PG

revkev73

Iowa had a pretty good start and needed to play well to keep ahead of the talent storm that would soon consume them, like a Cat 5 Hurricane.

PG

Iowa +/- 4-16 FG 25%

2-9 3PT 11%

3 assists

MSU PG 12 assists

Why can't Fran get one of these playmakers that other teams seem to have?

Iowa had a pretty good start and needed to play well to keep ahead of the talent storm that would soon consume them, like a Cat 5 Hurricane.

PG

Iowa +/- 4-16 FG 25%

2-9 3PT 11%

3 assists

MSU PG 12 assists

Why can't Fran get one of these playmakers that other teams seem to have?
200w.gif

The reason why Fran can't get one of these guys is Connor McCaffery. No high D-1 guard is going to come play for a team where the head coach's son is playing the same position. Right or wrong, the perception is that head coach will play his son over them. The best they could hope for is splitting the minutes with the coach's son. No high level talent is going to sign on for that when they have multiple, better options.

MSU's PG is also the clear and defined leader of the team. He was an on the floor coach. Constantly on the other players even yelling at them when they made mistakes.

MSU's PG is also the clear and defined leader of the team. He was an on the floor coach. Constantly on the other players even yelling at them when they made mistakes.
A lack of leadership infects Iowa athletics from the AD on down...it isn't that complicated or difficult to see. Programs without leadership are soft, quit, and don't win many close games. Such programs are also, most often, highly sensitive and annoyed by critical looks at such programs from those outside the brotherhood.

Iowa's PGs and SGs are struggling to get shots off against quicker teams.

Defenders are realizing that the PGs and SGs can't drive past them and that if the PGs get the ball inside, Iowa's big guys are not much of a threat, unable to produce off of non existent post moves, that if executed at all, move away from the hoop, not towards it.

So, more pressure, tighter pressure extends out to the Iowa guards, the remedy is to drive by, which Iowa is unable to do, and has been unable to do for decades.

Changing the schemes doesn't work much, recruiting more talent does.

Watching the game for about 10 minutes, one realized Iowa had no chance the longer the game went on.

Good fight to start, but then rendered ineffective by a superior team. Coach and team capitulate, put tails between their legs, force things, go soft, go home. Fran Ball

To be fair, Winston was 2-9 at 22% seems like pretty similar numbers as Iowa's PGs to me shooting wise.

Obviously Winston is on the more elite level athletically and can dribble drive which creates for others.

Assist wise, a good chunk of those were FGs in the paint by Nick Ward who was 10-10, Kenny Goins who was 6-9 inside the 3 point line, and Xavier Tillman who was 5-6.

For Iowa, Cook played ok at 6-13 but Garza going 1-10 and 0-7 from inside the 3 point line was dreadful.

Yes, perimeter defense is partially to blame for last night's performance. To me though, I think it should be noted that it was the post defense that failed to deny the post feed as well and stop them from scoring once they got the ball.

Give MSU credit, especially Ward, he dominated and most of his shots were contested save a few where he snuck in behind the zone.

To be fair, Winston was 2-9 at 22% seems like pretty similar numbers as Iowa's PGs to me shooting wise.

Obviously Winston is on the more elite level athletically and can dribble drive which creates for others.

Assist wise, a good chunk of those were FGs in the paint by Nick Ward who was 10-10, Kenny Goins who was 6-9 inside the 3 point line, and Xavier Tillman who was 5-6.

For Iowa, Cook played ok at 6-13 but Garza going 1-10 and 0-7 from inside the 3 point line was dreadful.

Yes, perimeter defense is partially to blame for last night's performance. To me though, I think it should be noted that it was the post defense that failed to deny the post feed as well and stop them from scoring once they got the ball.

Give MSU credit, especially Ward, he dominated and most of his shots were contested save a few where he snuck in behind the zone.
Concur, Iowa had no answer. PG shooting isn't as important as having the ability to drive/penetrate to break down the defense and provide open looks for others. We don't have that threat.

Watching the game for about 10 minutes, one realized Iowa had no chance the longer the game went on.

Good fight to start, but then rendered ineffective by a superior team. Coach and team capitulate, put tails between their legs, force things, go soft, go home. Fran Ball
you do realize that’s it’s possible to get drilled by a superior team and not quit or go soft.

Garza's hops make Woodbury look like Lebron. I mean I get it, a guy his size won't likely have a 40in vertical, but I'm not sure you could slide a piece of paper under the rear part of his shoes on his "jump"shots. I was perplexed numerous times as to if he really meant to shoot with both feet touching the floor, or if that is what he considers a jump shot.

Garza's hops make Woodbury look like Lebron. I mean I get it, a guy his size won't likely have a 40in vertical, but I'm not sure you could slide a piece of paper under the rear part of his shoes on his "jump"shots. I was perplexed numerous times as to if he really meant to shoot with both feet touching the floor, or if that is what he considers a jump shot.
I like Kriener's drop-step, stationary set shot from 3 point range.

The reason why Fran can't get one of these guys is Connor McCaffery. No high D-1 guard is going to come play for a team where the head coach's son is playing the same position. Right or wrong, the perception is that head coach will play his son over them. The best they could hope for is splitting the minutes with the coach's son. No high level talent is going to sign on for that when they have multiple, better options.

What was his excuse in previous years then? I don't buy that talented players are afraid of competition that much. And other than Mike G. he hasn't gotten a solid point guard other than Bryce Carwright. Bohannon is more like a SG/Flex PG. Probably same thing with his son.

But I don't get all the hate on his son comming in, he has been a positive addition to the roster.

What was his excuse in previous years then? I don't buy that talented players are afraid of competition that much. And other than Mike G. he hasn't gotten a solid point guard other than Bryce Carwright. Bohannon is more like a SG/Flex PG. Probably same thing with his son.

But I don't get all the hate on his son comming in, he has been a positive addition to the roster.
They're not afraid of honest competition but they don't feel like a coach will be honest when it comes to who is better than their own son. Connor's effect has been since he committed. Maybe even a season before. Don't mistake my comments for hate. We are discussing Fran's inability to recruit PGs. I gave a reason. That's not hate. You're just too sensitive.

They're not afraid of honest competition but they don't feel like a coach will be honest when it comes to who is better than their own son. Connor's effect has been since he committed. Maybe even a season before. Don't mistake my comments for hate. We are discussing Fran's inability to recruit PGs. I gave a reason. That's not hate. You're just too sensitive.
One can easily hear other recruiters..."Hey, you are a great PG, but do you really think you are going to play ahead of the coaches son (s)? You decide, we want you with us, to play, lead us. Let me know."

Doesn’t appear that he has unseated Bohannon from his starting position or minutes.

One can easily hear other recruiters..."Hey, you are a great PG, but do you really think you are going to play ahead of the coaches son (s)? You decide, we want you with us, to play, lead us. Let me know."
"Go to Iowa and you'll be sitting on the bench behind the coach's son. Come here and you'll start as a true FR"