Play Like This...

What good would that do when you've got no one else that can effectively guard the point?

You're the one saying we need a point guard. Why not just say we need a guard beside Bohannon that can play defense? It seems like all the reasons why Bohannon sucks really comes down to the fact that the guard play around him sucks. It's a really weird way to look at things.

If we had a shooting guard who could create his own shot and lock down the opposing team's best guard, Bohannon would be an awesome point guard. If we got a point guard who could create his own shot and lock down the opposing team's best guard, Bohannon would be a great shooting guard. I honestly don't think either scenario would be better or worse than the other one. We should really change the generic "we need a point guard" arguement to "we need another guard". Because that's what everyone means anyway.

How many fingers you have on your hands? 6?
Very creepy man! You're starting to sound like me when I was deef.
giphy.gif

I think Fran thinks he has a point guard in Connor.

I agree. Whether he's right or wrong will be a huge contributor to how he will be remembered here. If he's really good, everything Fran has done at guard leading up to this will make way more sense. Why concentrate on a point guard when you have a good 4 year starter with Bohannon as a backup? It will make sense. Swing for the fences at that position, and if you miss, bring in a guy like Nunge. If he's wrong and Connor isn't the answer, Fran either looks like an idiot, or looks like a father who put too much stock into their son. Either way, it won't play out well for him.

The thing is, we don't know which way this will go down because it hasn't played out yet. But since the top 100ish recruit is a white kid from Iowa who happens to be the coaches son, fans are assuming the worst. If he had the same ranking as an out of state black kid, fans would be a lot more willing to watch it play out before condemning Fran.

I agree. Whether he's right or wrong will be a huge contributor to how he will be remembered here. If he's really good, everything Fran has done at guard leading up to this will make way more sense. Why concentrate on a point guard when you have a good 4 year starter with Bohannon as a backup? It will make sense. Swing for the fences at that position, and if you miss, bring in a guy like Nunge. If he's wrong and Connor isn't the answer, Fran either looks like an idiot, or looks like a father who put too much stock into their son. Either way, it won't play out well for him.

The thing is, we don't know which way this will go down because it hasn't played out yet. But since the top 100ish recruit is a white kid from Iowa who happens to be the coaches son, fans are assuming the worst. If he had the same ranking as an out of state black kid, fans would be a lot more willing to watch it play out before condemning Fran.
I just think there is a portion of this fan base that wants to see a lighting quick waterbug type point guard, and clearly Connor isn’t that.

For me personally I just don’t see it with Connor. I can’t draw any reference to a player he reminds me of who has success at this level. Maybe that’s a good thing, but my guess would be it isn’t.

I just think there is a portion of this fan base that wants to see a lighting quick waterbug type point guard, and clearly Connor isn’t that.

For me personally I just don’t see it with Connor. I can’t draw any reference to a player he reminds me of who has success at this level. Maybe that’s a good thing, but my guess would be it isn’t.

Think of white guy who plays really smart, which makes him a better player than he actually is. I'm sure there are plenty players that fit that bill over the years.

Not any 6’5, less than quick PGs that I can remember.

Way better than a 6'2", less than quick point guard. Woodridge wasn't quick, and he could only go right, and he could get into the lane at will because his strength. Connor is already a big dude. Maybe he can muscle into the paint with strength and ball handling ability. In fact, ball handling is probably more important that quickness when getting into the lane.

Seems like a really smart, really good ball handler, who passes really well may be just what we need. A smart defender is just as good as a quick one too. So for all we know, he's a good defender. What we need more than anything tho is an upgrade over our guards now. It won't take much to be an improvement over our guard play this year.

Way better than a 6'2", less than quick point guard. Woodridge wasn't quick, and he could only go right, and he could get into the lane at will because his strength. Connor is already a big dude. Maybe he can muscle into the paint with strength and ball handling ability. In fact, ball handling is probably more important that quickness when getting into the lane.
Seems like a really smart, really good ball handler, who passes really well may be just what we need. A smart defender is just as good as a quick one too. So for all we know, he's a good defender. What we need more than anything tho is an upgrade over our guards now. It won't take much to be an improvement over our guard play this year.
It’s not really ball handling either, Bohannon is a good ballhandler but can’t get by anyone. First step is key, maybe Connor has it, I didn’t see it in his HS film or the limited time we saw him this year.

I love your enthusiasm man, I just really don’t see it. I think it’s just wishfulness expecting him to be much of an upgrade here.

Conner ran the offense efficiently I thought, but that still doesn't give us a lockdown defender that can shut down a hot shooter. Baer is not quick enough against guards or small forwards and Moss is not strong enough. He doesn't need to score a lot of points, just needs to be tough and quick, the ability to transition wouldn't hurt either. We have enough offense.

It’s not really ball handling either, Bohannon is a good ballhandler but can’t get by anyone. First step is key, maybe Connor has it, I didn’t see it in his HS film or the limited time we saw him this year.

I love your enthusiasm man, I just really don’t see it. I think it’s just wishfulness expecting him to be much of an upgrade here.

I'm not giving enthusiasm at all because I have no idea if Connor can bring what I'm saying. I'm just suggesting that some guards use size, strength, and exceptional ball handling to gain an advantage. It's possible that could end up being Connor's game. I have no idea either way if that will be the case.

All also think we are a very unsavy team. If Connor is as smart of a player as advertised, that will be a big upgrade in that department over what we have now. That doesn't mean he will be an overall upgrade, but it's a good start.

He couldn’t guard a 2 or score on a 2. If a 2 wasn’t as quick they would just post him up or just shoot right over him. He would get scorched even more

Maybe. He did score on a lot of much more athletic 1's though, this year. I believe if he's paired with another guard as a threat and better positional help on Def , he'd be even better.