Pinstripe vs BC

No way I would give one cent of my money to either coast! Especially NYC in the winter 2 days after Christmas. Forget it! I was really hoping for Music City.

And not to mention the flood of people heading that direction for NYE and the added cost that go along with that - no thank you!

Fairly low, IMO. Brian isn't ready to take the reins yet. I think Kirk will stick around for a few more years. If we stay at ~7-8 wins with some decent big games, then he'll retire and Brian can take over.

Chance Kirk retires after a Pinstripe victory?

Fairly low, IMO. Brian isn't ready to take the reins yet. I think Kirk will stick around for a few more years. If we stay at ~7-8 wins with some decent big games, then he'll retire and Brian can take over.

cLcB3ti.gif

Wow! What a bunch of pussies! Waaah, it'll be too cold! Waaah, it'll be too crowded! Waaah, it costs too much.:rolleyes:

Have any of you ever been there? NYC, during the Christmas season is beautiful! Let alone, there's always something to see and do in the B1G-Apple! Catch a show. Wander around Times Square and Rockefeller Center - see the tree and watch the skaters, then go to Top of the Rock for some great pics of the skyline and Central Park. Check out the Christmas market and skating at Bryant Park. For newbies, buy a hop-on / hop-off bus ticket for <$50 and see all of the main Manhatten sights, including Empire State Building, Wall Street (the Bull), Statue of Liberty (usually can get a package deal with the bus to cruise by the Statue and stop at Ellis Island). There's plenty of cool bars from urban to neighborhood vibe all around 42nd - 50th streets from between 7th and 5th Ave's - many with Hawkeye stuff in them!
Not to mention, New Yorkers are some of the friendliest, most helpful people - far more than Chicagoans - and you can wander for blocks and blocks - all around midtown - and you are safe.

I STRONGLY suggest not getting RAPED by some overpriced package through the University or any other offer (ahem, HN). In 10 minutes I put together a package on Expedia, O'Hare to Laguardia, 2-nights at 4*- Club Quaters in Midtown, 3 blocks from Bryant Park, 4 blocks from Rockefeller, 4 blocks from Times Sqr for less than $1,200 FOR 2 PEOPLE!!

Compare that to the bend-over-grab-ur-ankles-this is gonna hurt- package offered through the University that will cost almost 4,000 f-ing dollars! Sorry, transportation and game tickets don't cost no $2,800. Subway from airport to Midtown to Yankee Stadium to Midtown to Airport will cost you around $30 bucks (and gets you there much faster), and a pair of tickets range from $140 - $300.

As far as the game goes ... I like the match up and the Hawks' chances to beat a similarly built BC team. That's a refreshing thought after several years of getting their asses embarrassed in a bowl game.

Subway from airport to Midtown to Yankee Stadium to Midtown to Airport will cost you around $30 bucks (and gets you there much faster), and a pair of tickets range from $140 - $30..

Concur on everything you said except this. If you're flying into JFK or LGA know that there is no public transit, other than busses, that get into Manhattan. From Newark you can take the PATH into the city then get around. Once you're in Manhattan you're golden on the MTA, but getting from Queens to midtown could be a struggle.

Source: grew up in CT, know way too much about trying to get around New York

Wow! What a bunch of pussies! Waaah, it'll be too cold! Waaah, it'll be too crowded! Waaah, it costs too much.:rolleyes:

Have any of you ever been there? NYC, during the Christmas season is beautiful! Let alone, there's always something to see and do in the B1G-Apple! Catch a show. Wander around Times Square and Rockefeller Center - see the tree and watch the skaters, then go to Top of the Rock for some great pics of the skyline and Central Park. Check out the Christmas market and skating at Bryant Park. For newbies, buy a hop-on / hop-off bus ticket for <$50 and see all of the main Manhatten sights, including Empire State Building, Wall Street (the Bull), Statue of Liberty (usually can get a package deal with the bus to cruise by the Statue and stop at Ellis Island). There's plenty of cool bars from urban to neighborhood vibe all around 42nd - 50th streets from between 7th and 5th Ave's - many with Hawkeye stuff in them!
Not to mention, New Yorkers are some of the friendliest, most helpful people - far more than Chicagoans - and you can wander for blocks and blocks - all around midtown - and you are safe.

I STRONGLY suggest not getting RAPED by some overpriced package through the University or any other offer (ahem, HN). In 10 minutes I put together a package on Expedia, O'Hare to Laguardia, 2-nights at 4*- Club Quaters in Midtown, 3 blocks from Bryant Park, 4 blocks from Rockefeller, 4 blocks from Times Sqr for less than $1,200 FOR 2 PEOPLE!!

Compare that to the bend-over-grab-ur-ankles-this is gonna hurt- package offered through the University that will cost almost 4,000 f-ing dollars! Sorry, transportation and game tickets don't cost no $2,800. Subway from airport to Midtown to Yankee Stadium to Midtown to Airport will cost you around $30 bucks (and gets you there much faster), and a pair of tickets range from $140 - $300.

As far as the game goes ... I like the match up and the Hawks' chances to beat a similarly built BC team. That's a refreshing thought after several years of getting their asses embarrassed in a bowl game.
WAAAH sounds awful

The most hilarious part of those packages is the coach bus transportation. Lol. That’s a great idea in NYC. Get a metrocard and take the Subway everywhere. Get to Yankee Stadium in 25 mins from Times Square via subway.

Chance Kirk retires after a Pinstripe victory?
Same chance ... as you not ... using ... drama dot-dot- ... ... dots ... for a year?

Your ... stuff reads like ... the acting of ... the other ...
Capt. Kirk of the USS Enterprise

Concur on everything you said except this. If you're flying into JFK or LGA know that there is no public transit, other than busses, that get into Manhattan. From Newark you can take the PATH into the city then get around. Once you're in Manhattan you're golden on the MTA, but getting from Queens to midtown could be a struggle.

Source: grew up in CT, know way too much about trying to get around New York

Au Contraire, mon frere. You take the E, F, M or R (I think R is quickest?) train to Jackson Hts. There, you HAVE to catch a bus into LaGuardia. Once you exit subway, bus station is right across the street and the LaGuardia shuttle - I think its the Q70? - comes every 10 minutes.

Insider tip: You will see a lot of people just hopping on the bus and think "WTF did I buy a ticket? Free ride to the airport, how awesome!" ** Warning ** There are sometimes "stings" at LaGuardia to catch freeloaders as they exit the bus - $150 fine vs a 2.75 ticket, you decide.
(We got away with it once. Our last trip, I was scrambling to find change for the ticket machine and was thinking, "F-it, just gonna stowaway." The bus driver gave us a friendly warning and we got off to buy tix and caught the next one. Sure enough, Port Authority asking to see tickets as we got off the bus at LGA.)

JFK is even easier because the subway station - no bus involved.

Depending on where you stay in Manhatten, especially if lower, you may have to switch trains but it's nothing traumatic. Also depending, the whole trip from Manhatten via train to either airport is 45" to 1 hour. Trust me, you are not going to get there any faster in a vehicle; maybe via private car but that's it and that's $$$.

Again, locals there are MORE than happy to help direct you and I also use the "City Mapper" app, which plots out the whole trip - how much walking, trains / buses, names of the stops and how long each segment / mode of transportation will take.

You can GPS train rides on your phone. Put in your destination the same way you would driving. Instead of car, switch over to the transit option on GPS. From your location where you’re standing it will tell you the closest station, the train to get on, # of stops, what each stop is and it will tell you where to get off. It’s holding your hand for the subway.

Au Contraire, mon frere. You take the E, F, M or R (I think R is quickest?) train to Jackson Hts. There, you HAVE to catch a bus into LaGuardia. Once you exit subway, bus station is right across the street and the LaGuardia shuttle - I think its the Q70? - comes every 10 minutes.

Insider tip: You will see a lot of people just hopping on the bus and think "WTF did I buy a ticket? Free ride to the airport, how awesome!" ** Warning ** There are sometimes "stings" at LaGuardia to catch freeloaders as they exit the bus - $150 fine vs a 2.75 ticket, you decide.
(We got away with it once. Our last trip, I was scrambling to find change for the ticket machine and was thinking, "F-it, just gonna stowaway." The bus driver gave us a friendly warning and we got off to buy tix and caught the next one. Sure enough, Port Authority asking to see tickets as we got off the bus at LGA.)

JFK is even easier because the subway station - no bus involved.

Depending on where you stay in Manhatten, especially if lower, you may have to switch trains but it's nothing traumatic. Also depending, the whole trip from Manhatten via train to either airport is 45" to 1 hour. Trust me, you are not going to get there any faster in a vehicle; maybe via private car but that's it and that's $$$.

Again, locals there are MORE than happy to help direct you and I also use the "City Mapper" app, which plots out the whole trip - how much walking, trains / buses, names of the stops and how long each segment / mode of transportation will take.
Wow this sounds relaxing!

Wow this sounds relaxing!

I take it from your posts that you are NOT going to the bowl game and are probably not up to traveling to and around the B1G Apple. Urban exploring, taking on the challenges of the concrete jungle and enjoying all the action and culture of a huge city isn't for everyone.

It's best if some folks just stay put here in Iowa. Don't need a bunch of whiny rubes leaving a bad impression and perpetuating the "Hick" stereotype.

I take it from your posts that you are NOT going to the bowl game and are probably not up to traveling to and around the B1G Apple. Urban exploring, taking on the challenges of the concrete jungle and enjoying all the action and culture of a huge city isn't for everyone.

It's best if some folks just stay put here in Iowa. Don't need a bunch of whiny rubes leaving a bad impression and perpetuating the "Hick" stereotype.
And here comes the name calling. Very predictable.

Latest posts