Penn State Gets Hammer: Worse than Death Penalty?

By 2020, PSU will be competitive.
These are weak, short term sanctions.

Two years from now, PSU can sell playing time & starting jobs to high school kids in front of 100k fans and dreams of bowl games and championships. Kids are gonna eat that up.

LOL that this is worse than the death penalty.

You really think PSU is going to be selling out the stadium in 2020?

The kids they will be recruiting then will live in a world when PSU was a 2-10 punching bag their entire football lives.

Players can immediately transfer without having to sit out a year and 'receiving' schools can go over the 85 scholarship limit this year to bring them into their programs.

HELLO SEC!

What does the NCAA and Big Ten actions say about the status of college football? One could argue that Pennsylvania State University behaved in the manner it did to compete in a corrupt system of values. The punishment dished out by the NCAA was based on the institution's failure to take appropriate actions because of the negative impact on the football program.

The NCAA and the college presidents still have a problem with a value system that is a win at all cost environment. It isn't just football and includes basketball. While the Penn State story is the most egregious of recent scandals; those at USC, Ohio State, etc, speak to a need to address the culture of corruption in the background of major college sports.

Almost weekly we read stories of serious misbehavior by major college sports athletes. In Iowa, (Iowa, ISU, UNI) we have had our share of bad characters that disgraced the institutions. When people ignore bad character to take a chance on granting a scholarship to be competitive in sports there is something wrong. The NCAA must look at some serious changes.

By 2020, PSU will be competitive.
These are weak, short term sanctions.

Two years from now, PSU can sell playing time & starting jobs to high school kids in front of 100k fans and dreams of bowl games and championships. Kids are gonna eat that up.

LOL that this is worse than the death penalty.

I don't think you're doing a very good job thinking this through....

PSU will be limited to 65 scholarship players for the next 4 years. That's 20 fewer scholarship players than everyone else.

Then, it will take them an additional 2 years to get back up to 85 scholarship players because you cant sign more than 25 per year in the Big 10. So right there, that's going to be 6 years of reduced scholarships compared to everyone else. Then, it will be another 2 years before they are able to purge the "lesser" players that are still on scholarship from the last 2 years of the 4 year scholarship limitation.

So all told, we are looking at 8 years of probably 2-3 wins per year, which means they won't be able to start being competitive again until probably 2020.

A recruit in 2020 will have been born in 2002. Normal age for a boy to start paying serious attention to a college football team is about age 8-10. That means that a recruit in 2020, born in 2002, will start paying attention in 2010-2012. From that point until that kid is 18, PSU will be the worst team in the Big 10 for the eight years that that kid has been following college football. You really think he's just going to have no problem committing to a school that for his entire college football fandom has been the worst team in the Big 10?

You need to think a little farther than the end of your nose.

Guess my question is, if what PSU did wasn't enough to get the death penalty - then WHAT IS?

Penn State probably saved themselves from suspension of play by cooperating so fully over the past six months. They've at least given the appearance that they want to make a huge change in their priorities in the coming years. And if it's all for show, I think the penalties that have been announced will make it sink in pretty quickly. Basically, Penn State is going to find out what it's like to be a MAC school. Hopefully, they will discover that football is still a lot of fun, and a great way to spend a fall Saturday-- but that it's a shaky foundation for an entire university to be built on.

I don't think you're doing a very good job thinking this through....

PSU will be limited to 65 scholarship players for the next 4 years. That's 20 fewer scholarship players than everyone else.

Then, it will take them an additional 2 years to get back up to 85 scholarship players because you cant sign more than 25 per year in the Big 10. So right there, that's going to be 6 years of reduced scholarships compared to everyone else. Then, it will be another 2 years before they are able to purge the "lesser" players that are still on scholarship from the last 2 years of the 4 year scholarship limitation.

So all told, we are looking at 8 years of probably 2-3 wins per year, which means they won't be able to start being competitive again until probably 2020.

A recruit in 2020 will have been born in 2002. Normal age for a boy to start paying serious attention to a college football team is about age 8-10. That means that a recruit in 2020, born in 2002, will start paying attention in 2010-2012. From that point until that kid is 18, PSU will be the worst team in the Big 10 for the eight years that that kid has been following college football. You really think he's just going to have no problem committing to a school that for his entire college football fandom has been the worst team in the Big 10?

You need to think a little farther than the end of your nose.

You said the same as I did...that they can be competitive in 2020.
But you think you "corrected" me.
LMAO

in this case, joke's on you. it will play out.

wait until they start getting injuries, defections, players who don't pan out, etc.

i don't know what you expect USC to be, but they won't be anything like what they've been in the last ten years.

They are preseason #1.

I think they're doing ok.
LOL

Guess my question is, if what PSU did wasn't enough to get the death penalty - then WHAT IS?

There are a couple of things you have to remember about SMU.

First, the issues with SMU existed not only inside the athletic department, but outside of it. The NCAA really had no choice but to shut down the football program because the athletic department wasn't even running the football program, the boosters were. In the PSU instance, the issues were related strictly inside the athletic department.

Second, SMU basically dared the NCAA to do something....thinking they didn't have the guts. They pretty much flaunted what they were doing, even after having been warned repeatedly. PSU, on the other hand, after having found out what happened, fired their long time head coach, AD, VP and President. They also paid millions of dollars to have an outside group come in and investigate them and once the investigation was complete, accepted all the findings without question.

You said the same as I did...that they can be competitive in 2020.
But you think you "corrected" me.
LMAO

You didn't listen at all....typical.

I said the first chance they have the OPPORTUNITY to be competitive is 2020 and then showed how that is most likely not going to happen.

You also stated that a recruit is going to jump at the chance to go to PSU once the sanctions are over. I corrected you on that by showing how PSU is going to look to a recruit in 2020.

You don't think very critically, do you?

There are a couple of things you have to remember about SMU.

First, the issues with SMU existed not only inside the athletic department, but outside of it. The NCAA really had no choice but to shut down the football program because the athletic department wasn't even running the football program, the boosters were. In the PSU instance, the issues were related strictly inside the athletic department.

Second, SMU basically dared the NCAA to do something....thinking they didn't have the guts. They pretty much flaunted what they were doing, even after having been warned repeatedly. PSU, on the other hand, after having found out what happened, fired their long time head coach, AD, VP and President. They also paid millions of dollars to have an outside group come in and investigate them and once the investigation was complete, accepted all the findings without question.

If this went up to the University VP and President, then it wasn't strictly inside the athletic department, correct? In this case it seems that the corruption spilled over into the highest ranks of the University's execs.

But point taken on SMU. PSU certainly must have helped it's own case by being cooperative and by being more proactive in firing Paterno, the AD, VP and President.

If this went up to the University VP and President, then it wasn't strictly inside the athletic department, correct? In this case it seems that the corruption spilled over into the highest ranks of the University's execs.

But point taken on SMU. PSU certainly must have helped it's own case by being cooperative and by being more proactive in firing Paterno, the AD, VP and President.

Good catch....I should have said inside the UNIVERSITY vs. inside the athletic department.

You didn't listen at all....typical.

I said the first chance they have the OPPORTUNITY to be competitive is 2020 and then showed how that is most likely not going to happen.

You also stated that a recruit is going to jump at the chance to go to PSU once the sanctions are over. I corrected you on that by showing how PSU is going to look to a recruit in 2020.

You don't think very critically, do you?

LOL @ the kids not going to PSU.

Latest posts