Penn St to focus on academics...

Right now they do not have much choice. The stories coming out of Happy Valley are getting worse and worse they are trying to do whatever possible to save some kind of face.

I think this is a good idea. They should start with Paterno town. As an educator, I have never understood how a university would think it was a good idea to promote the fact that students were spending an entire semester like they were on tour with The Dead.

I think this is a good idea. They should start with Paterno town. As an educator, I have never understood how a university would think it was a good idea to promote the fact that students were spending an entire semester like they were on tour with The Dead.

Um the students in paternoville are still doing their school work while spending time there. So i dont see why theyd have to give that up.

Um, because it sends a bad message. Sorry, but there is a huge difference between doing your work and fully engaging your academics. Might as well just go to U of Phoenix if that is the education you want.

We may be seeing a death penalty like era on the horizon at Penn state. I don't think anybody out there will go near that job. In the end they will likely have no choice but to make Bradley the head coach and that will effectively destroy their recruiting. How many parents will send their kids to play at Penn state knowing the head coach was there while the scandal was taking place.

This is a bad idea.

Football whether anyone wants to admit it or not, is the reason that any of those alums go back to State College, PA. They walk across the campus, have a beer at their favorite old bar, eat at their favorite restaurant. They get nostalgic.

That is why they donate money to any part of the University. Because they go back. Because they still feel connected to it.

The number of major public schools who do not have an athletic team as the face of their University is maybe 2-3. Virginia, Maybe Cal? Even the best public schools: Michigan, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Illinois - no one first things of the academics.

As is often the case, the knee jerk reaction by the academics gets it wrong. One only need look two threads up to see that Penn State's football team is among the best performing schools academically.

And if it's "Paternoville" that's the issue, how do you explain all those blockheads at Duke that camp out a lot more than 6-7 times a year. Unless you can show me a direct correlation between kids that camp out for tickets and their academic performance...it's mere speculation.
I'd suggest that many of those kids are quite driven (they're not doing bongs and sleeping in til Noon) and perhaps MORE likely to perform well academically. If you're motivated and passionate enough to do that...you're probably a "do-er" in other areas. Though we have to tread lightly on that whole "competition and achievement" thing. It IS a college campus after all. Wouldn't want to become TOO successful or rich.

The problem is an "emperor-coach" that should have retired years ago. Penn State's academic reputation if fine.

We may be seeing a death penalty like era on the horizon at Penn state. I don't think anybody out there will go near that job. In the end they will likely have no choice but to make Bradley the head coach and that will effectively destroy their recruiting. How many parents will send their kids to play at Penn state knowing the head coach was there while the scandal was taking place.

There are plenty of qualified coaches who will take the job.

And if it's "Paternoville" that's the issue, how do you explain all those blockheads at Duke that camp out a lot more than 6-7 times a year. Unless you can show me a direct correlation between kids that camp out for tickets and their academic performance...it's mere speculation.
I'd suggest that many of those kids are quite driven (they're not doing bongs and sleeping in til Noon) and perhaps MORE likely to perform well academically. If you're motivated and passionate enough to do that...you're probably a "do-er" in other areas. Though we have to tread lightly on that whole "competition and achievement" thing. It IS a college campus after all. Wouldn't want to become TOO successful or rich.

And what would be the difference if these do-ers were only able to set up their camps after say 3pm on a Thursday? Would serve the same purpose and put academics first. It is a freaking gimmick that the school has put up with for decades, that centers athletics over academics. Bad idea for a serious academic institution.

And seriously, you think PSU has done any valid research on the academic standing of Paternoville people? That school was being run by the football program just like Duke is now being run by the basketball program.

Penn State rethinks focus on football ? USATODAY.com

Remember when Iowa tried this? This should go over very well with the Penn St alumni who think football IS Penn St, which includes most of the alumni.

Come on, do people believe this garbage? PSU is in damage control mode and when programs are in that mode they spew a lot of garbage they don't really mean.

If they hire a guy that is a strong academic coach and he is struggly around .500 for a few seasons there he will be run.

All I know is that if Sandusky steps out of his house wearing ANYTHING Penn St. related, it would serve the university best if someone would kill him on site.

PSU will be fine eventually. But, they will have some down years as they dig out.

This is a silly comment. Of course things will return to normal if you give it enough time. But the people on this board tend to talk about things happening in the near term. PSU isn't gonna have the same experience as OSU/USC/Florida/Texas/etc. They spent years getting themselves into this mess, it will be years before it is behind them.

(okay that last part could've been phrased differently)

Latest posts