Penn State 4th Downs

HawkeyeHypnosis

themorningcall.com: Nittany Lines Blog

From article:

Penn State ranks second in the FBS in fourth-down attempts (20) and conversions (13) after leading the nation in*both categories before the bye week.

How much of a role will this play on Sat? Rare to play a team that goes for it that much on 4th. Obviously the D will have to step up and make some plays.

themorningcall.com: Nittany Lines Blog

From article:

Penn State ranks second in the FBS in fourth-down attempts (20) and conversions (13) after leading the nation in*both categories before the bye week.

How much of a role will this play on Sat? Rare to play a team that goes for it that much on 4th. Obviously the D will have to step up and make some plays.

I think it will be a big factor in this game. typically on third down you play to the yardage meaning if you have 3rd and 8 you are comfortable giving up a 5 yard pass. Depending where we are on the field that won't be the case against PSU. Any fourth and short inside the 40 will result in PSU going for it....thus you don't want to turn a third and long into a fourth and short. You need a different mindset in this game.

I think it will be a big factor in this game. typically on third down you play to the yardage meaning if you have 3rd and 8 you are comfortable giving up a 5 yard pass. Depending where we are on the field that won't be the case against PSU. Any fourth and short inside the 40 will result in PSU going for it....thus you don't want to turn a third and long into a fourth and short. You need a different mindset in this game.

I respectfully disagree. If Iowa plays 3rd and long differently, we would be transferring risk onto our team...letting them have a better chance of converting on 3rd down itself.

I believe Iowa should do what it takes to put them in 4th down situations (long or short) and then make them shoulder all the risk of going for it.

PSU is going for it on 4th downs because they don't have a kicking game. I think a missed PAT or FG could be the difference in this game. What we want is to stop them and setup 4th and long beyond the 30 yard line. Putting them in position to have to kick a long FG is a game winner for Iowa.

Getting pressure on McGloin has to be a priority. LTP and Cooper are going to have to get in the position to get tips and/or ints, QB hurries and sacks. Cooper could have a breakout game if he makes the most of his time on the field. It's going to take discipline to not over pursue and let them convert 3rd and long into 4th and short or 1st downs.

I think it's a great stategy against a defense like Iowa's. We don't give up big plays and try to make teams convert a lot of first downs to score on us. If they give themselves an extra down to work with, it increases their chances of success greatly.

I think the going for it on fourth factor is a huge contributor to us giving up so many late leads over the years. It's a great approach to attacking our defensive strategy.

Teams should have been doing it as a regular strategy for years, but no one has the balls to risk turning it over. In the long run the offense team is better off going for it in most situations.

Oh no, I smell fake punt coming. Plz KF, don't fall asleep at the wheel! (night game ya' know)

Was just going to post this. I was thinking exactly the same thing. We can't make it through the entire season without someone successfully pulling off a fake punt.

It is nice to see this D-line getting their hands up...
Saw a lot of missed opportunites last year.

Was just going to post this. I was thinking exactly the same thing. We can't make it through the entire season without someone successfully pulling off a fake punt.

Please list all the successful punts we've allowed over the last decade.

I think it's a great stategy against a defense like Iowa's. We don't give up big plays and try to make teams convert a lot of first downs to score on us. If they give themselves an extra down to work with, it increases their chances of success greatly.

I think the going for it on fourth factor is a huge contributor to us giving up so many late leads over the years. It's a great approach to attacking our defensive strategy.

Teams should have been doing it as a regular strategy for years, but no one has the balls to risk turning it over. In the long run the offense team is better off going for it in most situations.

Yes, I fear that we will give up a lot of 4th and 2 or 3's on our side of the field,allowing PSU to stay on the field and wear down our defense.

I respectfully disagree. If Iowa plays 3rd and long differently, we would be transferring risk onto our team...letting them have a better chance of converting on 3rd down itself.

I believe Iowa should do what it takes to put them in 4th down situations (long or short) and then make them shoulder all the risk of going for it.

Interesting, but don't you think you should aggregate the risk of giving up the first down on either 3rd or 4th down in assessing the risk in your analysis?

PSU gets all 4 downs to get a 1st down. I think you need to factor in the likelihood of converting on 3rd down as well as the likelihood of going for it on 4th multiplied by the likelihood of success if they do go for it on 4th down.

Latest posts