Peter Jok

LawVHawk

Have read the updates on his senior year and have seen a few videos. Looks solid, but I have to ask:

This year's Iowa basketball team is so devoid of a go-to shooter it is troubling. It is the one aspect of the current squad that has led to several close losses and the one I fear will keep Iowa from dancing this year (would dearly love to be wrong about that, BTW). Iowa lacks the one player who can be counted on to score, from anywhere on the floor, when the rest of the team is faltering, or can hold the ball with 20 seconds left in the half, run the clock down and create the space to take -- and make -- the final shot before the half or the game comes to an end.

Is Jok that player? Why, or why not? What will be his role next year? Discuss.

I don't think he's that player right now. If he continues to regain the athleticism that once had him rated as the top player in his class, that could change. But right now, he'd still provide a much better shooter from the outside than anyone we currently have. That alone could have made a big difference in several games this year.

Agree with the OP. I had high hopes for Clemmons and Ingram, but neither is a scorer, which is a pretty big miss IMO on the recruiting side. McCaffrey knew what he had returning minus Gatens and either misevaluated kids, or had expectations that exceeded reality for what guys can do in games. We need another dude capable of creating his own shot.

He is that player. He isn't 100% yet and a summer with the trainers at Iowa will just improve it. He may already be quick and explosive again but when you are shooting like how is he and is 6 foot 7 and can shoot over everyone then why drive basket?

Jok is 6'6" and averaging over 24 points a game. He's shooting 40% from 3 and 93% from the line. He should spread the defense and shoot a respectable percentage from 3 and from the line.

My best guess for next year is he will get some of May's minutes and some of Oglesby's minutes. I'm not worried about his shot. His strength, defense, turnovers, adjustment to the college game, etc. will likely dictate his minutes and thus his scoring average, etc. We will have a deep team so I'm not going to post something that inflates expectations but Big Pete can play.

Agree with the OP. I had high hopes for Clemmons and Ingram, but neither is a scorer, which is a pretty big miss IMO on the recruiting side. McCaffrey knew what he had returning minus Gatens and either misevaluated kids, or had expectations that exceeded reality for what guys can do in games. We need another dude capable of creating his own shot.

HAHAHA!!!! How can people evaluate Fran's recruiting on 2 kids 3/4 of the way through their freshmen year??? It's not fair to Fran or Ingram or Clemmons. They are freshmen, give them some time to develop.

If you had high hopes that Clemmons and Inram were recruited to provide scoring, then you've confirmed the level of recruiting awareness we've all suspected you had. Which is to say, not much.

I agree on development. Basabe, McCabe and Marble had to play from day one. Their stats were inflated because there was no one else to put on the floor. This year's freshmen (other than Gesell) don't have to play 25 minutes a game for Iowa to have success. This is a good thing. When Clemmons makes a mistake they sit him down and coach him. It will make him better next year and beyond. The same is true of Woodbury...though we do need his size in there but are able to develop him as well. I don't think there's any chance we could have redshirted Meyer either of the last 2 years. Again, this is a good thing for Meyer and the program.

HAHAHA!!!! How can people evaluate Fran's recruiting on 2 kids 3/4 of the way through their freshmen year??? It's not fair to Fran or Ingram or Clemmons. They are freshmen, give them some time to develop.

TheNuge wanted those Harrison Barnes juco types like he's said so many times before, what don't you understand?

Not many teams can find a true freshman to walk on campus and be the go to guy. Those types of guys are a tough get. Most will have to develop into that scorer / go to guy.

Two of five freshmen recruits are starting. Another is redshirting. A fourth is getting decent playing time. And you are saying Fran 'misevaluated' the recruits? OMG!!!

I could not disagree more with this statement! Sapp wasn't brought in to be a scorer. He was brought in to be a back up to Gessell. And Ingram missed the summer league and valuable time because he had to straighten up some acacemic issues. If you're claiming Fran 'missed' on recruiting based on those two players (and I can only assume you are because they are the only ones mentioned) than you need to re-evaluate. If Fran missed, it was that he should have redshirted Ingram.

Very few players can come into the college game and be a game changer. Those that can, don't go to Iowa. They go to Kentucky or Duke. It takes time for players to develop. It wouldn't surprise me to see JO become that go to guy next year. (Note: I'm not saying he will .. just that it wouldn't surprise me.)

No .. Fran is doing just fine on the recruiting trail.

GO HAWKS!!!

If May's back issues had reared their ugly head we would have needed Ingram. I suspect that may be a reason he wasn't redshirted...nothing to support this other than my own suspicions. May being 100% and playing so well eliminates any chance of Ingram getting on the floor.

It's so stupid to have threads about recruits!

Panther says he doesn't understand why Iowa fans get so excited about Jok because he lacks major offers. He completely dismisses any understanding of the major injuries he had during his prime recruiting years in HS.

Panther says he doesn't understand why Iowa fans get so excited about Jok because he lacks major offers. He completely dismisses any understanding of the major injuries he had during his prime recruiting years in HS.

It's not that Kentucky doesn't need to waste time recruiting an injured player, its just that Jok sucks.

I don't think he's that player right now. If he continues to regain the athleticism that once had him rated as the top player in his class, that could change. But right now, he'd still provide a much better shooter from the outside than anyone we currently have. That alone could have made a big difference in several games this year.

He is absolutely that player right now....... at the high school level. The million dollar question will be how that translates at the Big-10 level. There have been several games this year where he has simply taken over, Valley's 2nd game vs. Urbandale was a great example. For most of the game he's playing within the offense and not doing a lot until they find themselves down by double digits late (I think 12 if I recall). At that point he shifted to demanding the ball on the out of bounds and completely taking over, I think within 2-3 minutes Valley had resumed the lead. Can he single handedly do that as a Fresman in college? Likely not, but I think you'll be surprised by what he can do when he's pushed/driven.

Latest posts