Play in games are very important

Did any of us watch the play in games last year? Yeah me neither. It won't stop me from going to the game and being excited about our chances but if we lose it'll feel like we weren't really there. It'll feel a lot like almost winning the NIT which no one watches or cares about.

Actually I did, but not the bubble teams. I enjoyed watching the 16 seeds going at it, it was a fun game to watch.

I never liked the NCAA expanding the tournament beyond 32 team. I still think the round of 64 is just a money grab by the NCAA. If you can't get to the "third round" (the first round back in the day), you aren't really in the tournament.

Filling out my brackets and I don't see these "important" play in games listed? Whar important games, whar?

That's your fault for not waiting until Wednesday night/Thursday morning to submit your brackets. I'm sure the people you're playing against enjoy your donation though.

I have to be honest that I've never watched a play-in game before but this year I'll probably watch 2 of them. I don't remember there being very interesting teams in the past like there are this year.

I have to be honest that I've never watched a play-in game before but this year I'll probably watch 2 of them. I don't remember there being very interesting teams in the past like there are this year.

Exactly, last year the first round games were:

Middle Tennessee/St Mary's
Liberty/NC A&T
Boise State/La Salle
James Madison/Long Island

Call it a conspiracy theory, but its easily believable that Iowa/Tennessee and Xavier/NC State were chosen for those first round games solely because they are power conference teams and will draw more interest. Would you watch SF Austin vs ND State? probably not, but I think most of us will probably watch Xavier/NC State or at least keep a loose eye on it.

I live in Minnesota and some of my friends, all Gopher fans, are asking where we're watching the Iowa/Tennessee game at. So obviously having a big ten team playing on Wednesday is better for ratings

I know I used it in the thread title, but as I had time to reflect further, I think the term needs to be stricken from the lexicon, similar to the R-word and "bossy." It really denigrates the accomplishments of the kids who fought so hard to get that far and that is not what college sports is all about. We need to reward, not ostracize, participation.
What does the participation trophy for the non winners (or perhaps secondary winners is a better term )of the play in games look like.

Latest posts