Pittsburgh to join the Big Ten.

Who has been handing out the crack? Why do people keep talking like Texas is even a slightly legitimite candiate to join the Big 10? They have super computers working on trying to compute the odds because their are so many zeros after the decimal point. Honestly, who the hell came up with such an absurd idea, and who keeps profligating it?

There is a better chance that Oxford or Cambridge join the Big 10 before Texas. If they establish human colonies on the moon, their schools have a better chance of joining the Big 10 than Texas. It can't happen, it won't happen, it's not happening. Stop acting like they are a real option, or drop the crack pipe. You just look foolish.

From today's Chicago Trib:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/bogus-report-has-pittsburgh-set-to-join-big-ten.html

Big Ten source refutes Pitt expansion report
February 1, 2010 11:32 AM | 1 Comment
By Teddy Greenstein

Erroneous reports such as this one from sports radio host Ben Maller have surfaced that claim that Pittsburgh is set to join an expanded Big Ten.

Apparently, the original source was a few student-athletes at Pitt who tweeted about a meeting during which Big Ten expansion was brought up -- or, more likely, not brought up.

Bottom line, a source at the conference reiterated to the Tribune on Monday that the Big Ten will adhere to the timetable it laid out in December: a 12-to-18 month period of analysis. The league will then determine whether it wants to expand and, if so, how many schools it will invite to the party.

Last edited:
Who has been handing out the crack? Why do people keep talking like Texas is even a slightly legitimite candiate to join the Big 10? They have super computers working on trying to compute the odds because their are so many zeros after the decimal point. Honestly, who the hell came up with such an absurd idea, and who keeps profligating it?

There is a better chance that Oxford or Cambridge join the Big 10 before Texas. If they establish human colonies on the moon, their schools have a better chance of joining the Big 10 than Texas. It can't happen, it won't happen, it's not happening. Stop acting like they are a real option, or drop the crack pipe. You just look foolish.

Texas applied to join the Big Ten before the Big 12 when it left the SWC.

Take a half-hour of your life to read this.

The Big Ten Expansion Index: A Different Shade of Orange FRANK THE TANK’S SLANT

If you still have doubts, read the addendum. Not only is it not completely insane, it's completely reasonable.

From today's Chicago Trib:

Big Ten source refutes Pitt expansion report
February 1, 2010 11:32 AM | 1 Comment
By Teddy Greenstein

Erroneous reports such as this one from sports radio host Ben Maller have surfaced that claim that Pittsburgh is set to join an expanded Big Ten.

Apparently, the original source was a few student-athletes at Pitt who tweeted about a meeting during which Big Ten expansion was brought up -- or, more likely, not brought up.

Bottom line, a source at the conference reiterated to the Tribune on Monday that the Big Ten will adhere to the timetable it laid out in December: a 12-to-18 month period of analysis. The league will then determine whether it wants to expand and, if so, how many schools it will invite to the party.

Well, there you have it.

And another thing, Pitt doesn't even have its own stadium. They play at Heinz Field, which can be a scheduling nightmare with the Steelers and local high school teams playing there during season as well. Not to mention that crappy field (which I like as a Steelers fan-home field advantage) but sucks for competition and asthetics.

This all was coming together too fast, so I'm not surprised to see denials in the media.

I just heard from a highly reputable source within the Big Ten Conference that Illinois is leaving the Big Ten and that the University of Chicago will rejoin the conference after a 64-year absence. Press conference on Friday.

You saw it here first.

I agree with this 100%

1. Texas
2. Notre Dame
3. Rutgers
4. Nebraska
5. North Carolina
6. Maryland
7. Virginia
8. Boston College
9. PITT
10. Missouri

Pitt brealy makes my Top 10. Would suck to see them join ahead of all those other teams.

The only three teams on your top ten that would even consider the Big Ten are Rutgers, Pitt and Missouri. Do you really think Texas, Nebraska, North Carolina, etc are ever leaving their current conference? We are talking about all sports right? North Carolina in the Big Ten? In what dream is this happening.

Vanderbilt - would love to have them

Vandy doesn't have a football program to speak of so they probably aren't at the top of the conferences wish list but I would absolutely love it as I live in Nashville.

I live in the Chattanooga area and it's clear that Tennessee as a whole doesn't care about Vandy. It's like Georgia Tech but with fewer fans.

I was thinking about Kentucky. Here's why:

Great basketball school, even if I can't stand their coach.
Football-better than Indiana, Illinois, and maybe better than Minnesota.
Geographically a great match--borders Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.
Instant rivalry in B-ball with Indiana.
Gets the Big 10 some southern exposure.
I'm not sure about the academics, but it seems like it would leave a lot to be desired.

All-in-all I would like to have UK in the Big Ten.

Yes, people need to quit daydreaming about Texas AND Nebraska. Neither will ever leave the Big 12. No chance. And hopefully someday ND will pay the price for refusing to join a conference.

I live in the Chattanooga area and it's clear that Tennessee as a whole doesn't care about Vandy. It's like Georgia Tech but with fewer fans.

I was thinking about Kentucky. Here's why:

Great basketball school, even if I can't stand their coach.
Football-better than Indiana, Illinois, and maybe better than Minnesota.
Geographically a great match--borders Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.
Instant rivalry in B-ball with Indiana.
Gets the Big 10 some southern exposure.
I'm not sure about the academics, but it seems like it would leave a lot to be desired.

All-in-all I would like to have UK in the Big Ten.

manual buzzer.....no TV market=not joining Big 10/11

No expect it sometime tonight or tomorrow, though. I guarantee it will be by at least 5:00 tomorrow.

You've got to be kidding. Despite our kidding, most of us have forgiven the creation of this thread... but you're still pushing this? Seriously?

The fact that you're being so adamant about this has the potential to hurt your credibility in the future. Just saying.

You've got to be kidding. Despite our kidding, most of us have forgiven the creation of this thread... but you're still pushing this? Seriously?

The fact that you're being so adamant about this has the potential to hurt your credibility in the future. Just saying.

I'm obviously kidding now.

I wasn't when I made the topic, but I really thought it was going to happen.

Latest posts