Pic Iowa v Evansville 1965?

Row55

Came across this pic of Jerry Sloan playing for Evansville against Iowa. The Hawks are wearing the Ralph Miller era road unis. Two questions: who are the Iowa players shown; and was the game at Evansville, and if not, where (decent size crowd and E-ville was "College Division" at the time)?

Thanks!

large_Jerry%20Sloan%20Action%20at%20Evansville.jpg

The player in the foreground looks like it might be Dennis Pauling.

Player in the background looks like Chris Pervall.

This dates me a bit. But #24 for the Hawks is Joel Jessen. He was a 6'6" forward. I was Scandinavian blond and had a lot of spunk. The '65 team was fun to watch.

This dates me a bit. But #24 for the Hawks is Joel Jessen. He was a 6'6" forward. I was Scandinavian blond and had a lot of spunk. The '65 team was fun to watch.

Oh. I an I almost forgot. The player partially obscured is Gerry Jones (#23). The thing that clinches his identity is the white knee pad. He always wore one on each knee. Gerry was an underrated 3 years starter. I think he passed away 10 or 15 years ago from burns in a horrible house fire. He was great high school player in the Chicago area. Denny Pauling, Tom Norman, George Peeples, Gary Olson, Chris Pervall, Tom Chapman Jr., Eddie Bastian, Fred Riddle, Jimmy Rodgers and the favorite benchwarmer, Lew Perkins.

Oh. I an I almost forgot. The player partially obscured is Gerry Jones (#23). The thing that clinches his identity is the white knee pad. He always wore one on each knee. Gerry was an underrated 3 years starter. I think he passed away 10 or 15 years ago from burns in a horrible house fire. He was great high school player in the Chicago area. Denny Pauling, Tom Norman, George Peeples, Gary Olson, Chris Pervall, Tom Chapman Jr., Eddie Bastian, Fred Riddle, Jimmy Rodgers and the favorite benchwarmer, Lew Perkins.

Man, I wish the oldtimers could get a sticky thread and talk about these old teams every day. I love to hear about the pre-1980s Iowa teams and there is just so little out there. I wish they dissected every piece of minutae from the the '65 team like we do with the '87 team.

I'm officially requesting it Jon - a sticky "History of Iowa basketball" thread.

Man, I wish the oldtimers could get a sticky thread and talk about these old teams every day. I love to hear about the pre-1980s Iowa teams and there is just so little out there. I wish they dissected every piece of minutae from the the '65 team like we do with the '87 team.

I'm officially requesting it Jon - a sticky "History of Iowa basketball" thread.

The '69-'70 team was arguably the best team ever! Averaged over 100 a game with no 3 point shot, and no shot clock! Fantastic team and so much fun to watch.

Last edited:

Latest posts