Pittsburgh to join the Big Ten.

Nope - February 30th is when all of the big announcements about all of the Big 12 and Big East teams joining are going to occur. At 2700 hours.

Nope - February 30th is when all of the big announcements about all of the Big 12 and Big East teams joining are going to occur. At 2700 hours.

My wife won't let me stay up that late, hope somebody will call me to let me know what happens!

Any more news about this???

Yes. NCAA just got off the phone with Superintendent Lane Plugge and the Iowa City School Board. In order to balance out Inequality among programs, UNI and their fans will now get bussed to Kinnick Stadium to play their home games, the Hawkeyes will go to DeKalb and Northern Illinois will play in Cedar Falls.

When asked by reporters how this helps long established fans of the programs, a spokesperson for the NCAA remarked, "after witnessing the wonderful work the consulting firm did for the Iowa City School District and following our edict of no football program should have attendance numbers over 20% of the NCAA average, we felt this was the best possible solution. Besides we formed a committee that studied this carefully and they gave us their full support." (Committee members were observed sucking their thumbs and the owner of the consulting firm was too busy playing with his crayons to field questions).
When asked why Ohio St. fans weren't being affected by the "redistricting" and would not be subjected to busing, the vice-president of the NCAA responded, "we didn't want to move too many fans."

It's happening.
Very, very wrong.

The BT presidents don't even meet until much later--and they are the only ones who will make the decision. At the moment, all that is happening is that the BT staff is preparing recommendations for whether expansion should be placed on the presidents' agenda for 2010 or possibly 2011, and staff & fauclty of the BT schools, including ADs, have been asked & encouraged to make suggestions and comment on the proposed recommendations--which are expected to be completed late Spring or this Summer.

The BT ONLY TWICE in the past 100 years has considered expantion: Michigaan State after World War 2, Penn State thirty years ago. Both times the process took more than two years AFTER it was placed on the BT presidents' agenda.

Currently, what I have heard from acquaintances in the BT office in Chicago and the Office of Post Secondary Education (my former work place, which is closely monitoring the BT situation AND the PAC-10) in the US Dept of Education is that they are a long way from zeroing in on specific possible targets to recommend for expansion, but at are the early stage of soliciting information, sensing attitudes, etc on more than a dozen institutions with significant research programs, not all of them potential candidates for BT membership, some not even serious players in college athletics (Case-Mellon, Washington University of St Louis, and Ivy League Cornell University--although it is doubtful that any of these three would be interested in the BT, but there is some talk of entering the consortium without participating in BT athletics--as some institutions already do on a very milited basis for some shared programs/facilties).

Deace really said that he thinks it could be ISU? And he said that with a straight face? Cmon

To be fair to Deace....he only mentioned it as part of a 3 team expansion, such as Nebraska, Missouri, and Iowa State, not a one team expansion.

It's a no brainer IMO,,,if the Big Ten can add Texas that's a home-run no-brainer in my book. Texas is such a huge get and to me by far trumps Notre Dame. Notre Dame has lost it's luster.

If I were Delany I would be lobbying hard for Texas and going to a 14 team super conference. My choices would be to add Texas, Texas A & M and one of the following; Pittsburgh, Missouri, Nebraska, Rutgers or Syracuse.

Texas alone opens a huge TV and population base market. Can you imagine the overall reach of the Big Ten!!!! .... think about the traditional about powers; Ohio State, Penn St, Michigan and Texas. Then other strong programs like Wisconsin, Michigan St and Iowa. Wow,,, take that SEC.

Although it would mean new challenges for Iowa I am always a firm believer in a strong conference. Texas is the answer to that.

It's a no brainer IMO,,,if the Big Ten can add Texas that's a home-run no-brainer in my book. Texas is such a huge get and to me by far trumps Notre Dame. Notre Dame has lost it's luster.

If I were Delany I would be lobbying hard for Texas and going to a 14 team super conference. My choices would be to add Texas, Texas A & M and one of the following; Pittsburgh, Missouri, Nebraska, Rutgers or Syracuse.

Texas alone opens a huge TV and population base market. Can you imagine the overall reach of the Big Ten!!!! .... think about the traditional about powers; Ohio State, Penn St, Michigan and Texas. Then other strong programs like Wisconsin, Michigan St and Iowa. Wow,,, take that SEC.

Although it would mean new challenges for Iowa I am always a firm believer in a strong conference. Texas is the answer to that.

Do you really want to see Texas Vs Ohio State for the Big Ten Championship in football every year??? I don't.

All the top Texas athletes will still pick Texas first, then Oklahoma, then other southern schools... It would not be good for Iowa.

Now the addition of a Missouri opens the door for Iowa big time.

No way this rumor is false... it sets up nicely for the big ten to expand on pitt and extend invites for tulane and eastern carolina to advance our east/southern footprints.

c'mon guy...

1. Texas
2. Notre Dame
3. Rutgers
4. Nebraska
5. North Carolina
6. Maryland
7. Virginia
8. Boston College
9. PITT
10. Missouri

Pitt brealy makes my Top 10. Would suck to see them join ahead of all those other teams.

Cool top ten list...

Latest posts