Player by Player Iowa Hoops Review

CJSHawk

I, like most of you, are thrilled with the rebuilding job Fran and his staff have accomplished so far. While much still needs to be done I can't wait until next season as it should be a lot of fun. I thought I'd give my thoughts on some of our current players in the hope of starting a respectable conversation about next year's team.

Aaron White- No doubt he's a good player who can be excellent in transition. He also a solid rebounder. However, he's limited in a halfcourt offense. If he's going to take the next step as a player he's got to develop a mid-range game.

Melsahn Basabe- I think he's plateaued. With one year of eligibility remaining I don't see him getting much better than he already is. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad he's on our team, but the Basabe we saw this year is the Basabe we'll likely see next year. Which is a solid B1G role player.

Zach McCabe- Good role player, but if Uthoff emerges like we all hope he will I think McCabe's minutes are going down next year. Against good teams McCabe's lack of athleticism gets exposed. The Baylor game was a good example.

Mike Gessell- The future is bright for this kid. I love almost everything about his game. Especially the way he comes off screens. He struggled this year against quick, athletic guards but you could say that about the entire team. Let's hope his foot heals completely so he can take the next step as a player.

Anthony Clemmons- Although he's not as good as Gessell, I think he had a solid freshman season. He played great in the ISU game and was the difference in the ballgame. Ball security was an issue and that's a problem if your going to play point guard. That part of his game has to improve. He actually was a better perimeter shooter that I expected.

Adam Woodbury- Woodbury turned out to be what most of us expected. A basketball player with a lot of promise and A LOT of work to do. My biggest concern is an overall lack of strength. He's got to get stronger with the ball and just stronger altogether. While this offseason is important for all the players, it's most important for Woodbury. I like the mean streak he plays with though.

Gabe Oleseni- Really, really wish he could have been redshirted his freshman year. While I love the way he runs the floor and blocks shots, he's just so raw.

Devyn Marble- Clearly our best player and the improvement he continues to make each year is impressive. He should be one of the B1G's best players next year. I loved watching him use screens to set up his shots this year. His inability to create his own shot off the dribble continues to hold him back.

Josh Olgelsby- I just don't think Olgelsby is a B1G caliber basketball player.

Peter Jok and Jared Uthoff- The biggest weaknesses this year's team had was perimeter shooting and overall athleticism. While I think both will help with the shooting issue, I'm not sure if either will make a difference in this team becoming more athletic. However, I think both will get Olgelsby and McCabe's minutes.

Recruiting- As Fran and his staff hit the recruiting trail this spring and summer I really hope they emphasize quick/athletic players. We've got to get better athletes!!

I, like most of you, are thrilled with the rebuilding job Fran and his staff have accomplished so far. While much still needs to be done I can't wait until next season as it should be a lot of fun. I thought I'd give my thoughts on some of our current players in the hope of starting a respectable conversation about next year's team.

Aaron White- No doubt he's a good player who can be excellent in transition. He also a solid rebounder. However, he's limited in a halfcourt offense. If he's going to take the next step as a player he's got to develop a mid-range game.

Melsahn Basabe- I think he's plateaued. With one year of eligibility remaining I don't see him getting much better than he already is. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad he's on our team, but the Basabe we saw this year is the Basabe we'll likely see next year. Which is a solid B1G role player.

Zach McCabe- Good role player, but if Uthoff emerges like we all hope he will I think McCabe's minutes are going down next year. Against good teams McCabe's lack of athleticism gets exposed. The Baylor game was a good example.

Mike Gessell- The future is bright for this kid. I love almost everything about his game. Especially the way he comes off screens. He struggled this year against quick, athletic guards but you could say that about the entire team. Let's hope his foot heals completely so he can take the next step as a player.

Anthony Clemmons- Although he's not as good as Gessell, I think he had a solid freshman season. He played great in the ISU game and was the difference in the ballgame. Ball security was an issue and that's a problem if your going to play point guard. That part of his game has to improve. He actually was a better perimeter shooter that I expected.

Adam Woodbury- Woodbury turned out to be what most of us expected. A basketball player with a lot of promise and A LOT of work to do. My biggest concern is an overall lack of strength. He's got to get stronger with the ball and just stronger altogether. While this offseason is important for all the players, it's most important for Woodbury. I like the mean streak he plays with though.

Gabe Oleseni- Really, really wish he could have been redshirted his freshman year. While I love the way he runs the floor and blocks shots, he's just so raw.

Devyn Marble- Clearly our best player and the improvement he continues to make each year is impressive. He should be one of the B1G's best players next year. I loved watching him use screens to set up his shots this year. His inability to create his own shot off the dribble continues to hold him back.

Josh Olgelsby- I just don't think Olgelsby is a B1G caliber basketball player.

Peter Jok and Jared Uthoff- The biggest weaknesses this year's team had was perimeter shooting and overall athleticism. While I think both will help with the shooting issue, I'm not sure if either will make a difference in this team becoming more athletic. However, I think both will get Olgelsby and McCabe's minutes.

Recruiting- As Fran and his staff hit the recruiting trail this spring and summer I really hope they emphasize quick/athletic players. We've got to get better athletes!!

Good write up. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Olgesby yet though I might be in the minority.

Pretty good CJS. I'd only disagree in a couple of areas.

Marble does get his shot off the dribble. A lot of times he gets fouled on the shot or dribble. Sometimes it just doesn't look smooth; at times it looks real smooth.

Ogelsby is a B1G caliber player because every opposing coach defends him like he is a B1G caliber player. Even when he was in a sophomore season long shooting slump.

Maybe I'm being too hard on Ogelsby, but I have a difficult time finding positive things to say about him as a basketball player. Ogelsby reminds me of Kent McCausland. All he could do was shoot 3-pointers. That's it! However, McCausland was a much, much better shooter than Ogelsby is now.

Maybe I'm being too hard on Ogelsby, but I have a difficult time finding positive things to say about him as a basketball player. Ogelsby reminds me of Kent McCausland. All he could do was shoot 3-pointers. That's it! However, McCausland was a much, much better shooter than Ogelsby is now.

You are too hard on him. He is a much better all-around player than McCausland. About the only area he did not improve on was his shooting. He will be better next year,and an important points producer off the bench.

brutal take on your part then.

You are too hard on him. He is a much better all-around player than McCausland. About the only area he did not improve on was his shooting. He will be better next year,and an important points producer off the bench.

Disagree 100% as O should only see playing time in blowouts as he just not a B1G caliber player.

I've commented on all of this in other threads so I'm not going to address everyone to the extent I normally would. These are my opinions.

White - Gym rat and will improve his perimeter game and get stronger for his inside game

Basabe - Agree but keep in mind the way Gatens and May stepped up as seniors so...

McCabe - Disagree on the minutes...just has to stay on the perimeter more and step
up as a senior

Gesell - No worries...will be fine and healthy

Clemmons - No worries...is going to be special IMO

Woodbury - No worries...will get stronger and make more FTs and has a great work ethic

Olaseni - Just has to improve as much as he did this past year...big and athletic and mobile and blocks shots

Marble - Wants to play in the NBA and will be making that statement...senior bump makes him scary

Oglesby - Will make more 3s and can play...2 to 1 assist to TO ratio and 79% from the line

Jok - Will be a star eventually...an additional 3 shooter at the minimum

Uthoff - Mr. Basketball and Bo obviously wanted to keep him and Fran wanted to take him...enough said

Recruiting - Somehow found Cartright in June, got Woodbury and Gesell and stuck with Jok...In great shape

Woody is plenty strong defensively. Did everyone miss Woody dominating (defensively) 270 lbs Derrick Nix in the BTT? For some reason Fran didnt play him or Olaseni in the second half which (aside for Teddy V) is the reason we lost. Woody is

Ogelsby - is a solid defender. He is a good ballhandler. He is a very good passer (second best post entry passer on the team behind gesell). If he learns to get his shot off in better rhythm and better position so he isn't fading back or to the sides he will raise his shooting percentage and demand more time on the court.

Ogelsby has more to his game then McCausland did. Not that that is saying alot but I certainly feel that he does. He can defend better (really isn't a bad defender at all) He can get up and down the court better then Mac could. I think that unless he plays well in practice early and in the games early on next yr his mins will be cut down on with Jok and hopefully the rest of the backcourt being healthy. That said if he regains his stroke and confidence it'll be just that tough to keep him from not having a role on the team cause a guy that can shoot 3s like he's capable of is just invaluable. Fran will trust him cause I think he's a smart kid and knows all the ins and outs of what Fran expects at both ends. Jok will have to earn that. (not saying he can't or won't) I just think for Jok to get it that it will take some time and I don't see Jok getting all of Oglesbys mins starting game #1. We'll see

Ogelsby - is a solid defender. He is a good ballhandler. He is a very good passer (second best post entry passer on the team behind gesell). If he learns to get his shot off in better rhythm and better position so he isn't fading back or to the sides he will raise his shooting percentage and demand more time on the court.

lets hope for a ton of blowouts in the non-con schedule next year for him to get some decent minutes (and game shots, not just practice).

He needs to lose 15-20 pounds, he is too slow

White needs to improve his shooting. But according to this article in the Sioux City Journal, he’s really focusing on the weight room as well this off-season. To me, that means he’s going back to the 4. Hawkeyes' future bright after NIT run

Agree about Mel’s role next year and Zach’s minutes going down, while efficiency for both will go up.

Foot is only thing that could be in the way for Mike. Looking forward to him giving the team another offensive dimension.

AC needs to be the consistent presence at PG off the bench and defensive stopper. He’s only going to get better at that role with experience.

Interested to see what more strength does for Woody. He’s already a physical presence. The more he can hold a position, the better he’s going to be on O and D.

The story with Gabe is consistency. The more he plays this summer the better.

Dev does create off the dribble. It’s difficult with ultra-quick guards but other than those match-ups he scores better with the ball in his hands. Check this out from the Sioux City Journal Article above.

"“McCaffery is uncertain who will be the Hawkeyes’ primary point guard next season, whether Gesell will return to that role or if Marble will continue there. He expects that to evolve over time.”

“I understand where he’s coming from. I go back and forth on it myself,’’ Marble said. “It may be one of those situations where it changes from game to game or within games based on match-ups. I can live with that. I want what’s best for the team. We all do.’’”

In everything but shooting JO did pretty well and that was good in practice apparently. So it’s obviously psychological. He took a big hit to his confidence as a shooter this year that may take another year to recover from. Next year I expect our shooting to be better and 2014-15 better yet.

Think JU and PJ will add to team athleticism but will unquestionably add to the team skill set with their shooting.

About recruiting, Malek Harris and Tyler Ulis were seen just outside of Milwaukee at NY2LA's Swish 'N Dish. According to Harris, "I've really been working hard on my dribbling. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable attacking from out on the wing."
HawkeyeReport.com - Okafor dominates at Swish 'N Dish

Last edited:

Latest posts