Penn State lost to officiating last night

WindsorHawk

Did anyone else watch the game? Penn State was up 2 with about 16 seconds to go and Stevens (14-17 from the line) got hacked driving to the basket. The officials ruled the ball out of bounds off Penn State. The replay clearly shows the ball went off Penn State. The replay also clearly shows the Penn State player was hacked...which I realize can't be reviewed. But it could be seen.

So Edwards drives the length of the floor and makes an uncontested layup on a moving screen by Haarms...boxing out the defender as if rebounding a missed shot. Considering what the officials just saw on the review it's easy to (correctly) call the moving screen and at least partially offset the missed call on the other end.

I realize this doesn't really impact anything. Purdue is going to finish in the top 4 and Penn State is going to finish at or near the bottom of the conference. But it was frustrating. And it also gives some perspective to our loss at Minnesota. Purdue is hot. Penn State has zero conference wins. And Purdue likely should have lost to Penn State last night.

Side Note - Purdue beat Michigan State in their previous game. I wonder what the overall conference record is for teams the game after they play Michigan State.

The officiating was brutal at the end of that game last night. The hack on the arm was obvious.

Just waiting for the refs to give Tom Brady the benefit of some ridiculous call like roughing to passer in the Super Bowl so the Patriots can win.

Game after Michigan State game...4-6 with 2 OT wins by Purdue, an Iowa win over Iowa State and a Northwestern win by 2 (on their home court) over Illinois

Michigan 0-0
Purdue 2-0...both games went to OT
Maryland 0-1...lost to Illinois
Wisconsin 0-0
Minnesota 0-0
Iowa 1-1...beat Iowa State and lost to Minnesota
Rutgers 0-1...lost to Wisconsin
Ohio State 0-1...lost to Rutgers
Nebraska 0-1...lost to Rutgers
Indiana 0-0
Northwestern 1-0...beat Ilinois (by 2)
Illinois 0-0
Penn State 0-1...lost to Iowa

Edit - It looks like the Michigan State Effect helped Rutgers get 2 of their 4 wins and helped Illinois upset Maryland. I'm starting to understand why we struggled against Minnesota...and becoming even more optimistic moving forward.

Last edited:
Iowa struggled at Minnesota because it was beyond awful on defense.

As Fran said yesterday, you don't give up 55 points in a half and expect to win, kind of like giving up 51 points in the second half against Michigan State last week.

This team looked disinterested in playing defense at Minnesota for all but about five minutes.

Keep doing that and it will continue to lose.

Edit - It looks like the Michigan State Effect helped Rutgers get 2 of their 4 wins and helped Illinois upset Maryland. I'm starting to understand why we struggled against Minnesota...and becoming even more optimistic moving forward.
Looks like there might be some merit to it.

In Iowa's case: I thought the Illinois game was even more physical than the MSU game.
And then Minnesota was the 3rd game in 7 days.

It's not an excuse for how Iowa played; it's an observation. Just like one could make an observation about MSU's play the last couple of games in context of their schedule.

Game after Michigan State game...4-6 with 2 OT wins by Purdue, an Iowa win over Iowa State and a Northwestern win by 2 (on their home court) over Illinois

Michigan 0-0
Purdue 2-0...both games went to OT
Maryland 0-1...lost to Illinois
Wisconsin 0-0
Minnesota 0-0
Iowa 1-1...beat Iowa State and lost to Minnesota
Rutgers 0-1...lost to Wisconsin
Ohio State 0-1...lost to Rutgers
Nebraska 0-1...lost to Rutgers
Indiana 0-0
Northwestern 1-0...beat Ilinois (by 2)
Illinois 0-0
Penn State 0-1...lost to Iowa

Lmao!! Your starting to understand why we struggled at Minnesota.. wow!! Now I understand why I question your daily optimism :cool:

The hack on Stevens brought back memories of the fateful Jim Bain game (also vs Purdue) in 1982. Kenny Arnold was fouled driving to basket but the officials said ball out bounds (at least it was off Purdue). Iowa then reset and you know the rest. Somewhere in the scrum of bodies around the basket, Bain managed to single out Kevin Boyle for committing a foul on the immortal Dan Palombizio. Boyle wasn't within ten feet of Palombizio. Purdue was in the bonus, so it meant one and one for the win with no time left. Palombizio only needed the front end. Iowa completed the B1G season losing to Minnesota in triple overtime, blowing a huge second half lead against Illinois because they went to their delay game too early, and losing to Purdue in the fashion just mentioned.

That game did leave a legacy. Bain had a plane to catch to officiate a big eight conference tournament game in Kansas City that evening. He did not want Iowa Purdue to go overtime. A rule was passed in the offseason stating officials could work only one game in a twenty four hour period.

"Hang Jim Bain" shirts became popular around Iowa City. Bain evenutally sued successfully for defamation of character which kiboshed further manufacturing of the shirts. If someone has one of those shirts today it would be a collector's item for sure.

Iowa struggled at Minnesota because it was beyond awful on defense.

As Fran said yesterday, you don't give up 55 points in a half and expect to win, kind of like giving up 51 points in the second half against Michigan State last week.

This team looked disinterested in playing defense at Minnesota for all but about five minutes.

Keep doing that and it will continue to lose.
I agree with everything you just said. I'm saying the cause of everything you just said may be the Michigan State Effect.

I have heard announcers during games say you can't let Michigan State beat you twice. Iowa is hardly the only team that turned around and played poorly in their next game.

Last edited:
The hack on Stevens brought back memories of the fateful Jim Bain game (also vs Purdue) in 1982. Kenny Arnold was fouled driving to basket but the officials said ball out bounds (at least it was off Purdue). Iowa then reset and you know the rest. Somewhere in the scrum of bodies around the basket, Bain managed to single out Kevin Boyle for committing a foul on the immortal Dan Palombizio. Boyle wasn't within ten feet of Palombizio. Purdue was in the bonus, so it meant one and one for the win with no time left. Palombizio only needed the front end. Iowa completed the B1G season losing to Minnesota in triple overtime, blowing a huge second half lead against Illinois because they went to their delay game too early, and losing to Purdue in the fashion just mentioned.

That game did leave a legacy. Bain had a plane to catch to officiate a big eight conference tournament game in Kansas City that evening. He did not want Iowa Purdue to go overtime. A rule was passed in the offseason stating officials could work only one game in a twenty four hour period.

"Hang Jim Bain" shirts became popular around Iowa City. Bain evenutally sued successfully for defamation of character which kiboshed further manufacturing of the shirts. If someone has one of those shirts today it would be a collector's item for sure.
My dad never swore. We used "Bain" as a cuss word around the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
stripes out of position. no way he could have seen the grab from where he was. that's just bad/lazy officiating.

I agree with everything you just said. I'm saying the cause of everything you just said may be the Michigan State Effect.

I have heard announcers during games you can't let Michigan State beat you twice. Iowa is hardly the only team that turned around and played poorly in their next game.

I agree. Of course we lost because of bad defense. The question is, did we play bad defense due to it being the game after MSU.

Watkins not being in the game at the end of regulation was a huge factor as well. He was still recovering from a midcourt collision that dazed him. He could have blocked or altered Edwards' game tying shot.

I get so tired of officials choking late in games. And that's exactly what it is, a choke job. The moment is too big for them and they choke. Some players freeze up and can't make a simple play when the pressure is on, and some officials freeze up and can't make a simple call when the pressure's on. That hack was a simple call and the refs were deer in headlights. The illegal screen was a simple call that damn near could have been a flagorant hook and hold too. More deer in headlights.

I get so tired of officials choking late in games. And that's exactly what it is, a choke job. The moment is too big for them and they choke. Some players freeze up and can't make a simple play when the pressure is on, and some officials freeze up and can't make a simple call when the pressure's on. That hack was a simple call and the refs were deer in headlights. The illegal screen was a simple call that damn near could have been a flagorant hook and hold too. More deer in headlights.
Maybe Joe West should become a basketball official.:)

I agree. Of course we lost because of bad defense. The question is, did we play bad defense due to it being the game after MSU.

We will find out.

Iowa played poorly on D in the second half against MSU. No shame in that, and the Spartans had something to do with it, but Iowa looked defeated and unenergized when they were making their run. Not a lot of fight on that end, where it takes some grit.

The Big Ten also features a lot of really strong coaches and staffs that adjust as the season goes on.

Beilein talked about scouting Iowa, some quotes I used in my preview. Iowa was benefitting from changing defenses and giving new looks earlier in the season. Those alignments are on film now and installed in opponents' prep.

It's up to Iowa to readjust and strategize. Part of the defensive success earlier this season was the element of surprise.

Fran made a mistake playing man to man at the outset against Minnesota. That team took the fewest threes and shot a poor percentage from the outside. Iowa played right into its hands. And the Gophers looked prepared and shredded all of the different looks they got until they became passive in protecting the lead late against the trap.

Looks like there might be some merit to it.

In Iowa's case: I thought the Illinois game was even more physical than the MSU game.
And then Minnesota was the 3rd game in 7 days.

It's not an excuse for how Iowa played; it's an observation. Just like one could make an observation about MSU's play the last couple of games in context of their schedule.
MSU's loss...3rd game in 6 days.

Latest posts