Perspectives

chinahawk

I understand how everyone is upset. Some are playing the blame game, some are sticking up for the coaches, some are saying its lack of execution. We had big expectations for this season and we have fallen very short of the goal. The only thing that bothers me is when the older Hawkeyes come on here and say they remember the 1970's when just a bowl game was a dream and goal and say how we are still winning. I get what they are trying to say but some of us weren't even thought about in the 1970's and when we are getting to the capital one bowl year in and year out, we are bound to have higher expectations and lofty goals. this year we had them and have failed. Why shouldnt we think we can make the NC game? Why should we be happy with the Cap One or Outback bowl every year? Maybe its just me though. whats everyone else think

I agree.. trying to explain the mediocrity of today with stories of mediocrity from years ago only states that you accept mediocrity. I wont accept it - no fan should.

We are IOWA.. we are, if the B10 is the Big 2 and the little 9... then gosh darn it.. we are one of the Big 2! Now act like it and play like it.

I think you're exactly right that just because Iowa football sucked before Hayden Fry doesn't mean that we can't have high expectations.

But I also think that just because a team falls short in a given season doesn't mean it has to change philosophy or personnel, especially when that philosophy and personnel has provided the foundation for long-term success. You can have high expectations and be disappointed when they aren't fulfilled without thinking that we need to overhaul the entire system.

I get a lot of my perspective from being good friends with hardcore Nebraska fan and being married to a Florida State alum. Both of those schools had sustained success before they won national titles, but they also had periods of time when they were knocked for not being able to get to the next level. Bobby Bowden couldn't beat Florida or Miami. Tom Osborne chocked in big games. They stayed the course, kept doing what they did well, and as a pair they dominated college football in the 90s. You could tell a similar story about Coach sweater vest over in Columbus.

I realize that losing to Florida on a series of missed field goals is different than losing to Northwestern, but it was also a very different era in college football with much less parity. Regardless, there are only about 10-15 consistently good major college football coaches, and we've got one of them. You can't gloss over a disappointing season, and I hope we don't have another one for awhile. But based on Ferentz's history here I am frankly not that concerned about it in regards to long-term success. We will have other opportunities to be great-- yes, Rose Bowl and/or national-championship caliber great-- because we develop talent as well as anyone and we are competitive with every team we play, game in and game out.

I think you're exactly right that just because Iowa football sucked before Hayden Fry doesn't mean that we can't have high expectations.

But I also think that just because a team falls short in a given season doesn't mean it has to change philosophy or personnel, especially when that philosophy and personnel has provided the foundation for long-term success. You can have high expectations and be disappointed when they aren't fulfilled without thinking that we need to overhaul the entire system.

I get a lot of my perspective from being good friends with hardcore Nebraska fan and being married to a Florida State alum. Both of those schools had sustained success before they won national titles, but they also had periods of time when they were knocked for not being able to get to the next level. Bobby Bowden couldn't beat Florida or Miami. Tom Osborne chocked in big games. They stayed the course, kept doing what they did well, and as a pair they dominated college football in the 90s. You could tell a similar story about Coach sweater vest over in Columbus.

I realize that losing to Florida on a series of missed field goals is different than losing to Northwestern, but it was also a very different era in college football with much less parity. Regardless, there are only about 10-15 consistently good major college football coaches, and we've got one of them. You can't gloss over a disappointing season, and I hope we don't have another one for awhile. But based on Ferentz's history here I am frankly not that concerned about it in regards to long-term success. We will have other opportunities to be great-- yes, Rose Bowl and/or national-championship caliber great-- because we develop talent as well as anyone and we are competitive with every team we play, game in and game out.

I only want to see us make some changes in our gameplans against teams like Northwestern, which have success against the way we do things. And that certainly isn't just because of yesterday for me.

One line sticks out in my mind from a Keeler article. Quite frankly it's the one intelligent thing I've seen him write. After the 2006 loss to Northwestern (I can still vividly picture the photo of Tate picking himself up off the turf under the headline "STATE OF DISBELIEF"), he wrote:

"The Hawkeyes' defense is characterized by forcing teams to dink and dunk their way down the field. But the Indiana's and Northwestern's of the world want to dink and dunk."

"....I get a lot of my perspective from being good friends with hardcore Nebraska fan and being married to a Florida State alum. Both of those schools had sustained success before they won national titles, but they also had periods of time when they were knocked for not being able to get to the next level. Bobby Bowden couldn't beat Florida or Miami. Tom Osborne chocked in big games. They stayed the course, kept doing what they did well, and as a pair they dominated college football in the 90s. You could tell a similar story about Coach sweater vest over in Columbus..."

You fail to recognize that Tom Osborne choked in big games... but he made it to a number of big games. Tom Osborne did not 'stay the course' he completely transformed his defense to compete with the teams that he struggled with.. the result? Back to back Natl Championships!

I know Iowa will never play for the national title, I just know we will never get there. We always have a good team about every 4 or 5 years that flirt with possibly being good, but we always choke in big games.

I am comfortable with losing to a wisky, OSU, MSU, and Penn State. What I am not okay with is losing to Indiana and Northwestern who have no right beating us. We are the much better football team, but each time we play them we fall flat on our faces. All it takes is a little change in the scheme or possibly changing something completly. If you don't have success against a team you have to change something, if you keep doing the same thing you are gonna continue to get beat.

Iowa better learn how to defend the spread, out of our division 4 teams run the spread, plus our "Rival" runs the spread. We could be in BIG trouble in future years!

Not to mention that Tressel won a NC in Year 2. Their fans had gotten antsy for a few years when they weren't winning the big games, but they also had 3 Fiesta Bowl wins (NC, 2003, 2005) in his first 5 years.

You fail to recognize that Tom Osborne choked in big games... but he made it to a number of big games. Tom Osborne did not 'stay the course' he completely transformed his defense to compete with the teams that he struggled with.. the result? Back to back Natl Championships!

The number one complaint I remember hearing is that you couldn't win with the option in the modern era of college football. Everyone was so freaking sure about that one. I realize the situations are not exactly the same, and yes, Osborne was in position to play for a NT in the Orange Bowl. But the certainty with which people proclaim that "Ferentz will never make it to the next level" reminds me of the certainty with which Bowden and Osborne were criticized.

I know Iowa will never play for the national title, I just know we will never get there. We always have a good team about every 4 or 5 years that flirt with possibly being good, but we always choke in big games.

I am just absolutely speechless at this.

Still don't know how to respond. I think I'm done with this board for awhile. There's a difference between healthy skepticism and cheap cynicism, and people have gone so far too one end that it's veering into nutso territory. The name of the thread is "Perspective." If you don't have any, post on a different one.

I am just absolutely speechless at this.

Still don't know how to respond. I think I'm done with this board for awhile. There's a difference between healthy skepticism and cheap cynicism, and people have gone so far too one end that it's veering into nutso territory. The name of the thread is "Perspective." If you don't have any, post on a different one.

Iowa State in 2002
Wisky 2010
ASU 2004
OSU 2009
NW 2009

Its not cheap cynicism, its just plain facts! We always blow 1 game every year!

Iowa State in 2002
Wisky 2010
ASU 2004
OSU 2009
NW 2009

Its not cheap cynicism, its just plain facts! We always blow 1 game every year!

How can you say the OSU from last year was a blown game!!! Where is the 1 game from each year?

Here is some perspective. Look at Texas...ranked #5 preseason and is now 4-6. They need to win out just to become bowl eligble....this after playing in the NC game last year.

1999:NWestern
2000:Minnesota
2001:Michigan, Wisconsin, ISU
2002:ISU
2003:Mich. St, OSU
2004:ASU
2005:Michigan, NWestern, ISU
2006:NWestern
2007: WMichigan
2008:NWestern, MSU, Pitt
2009:OSU
2010: Arizona, Wisky, NWestern
Lesson: in the KF era there will always be games in which we don't show up, had no business losing, and yet fans expect a different outcome? Iowa is what it is, good once in a while, but the Outback is the ceiling, with an occasional run at the BCS.

Latest posts