Pick the Starting QB for next season

Man, if I even had a clue....
I do think they will take a stab at finding someone in the portal. I think they have to.
I just read an article about the "10 best qbs in the portal".

I think it's a new reality. I mean, Bazelak......if he gets to a power 5 school, would he be the first ever p5 starter for 3 different teams? I know JT Daniels played at 3, but did he start at 3? I mean, you've got 3 qbs from the Big 10 in the portal....one is a starter, the other is a former starter, and the other is arguably the 'expected' starter.

That's wild.

At least 10 QBs that have more than garbage time experience under their belt ranging from lower tier to top tier schools. There's likely others coming. These are just the ones who saw the writing on the wall with either someone already dethroning them, or were unseated by injury. Iowa would be attractive to any number of these qbs.

Question is, will Kirk find any of them attractive.

Man, if I even had a clue....
I do think they will take a stab at finding someone in the portal. I think they have to.
I just read an article about the "10 best qbs in the portal".

I think it's a new reality. I mean, Bazelak......if he gets to a power 5 school, would he be the first ever p5 starter for 3 different teams? I know JT Daniels played at 3, but did he start at 3? I mean, you've got 3 qbs from the Big 10 in the portal....one is a starter, the other is a former starter, and the other is arguably the 'expected' starter.

That's wild.

At least 10 QBs that have more than garbage time experience under their belt ranging from lower tier to top tier schools. There's likely others coming. These are just the ones who saw the writing on the wall with either someone already dethroning them, or were unseated by injury. Iowa would be attractive to any number of these qbs.

Question is, will Kirk find any of them attractive.
Actually, will any of them find Iowa attractive?"

I would not be afraid of a portal QB from the MAC, Mt.West, or others. We have seen some pretty good one’s from step down leagues. Admittedly, the best bet would be to poach a QB that wants a shot at a bigger stage.

Actually, will any of them find Iowa attractive?"
Yes. A virtually guaranteed starting job at a top tier BT team that has been a consistent winner? Iowa is not actually a grave yard. Yeah, I know. We all know our O has been pretty bad. But, I can name a bunch of BT teams that would be less desirable destinations.

Yes. A virtually guaranteed starting job at a top tier BT team that has been a consistent winner? Iowa is not actually a grave yard. Yeah, I know. We all know our O has been pretty bad. But, I can name a bunch of BT teams that would be less desirable destinations.
No need to speculate, we are about to find out how attractive Iowa is to transfers.

Padilla Probably at Eastern Illinois or UNI
Labbas He must be really bad if he didn't see the field this year
Carsen May 6'5 Sounds like the prototype Iowa QB
Lainez coming in next year How could he possibly learn such a complicated sophisticated system

Portal???

stepping back and looking at it. They have not recruited well at QB. And I think for good reason.

The scheme is not interesting to a good QB. Ya, Iwa is an established Big Ten team so there will always be SOMEBODY who will want to play qb at Iowa. But not talented players that will help Iowa win.

Petras was such a disapointment. He flashed from time to time, but it wasnt consistent at all and the lows were really low....and yet...he was the best of the QBs. Its as if each year they recruited a QB with less talent than the year before.

The O-Line exacerbated the issue too. who knows how much.

If only they could throw a $1M at some coach to oversee the offense.

Or, we're about to find out how much our coaching staff is or isn't attracted to transfers.
We may never know how active or attractive the Iowa program is regarding the portal.
According to Scott Dochterman, Iowa went after at least 4 portal players last year and whiffed on all.
(1 QB, 2 OL, 1 WR).

Great guy. Bad QB.. He can throw the ball a country mile. But was inconsistent as all get out with his feet and fundamentals. Would get himself rushed and have tunnel vision. Just way too inaccurate for my taste and it's not like it was just this yr either. He has 3 yrs of tape on him. For whatever the reasons and their were several he never developed.
No QB under B Fer is GOING to develop....

No QB under B Fer is GOING to develop....
I agree he's no QB coach or OC if you ask me... And Petras may very well be exhibit A to that. He had him his whole tenure. Can anyone say with a straight face that Petras improved during his time in any noticeable significant way? IDC if he memorized the playbook inside out better then the others. If he can't play QB worth a darn on game days that's all that matters. Point blank. So with that being said if Petras was their best option and nobody behind him was any better that's just scary....

What I think upsets fans the most is game day performance never seemed to be of very high importance when evaluating the QBs. They always seemed to revert to how they look in practice...

Latest posts