Percy Gibson?

azhawkphan

With the commitment of Olaseni, does Fran & co. take Gibson as well or do they wait to see if a viable PG presents itself? I have not seen much about Gibson since Olaseni committed and not sure how interested he is in the Hawks. But 6'8''/6'9'' post players with skill don't grow on trees, but it looks like a backup PG is a bigger need.

I think Iowa is done with bigs this time around unlees FM is thinking Woodbury or another of his targets is not going to be there in Nov.
He has done a good job thus far and the PG is the only place that the plan appears to not be in place as of now. The way I understand things at this point in time he has 4 rides available for 2012 with Meyer on board and a good chance for Woodbury and Gesell leaving the one ride he wanted to fill with a PG that would bridge the team from BC into the 4 yr guys you build your program around.
The question is how hard is he going to chase that Juco guy for 2011 or is he confident enough that Gesell has the cajones to take on baptisim by fire in the Big 10. I think he wants Gesell as plan A but I think he has A1,A2 also in mind but they are of similar caliber because that is what he wants. If he gets Gesell or that level PG verballed he will be willing to take a 2,3 guy that has at least some handles to pick up where AH leaves off.

I think Iowa is done with bigs this time around unlees FM is thinking Woodbury or another of his targets is not going to be there in Nov.
He has done a good job thus far and the PG is the only place that the plan appears to not be in place as of now. The way I understand things at this point in time he has 4 rides available for 2012 with Meyer on board and a good chance for Woodbury and Gesell leaving the one ride he wanted to fill with a PG that would bridge the team from BC into the 4 yr guys you build your program around.
The question is how hard is he going to chase that Juco guy for 2011 or is he confident enough that Gesell has the cajones to take on baptisim by fire in the Big 10. I think he wants Gesell as plan A but I think he has A1,A2 also in mind but they are of similar caliber because that is what he wants. If he gets Gesell or that level PG verballed he will be willing to take a 2,3 guy that has at least some handles to pick up where AH leaves off.

While I agree with this, Gibson may be good enough to not turn down for this year and go for Gessell, Woodbury, Meyer and a JUCO PG next year. I think that's right isn't it? We have 4 in 2012 without banking one this year. (Gatens,Archie, Cartwright, Brommer).

While I agree with this, Gibson may be good enough to not turn down for this year and go for Gessell, Woodbury, Meyer and a JUCO PG next year. I think that's right isn't it? We have 4 in 2012 without banking one this year. (Gatens,Archie, Cartwright, Brommer).

I've heard that Gibson didn't show up to a try out for several coaches in Detroit, including Francis- not longer on the radar.

Also, have you forgotten Niang? With Olaseni and Meyer in the fold at center, Niang might be a more valuable piece than Woodbury.

How about a JC PG this year- see Josh Mason.

I trust that Fran has a plan: You have to believe that Woodbury and Gessel are keeping track of future Hawkeyes and more importantly the opportunity of playing time, if we sign too many point guards and post players, it may persuade them to look elsewhere for immediate playing time, just guessing, but you have to think this factors in their thinking

The thing with Gibson is he's a 4/5. Can play both. Now next year as of now we have Basabe as our legit 4, White as a 3 first, 4 second, and Olaseni as the only 5 returning. Add Meyer and we have a fairly young, shallow group. If Gibson comes in this year it will give us an experienced option, likely off the bench, but for a lot of minutes. Also he will push Mel for time, only making them both better. I say if FM feels good about the pg spot, go hard after Gibson and take him. Otherwise shoot a ready pg or save it. We can still bring in a JC guard next year as well as a true fresh and still have room for Woodbury or another slasher/wing guy.

Latest posts