2 QBs have started multiple conference games and performed good to really good. They should be ready to perform at least adequately at this level.

TE and RB looks salty.

WR? Can't get worse. There is some talent there, but it aint deep

Lester has the ingredients to have a functioning offense. Can he cook? I sure hope so.

day chef GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY | Маппеты, Мемы, Психиатрия

The Proof is in the Pudding

Don't think the transfer QBs are "mediocre". Both started in the Big Ten. Sullivan's numbers are a career completion rate of 68.8% Ten passing TDs and 3 rushing TDs against 5 interceptions. He throws on the run and is mobile in and out of the pocket.

McNamara could be a hero but I'm not counting on anything from him. Two consecutive seasons ended very early because of non-contact injuries.

It will be interesting when Iowa officially says McNamara is playing without restrictions.

I cringed every time Mac was on the field last season, waiting for the worst case scenario

I will double-cringe this season

I cringed every time Mac was on the field last season, waiting for the worst case scenario

I will double-cringe this season
I cringed last season because I knew that we had no tested back-up QB and a QB coach who didn't know how to coach QBs. And, the kid was limping from the first snap, so it wasn't like there was any confidence he would last long.

I am in a much better headspace going into this season. We have an OC and QB coach who knows what the F he is doing. McNamara should come into the season relatively healthy, and if he goes down, we have 3 good college QBs with varying levels of experience, one of whom has started multiple games in this league. All the eggs are not in one basket this season.

Latest posts