Pieces from the Past: Alford surely isn’t too shy - gazette.com

***HINDSIGHT BIAS WARNING*** From his quotes in the article, this Alford fellow seems like a self-centered ******.

EDIT: The word that got starred out starts with a 'd' and rhymes with 'koosh.'

Certainly an interesting period in Iowa basketball history. Lots of (barely) winning seasons, but no sense of satisfaction in the end product. For those of us old enough, I genuinely looked forward to selection Sunday during the Davis era and going all the way back to 1979. Most years you automatically knew we were going to be selected that the suspense was, "where are we going and who are we playing (Oh, no. Not friggin' Duke again!)." You rarely had that feeling during the Alford regime although he always acted as if the fans should have been impressed with his accomplishments. When we did manage the NCAA's, it was usually a major comedown. Wasn't sorry to see him move on one bit. But little did we know what we were getting as a replacement.

He sold us all a hell of a lemon of a used car. Thank God we've paid that sucker off and have a good set of wheels again.

From the article:

So the Bowlsbyization of Iowa athletics is now complete with football coach Kirk Ferentz and wrestling coach (Mr. 2-for-2 in the NCAA Championships) Jim Zalesky.

In 1999, how many Hawk fans could have predicted that Ferentz would outlast Alford, Zelesky, and Bowlsby?

From the article:

So the Bowlsbyization of Iowa athletics is now complete with football coach Kirk Ferentz and wrestling coach (Mr. 2-for-2 in the NCAA Championships) Jim Zalesky.

In 1999, how many Hawk fans could have predicted that Ferentz would outlast Alford, Zelesky, and Bowlsby?

Tru dat. Alford was the home-run hire and Ferentz was the "who?" hire.

I have posted both on this and other Hawkeye boards time and again that I was thrilled with the Alf higher, ****** about the Ferentz hire and dead wrong about both.

Re: Pieces from the Past: Alford surely isn�t too shy - gazette.com

It's pronounced Al-fraud. What a full of himself ******.

Re:pieces from the Past: Alford surely isnÂ’t too shy - gazette.com

To our credit, ISU fans hated him from Day 1. :)

Re: Pieces from the Past: Alford surely isnÂ’t too shy - gazette.com

Sorry guys, I thought Alford was a good coach. Fran is a better coach.

Sorry guys, I thought Alford was a good coach. Fran is a better coach.

Agreed. Alford fell victim to Wisconsin coming back and a major slide in our facilities relative to the conference.

Agreed. Alford fell victim to Wisconsin coming back and a major slide in our facilities relative to the conference.

No, Alford fell victim to his arrogance and backing PP instead of just kicking him out. He also had a couple potentially great teams that he allowed to self-implode. Alford also wasn't smart enough to recruit players that could actually qualify academically. Lastly, there were too many arrests and transfers for Iowa to ever contend on a long term basis. I think he had 7, maybe 8 kids that he recruited to Iowa as freshman graduate out of a pool around 30...that is beyond terrible.

As a coach, I think he isn't a bad coach. There was no integrity at Iowa when he was there and it shows in the player activity every season when he was there. It got to the point where the only time Iowa was in the news was to announce a player transfering or a player getting arrested. Yes, it was that bad.

Latest posts