Phil Parker as head coach

HawkeyeDenis

Wow! Can't believe I didn't think of this. Phil Parker as the next head coach!? Steve Deace floated this on their Nebraska/ Iowa game podcast. I think this is a great choice. But like Steve said it probably won't happen.

You don't have to be a statistician to understand what kind of job Parker has done at Iowa. There has been a lot of speculation every since Brian Ferentz came in the locker room as a coach that he would be the heir apparent. I am not one of those that think he is a terrible offensive coordinator, neither am I on his bandwagon. I think we get glimpses of Brian tempered with the presence of his father. I think he is the only one who has gotten his father to open up the playbook and change the conservative strategy.

Parker is one of the best defensive coordinators in the country, it's not publicized but I am sure he probably gets more than a few offers.

He’s already been asked about it several times and said he doesn’t want it.

There’s a press conference on YouTube where he talks about it.

There’s been tons of discussion about it on the board.

Thinking about it, It's quite plausible. He's 56. Kirk coaches for 3/4 more years. Phil's then 60. He runs the show for 5+ years. Brian Ferentz stays as OC, then based on how those 5 years go, Brian steps in as the head man. If he's not getting it done as the OC, then there is no good case for him to be the HC at that time. If he is, then his elevation to the head job will be more generally accepted. It actually makes a lot of sense. Lowers the risk for those involved.

Thinking about it, It's quite plausible. He's 56. Kirk coaches for 3/4 more years. Phil's then 60. He runs the show for 5+ years. Brian Ferentz stays as OC, then based on how those 5 years go, Brian steps in as the head man. If he's not getting it done as the OC, then there is no good case for him to be the HC at that time. If he is, then his elevation to the head job will be more generally accepted. It actually makes a lot of sense. Lowers the risk for those involved.

homes, brian doesn't deserve another 8 or 9 years as OC to then be penciled in as HC. if brian wants to be the HC at iowa, he needs to go to a MAC school, at minimum, and show he can be successful for 3-5 seasons. successful with winning records and conference titles.

homes, brian doesn't deserve another 8 or 9 years as OC to then be penciled in as HC. if brian wants to be the HC at iowa, he needs to go to a MAC school, at minimum, and show he can be successful for 3-5 seasons. successful with winning records and conference titles.
I hear you, but I was trying to put myself in the shoes of the football program, looking at this from the inside, not from the outside. My thinking was if there is a plan to have Brian become the head coach, it gets harder for him to coach outside the program and then get back in if the program stays successful while he's away. Maybe he leaves when Kirk retires and takes a head coaching job somewhere else, and Phil becomes the HC, which would only be for a few years. That would still leave room for Brian to come back presuming he's been successful wherever he goes. I could see that happening, too. Same affect as my scenario - Phil being the next head coach would be a key component of this. All this is under the presumption that Brian is to be the head man some day. If that's not the plan, then what happens after Kirk retires is up for grabs. One thing seems fairly certain, Iowa football doesn't operate on an up for grabs basis.

He doesn't want to do the fan/donor hand hold and dance for dollars and not be a hands on coach. he has said this many times. had he wanted to, he would have been somewhere by now.

He doesn't want to do the fan/donor hand hold and dance for dollars and not be a hands on coach. he has said this many times. had he wanted to, he would have been somewhere by now.
This. Phil Parker would have been poached looooooong ago by a major blue blood if he wanted to leave.

As head coach he'd would be going to golf outings and I-Club dinners, and signing footballs for full grown weirdo groupies like @HuckFinn instead of actually coaching. He don’t wanna do that.

Last edited:
LMAO! I love how you were able to include good old huckles in the thread, absolutely fantastic.

This. Phil Parker would have been poached looooooong ago by a major blue blood if he wanted to leave.

He would be going to golf outings and I-Club dinners, signing footballs for full grown weirdo groupies like @HuckFinn instead of actually coaching. He don’t wanna do that.

Someone I could see us losing soon would be Seth Wallace and then second Kelvin Bell. I am guessing they have some higher aspirations.

Someone I could see us losing soon would be Seth Wallace and then second Kelvin Bell. I am guessing they have some higher aspirations.

That"s a great idea. If Parker does not want the head job, then just promote Seth Wallace to head coach instead.

Putting Phil as HC would be a terrible move. He’s the reason we’ve put up 46 wins the last 5 years. Moving him to HC means the defense just got worse. No. Pay him SEC level DC money instead.

Right, we should promote the crappy coordinator instead because that actually might make the offense better.

This is anecdotal, but I feel like DCs are more prone to fail as HCs than OCs. I live PP, but he would have to hire him a stud OC and let him run with the offense

Of course, Iowas offense cant get much worse.

I would love Phil Parker to be the next HC

IF

he remained the DC

Not going to happen. Some guys just don’t like the glad-handing and politics of HCing. Some guys just want to coach young men.

The job skills of a head coach are drastically different than a defensive coordinator.

Phil is an excellent coordinator, which means Xs and Os and developing the skills of defensive players.

The head coach is the football CEO, who deals with more non-football stuff than football stuff. The CEO deals with media, the fans, boosters, the university president, etc.

I haven't seen Phil display the skills to be a CEO. He is an excellent DC, and those skills would go to waste as a HC.

Right, we should promote the crappy coordinator instead because that actually might make the offense better.

Please tell me where, in my statement, I made any reference whatsoever to my preference for a head coach after Kirk? I'll hang up and listen.

Hint: I didn't.