Pick on nebraska

The fact that they have been beaten 4 straight times by Iowa must just be a foul odor in their corn. It's not ringworm or milkweed, it's the stench that comes from not being able to beat a supposed inferior rival for half a decade...including a few physical "your my bitch" beatdowns.

Some real Nowledge of farming right thar.

Well done.

Wisconsin, new QB? Pudue. Blaugh gone. Good D. Good coach. NW. New QB. Illinois. Sad. Minnesota. Nah. Nebraska. Stanley Morgan Jr gone. 2nd year coach. Good QB should be a better team.

Not jumping on the Iowa winning the West yet. But....

I'm just floored at how they act like they invented some new complex scheme.
In the world today, especially with pass happy spread teams everyone has figured out that if you can get to the qb fast (have an attacking defense) you can get a team off schedule and behind the chains. Which is great, except when they counter that. Over pursuit and getting up field to fast can leave lanes open. Which is especially bad with a qb who can/will run. That's why you see so many college teams playing mobile qb's, because if you over persue and leave a gap open, they tuck and run. It's a way to counter attacking defenses.
Phil has done a wonderful job of teaching a balanced and proper defense for the modem era as shown by the total defensive rankings.
I know everyone is saying AJ should have had more snaps. He is extremely talented but he is also young. No doubt if he stays and keeps learning as much as he can for as long as he can, he is going to punch his own ticket. I know to fans, we want to see ________ but sometimes there is more going on there. Few of us doubt AJ couldn't "beat" just about anyone you line up across from him, but the question is can he maintain and shed. Bring it when called upon. Remember if you first drive your blocker back before shedding, you have created even more traffic in the backfield, not to mention will get numerous block in the back/holding penalties. I recall last year's Nebraska game and there was definitely some over pursuit going on. I'm glad that qb was a freshman. We were getting back there but several times couldn't get hands on him in the beginning of the game.
Anyway back to this 3-4 the whole concept is based on having a ng that has to be double teamed. But you only have to do it for a second, like a chip and then move on to the Ilb, if you have a rb who is hard to bring down, there is yads to be had right up the middle. The more tired the middle gets??? :)
Other than that just remember most of the attacking from a 3-4 comes off the edges (which leaves less coverage). Sending an Ilb up a gap (if the ng can command a double team) is a much riskier play. They will do it but the interior of the ol, (or rb in pass protect) that is double teaming a ng just has to be aware and heads up to gap control and drop the double and fill the gap if a Ilb tries that.

There. Simple and to the point. I just destroyed his million word argument in a couple of paragraphs.

Last edited:
It's slowing down for the summer and I'm bored.

https://forum.huskermax.com/index.php?threads/why-chinander-prefers-the-3-4-defense.110545/

Someone might want to tell this "coach" that Iowa could have kept running it down thier throats last year. Also they claim to have gotten so much better towards the end of the year, and that Wisconsin has the best ol and rb they faced, but still iowa gained more yards on them. Something doesn't add up with those statements.
Nebraska scored just a few more points on us then they did on this innovative and awesome 3-4 defense of Wisconsin's. Yet again "Nebraska was so much greatly improved by the end of the year.

Ok I'm done. I don't need to write a half million words to act like I know something.
I stopped reading after I saw his first Xs/Os picture. No 4 man front that I ever saw, lines up like that.

I stopped reading after I saw his first Xs/Os picture. No 4 man front that I ever saw, lines up like that.
Likes to hear himself talk/type though.
It's not rocket science even if it is to him.
But all you have to do is YouTube a video on just about anything and you will find that.
My brother bought a new camera and YouTube a video thinking he would learn about it and it was literally the guy taking it out of the box. Lol
"Here it is, here is the cord," ECT ECT.

Yeah, because OSU,PSU, Wisconsin, Michigan typically beat Iowa. Iowa has been beating up on Nebraska because of the weak link at QB. Martinez is only a sophomore but he's the best they have had since coming to the B1G. He may end up being the best QB in the west this year.

This year's black Friday game is anything up certain for Iowa. It's Frost's 2nd (3rd?) year. Martinez's second year. It's in Nebraska. Iowa lost a bunch of play maker's from their receiving corps.

I disagree with this.

We have been beating up on Nebraska because they have prioritized skill position talent over quality in the trenches. We have beaten the ever-loving shit out of them at the line of scrimmage over the last several years. If there comes a time that their line play on both sides of the ball catches up to their skill position talent, then we'll be in trouble. But until that time, I'm not worried by an all-world QB if they are still below avg at the line of scrimmage on both sides.

I disagree with this.

We have been beating up on Nebraska because they have prioritized skill position talent over quality in the trenches. We have beaten the ever-loving shit out of them at the line of scrimmage over the last several years. If there comes a time that their line play on both sides of the ball catches up to their skill position talent, then we'll be in trouble. But until that time, I'm not worried by an all-world QB if they are still below avg at the line of scrimmage on both sides.

I would worry about Nebraska this year. Their program is on the rise. Combine that with Iowa's offensive losses and it could be a tough road trip to Lincoln this year.
Iowa needs a strong defense and someone to step up offensively. The Hawkeyes will need to rely on their running game more than they would like too. Given that Purdue, Wisconsin and Northwestern are all going to have new QBs, Nebraska could be a contender in the West along with Minnesota.

Here is my take.
Michigan is installing a new offense. We get them early.
Nebraska is in year two but so thin in spots, that if they can create any push on our two deeps, I will be disappointed.
I don't see any reason why we can't take advantage of our schedule. None.

If Kirk hands off to Kirk Junior your OK with that? Twenty more years of mediocrity and irrelevance?

That's perfectly acceptable to most fans here. Any other college and KF and BF wouldn't be employed. This team will take a step back this year on both sides of the ball.

Here is my take.
Nebraska is in year two but so thin in spots, that if they can create any push on our two deeps, I will be disappointed.
When have we taken advantage of our soft schedule?

Here is my take.

"I don't see any reason why we can't take advantage of our schedule."

Except that Hock, Fant and Easley are gone. Iowa has to make big strides to replace those guys. I hope your right.

"I don't see any reason why we can't take advantage of our schedule."

Except that Hock, Fant and Easley are gone. Iowa has to make big strides to replace those guys. I hope your right.

That definitely seems worrisome. But we have to remember, we were saying the same thing last year. How can Iowa's offense not drop off: we lost our only playmaker (Wadley) and our best 2 OL (Daniels and Welsh)? And yet, Iowa's Offensive efficiency went from 54th to 38th in the country according to ESPN's metric. According to Football Insiders, they essentially stayed the same (from 45th in the country to 48th).

I am pinning my hopes on a vastly improved running game, better outside production, and especially on better situational execution (think red zone trips vs. Wisc and PSU).

That definitely seems worrisome. But we have to remember, we were saying the same thing last year. How can Iowa's offense not drop off: we lost our only playmaker (Wadley) and our best 2 OL (Daniels and Welsh)? And yet, Iowa's Offensive efficiency went from 54th to 38th in the country according to ESPN's metric. According to Football Insiders, they essentially stayed the same (from 45th in the country to 48th).

I am pinning my hopes on a vastly improved running game, better outside production, and especially on better situational execution (think red zone trips vs. Wisc and PSU).

I agree. I am sure the coaches are working to make changes. I think the running game is going to be better. How much is the question. We go through this every off season. And most seasons we are pleasantly surprised.

Latest posts