Penn State Black/Gold Out

mattweiss

Does anyone have a link to the "plan" for the Penn state game to make the stadium alternating Black and Gold sections? I thought that I saw it posted on HN at one time. Thanks in advance!

If they want to have any chance of this working, they will have to send that information out a bunch of times. Also, it wouldn't hurt to print up a bunch of cheap t-shirts to hand out.

If it happens, it will be freaking insanely awesome. That being said, I have serious doubts it can be pulled off.

Next thing you know you will be changing the color of your turf. Say it aint so.

JTOBZADXSZDMZKD.20070920220530.jpg

If they want to have any chance of this working, they will have to send that information out a bunch of times. Also, it wouldn't hurt to print up a bunch of cheap t-shirts to hand out.

If it happens, it will be freaking insanely awesome. That being said, I have serious doubts it can be pulled off.

I agree the best way to pull this off is for the program to offer free shirts or at least some really cheap ones that can be bought at the entrance.

Hate to see a great idea get wasted because of poor execution.

No way that gets pulled off. The only way it will work is if the University puts free t-shirts on the seats and everyone wears them. I know I will have my gold on for my section, but I highly doubt it will work.

Everytime Iowa tries to do something like this, it always fails. I remember the black out against Michigan a few years ago. There was so much yellow still in the stands, it didn't look very good at all.

No way that gets pulled off. The only way it will work is if the University puts free t-shirts on the seats and everyone wears them. I know I will have my gold on for my section, but I highly doubt it will work.

Everytime Iowa tries to do something like this, it always fails. I remember the black out against Michigan a few years ago. There was so much yellow still in the stands, it didn't look very good at all.

Agree. It is going to look no different than any other game. Partly because scalpers won't know which section they are in until it is too late and partly because many fans are too oblivious to actually look at their seat ahead of time and plan accordingly.

I was at the Black out game and was very disappointed with many of my fellow Iowa fans. I guess once it gets a bit colder, people just wear whatever. I saw plenty of Iowa fans wearing red ski jackets or brown "farmer" coats. Pathetic.

When the chart put out by UI Sports Marketing has the disclaimer at the bottom that reads "They said it couldn't be done, but we're going to try it anyway!"...it makes me think this will be a complete flop.

The only way this WILL work is to have the shirts on the seats in your section, but I see they are marketing some stupid t-shirt thru Bravo Sports that costs $17.99 instead.

Iowa fans are great, but too many have the attitude of "I'm wearing what I want" when things like this are planned, when if everyone just went along with it the results would be pretty cool.

Agree. It is going to look no different than any other game. Partly because scalpers won't know which section they are in until it is too late and partly because many fans are too oblivious to actually look at their seat ahead of time and plan accordingly.

I was at the Black out game and was very disappointed with many of my fellow Iowa fans. I guess once it gets a bit colder, people just wear whatever. I saw plenty of Iowa fans wearing red ski jackets or brown "farmer" coats. Pathetic.

Well this game is the first Saturday in October, so hopefully the weather will be pretty nice. If that happens, our chances of pulling this off increase. It shouldn't be hard to get the students to participate, but we're just wearing black.

We've still got 2 and a half weeks to get the word out, and it's printed on the tickets that it's black and gold. I just hope it works, because it would be really cool.

P.S.- I just sent an e-mail to Barta, and I would suggest that the rest of you do the same if you have the chance. If they get enough feedback suggesting either setting shirts out or handing them out at the gates, they might just do it.

Last edited:
I think it will be about 95% correct, and I DON'T think the 5% will ruin it. It's gonn be awesome.

It didn't help that the first blackout was attempted for an 1100 AM kick. The stands were black, but the visual was lost in the bright sunshine.

Now last years blackout.... was fantastic.

In my humble opinion, to address the "general admission" status of the student section, the entire south endzone should've been black, the entire north endzone should've been gold, and section 101 should've also been gold to round it all off.

Have to disagree with ya on the Michigan Blackout last year. 97 percent of the stadium was wearing black. I just went back and looked at some of the pictures I took. I think this can definitely be pulled off. It is not rocket science. Yes, you will have your fans who show up in red Iowa shirts, but I think if advertised properly this can work.

What color would someone in the North Bleachers, Row E wear? Are those the bleachers on field level right behind the goal posts? If so, I assume they would wear Black (I think these bleachers are right in front of Sect 135?)?

Someone help me here. I am trying to clarify for a friend. I have never sat in those bleachers before. The U of I should have included that on the seating chart.

best way for these to work is if it is marketed right. It needs to be on the hawkeye sports.com main page somewhere until gametime. the PA should announce it a couple times at the game against Ball State, and just make sure you tell your friends and anyone you see so everyone knows about it. it would look sweet if it can be accomplished