Penn st continuing the tradition of knocking down the 3 ball

Well definitely the first one. I guess you also hope Wiescamp solves at least half of the back court problems and Connor at least helps some in the other part. I'm not a guy who thinks we need ultra quick guards to win. I've seen enough of Wisconsin to know that's not true.

As far as running guys off goes, I'm not sure who. I guess since Ellingson is graduating he could go. But Fran needs to have a damn good recruit coming in for that to happen.
You're underestimating the quickness of Wisconsin's guards. And you're underestimating their willingness to play defense.

I've kinda gotten numb to Iowa and the three ball. Been watching Iowa hoops since the 80's and i can't really remember a team that does a good job of locking down the perimeter. Going back to the Davis days, it's been raining threes. For whatever reason, Iowa just doesn't seem to defend it. Not nearly well enough, anyway.

You can't expect to guard the three when your entire back court lacks athleticism. Pressure the perimeter, and give up dribble-drive. Fall back to contain, and give up the three. I've been vocal about this for the last three seasons. Everybody could see it coming, but Fran just keeps bringing in wing player after wing player.

And, I have never understood all this talk about Moss being a good defender. He's not. Not even close. Moss is pretty good in transition and can hit the occasional three, but that's the sum total of his game. He only looks good in comparison to players like Ellingson, but my grandmother would look good defensively compared to him.

As far as the front court, the lack of development of the upperclassmen has hurt us. Wagner is essentially the same player he was the day he arrived, and Uhl has actually gone backwards. Other programs have players that get better and better each season (like, say, Penn State...). Here it's a rarity (Aaron White, Dev Marble, Jok and that's about it).

Who stole JBos confidence/mojo? The dude looked like he didn't want to be out there. Some of the forced turnovers he made were really terrible. He wasn't looking for his own offense hardly at all. Does he not know he's one of the best shooters in college basketball and they need him to get open looks. That's on Fran. Now for those of you that kept saying Ellingson was going to be good.... Is it too early for me to say I told you so? He's a D2 or 3 player. He's not athletic enough. He probably isn't even as good as Josh Oglesby was overall. Moss isn't ready for being the man yet but ready or not they gotta ride him. He's the only person off the dribble (besides Cook in instances) that can create for himself. So without CM being able to backup JBo that position is just going to be really rough on us late in games especially.

Who stole JBos confidence/mojo? The dude looked like he didn't want to be out there. Some of the forced turnovers he made were really terrible. He wasn't looking for his own offense hardly at all. Does he not know he's one of the best shooters in college basketball and they need him to get open looks. That's on Fran. Now for those of you that kept saying Ellingson was going to be good.... Is it too early for me to say I told you so? He's a D2 or 3 player. He's not athletic enough. He probably isn't even as good as Josh Oglesby was overall. Moss isn't ready for being the man yet but ready or not they gotta ride him. He's the only person off the dribble (besides Cook in instances) that can create for himself. So without CM being able to backup JBo that position is just going to be really rough on us late in games especially.
Bohannon plays with a kind of casual cockiness. When he's hitting shots, he can get away with that, but, when he's not, it makes him look like he has the wrong mindset/attitude to be out there. Instead of locking in and playing with more determination, he wilts and stands there chewing on his mouthpiece.

You can't expect to guard the three when your entire back court lacks athleticism. Pressure the perimeter, and give up dribble-drive. Fall back to contain, and give up the three. I've been vocal about this for the last three seasons. Everybody could see it coming, but Fran just keeps bringing in wing player after wing player.

And, I have never understood all this talk about Moss being a good defender. He's not. Not even close. Moss is pretty good in transition and can hit the occasional three, but that's the sum total of his game. He only looks good in comparison to players like Ellingson, but my grandmother would look good defensively compared to him.

As far as the front court, the lack of development of the upperclassmen has hurt us. Wagner is essentially the same player he was the day he arrived, and Uhl has actually gone backwards. Other programs have players that get better and better each season (like, say, Penn State...). Here it's a rarity (Aaron White, Dev Marble, Jok and that's about it).

I am guilty on the Moss thing. I thought he was capable of getting after it on the defensive end. He is a lot like Cook you wonder why they can’t be better on the defensive end. I will let this season play out, but I am getting closer and closer to admitting that Moss “is what he is “.

Ogelsby played much better defense than BE.

Bohannon plays with a kind of casual cockiness. When he's hitting shots, he can get away with that, but, when he's not, it makes him look like he has the wrong mindset/attitude to be out there. Instead of locking in and playing with more determination, he wilts and stands there chewing on his mouthpiece.

Very good observation here. I became a big fan of Bohannon last season and he impressed me as a fighter and kid who won't fold under pressure. I haven't liked his body language in both games I've watched since we started getting them on regular tv. Not his fault that Fran has put him in this position in a role perhaps not best suited for him which he may have started to figure out. It really hurts him not having an effective scorer beside him at the 2 and that falls squarely on Fran.

How you handle things in the big moments when you face adversity defines character and when young impacts the course of your life. I hope for his and the team's sake that Bohannon fights his way through this. If he doesn't Fran has even bigger problems on his hands than meets the eye.

Last edited:
I can't put my finger on it but I sure don't like it. To me Fran needs to be running plays for him to get shots. When he's off the ball they aren't running him off any screens or anything. Either he's open off the screens he's getting set off the dribble himself or on some kind of scramble situation and the ball finds him. Why not have someone else be the inbounder when they take it out under their own hoop too? You can get him in a catch and shoot situation if you do that off those. He's just the best shooter we have and they have to manufacture ways to get him looks now. He's not a surprise and everyone will be trying to take him out of our game plan now

I can't put my finger on it but I sure don't like it. To me Fran needs to be running plays for him to get shots. When he's off the ball they aren't running him off any screens or anything. Either he's open off the screens he's getting set off the dribble himself or on some kind of scramble situation and the ball finds him. Why not have someone else be the inbounder when they take it out under their own hoop too? You can get him in a catch and shoot situation if you do that off those. He's just the best shooter we have and they have to manufacture ways to get him looks now. He's not a surprise and everyone will be trying to take him out of our game plan now
Fran does run sets for him. One that i see all the time some people call a flair or drift. Bohannon has the ball near the top of the key, then after he gives up the ball, he drifts to behind the line over to the left or right. Usually there is a screener. The person with the ball lofts it over the defense at the top of the key while he is in motion (a type of skip pass). Defenses are getting wise and either switching or not going under the screen. Also, screens are set for him all the time, but he frequently doesn't come "arm-to-arm" with the screener, allowing the defender to slip through. He's not alone there. That is kind of a lost art.

To me...this team has the potential to spiral out of control into the dark abyss...

Something needs to change...

I am guilty on the Moss thing. I thought he was capable of getting after it on the defensive end. He is a lot like Cook you wonder why they can’t be better on the defensive end. I will let this season play out, but I am getting closer and closer to admitting that Moss “is what he is “.

I've only watched Moss in the last two games where the competition stepped up and to my surprise he hasn't impressed me all that much on either end. He has a way more limited game offensively than I expected and I thought he would step in and give us a reliable scoring threat that would take some of the pressure off Bohannon. He might make a better 3 but we don't have that option with him this season since we really need him in the back court. Moss seems a case study in how poorly Fran has recruited at guard although he may step up his game in time but under Fran we can't expect much from him on the defensive end.

I've only watched Moss in the last two games where the competition stepped up and to my surprise he hasn't impressed me all that much on either end. He has a way more limited game offensively than I expected and I thought he would step in and give us a reliable scoring threat that would take some of the pressure off Bohannon. He might make a better 3 but we don't have that option with him this season since we really need him in the back court. Moss seems a case study in how poorly Fran has recruited at guard although he may step up his game in time but under Fran we can't expect much from him on the defensive end.

Moss was better in the Penn St. game than the Va.Tech game, but it is apparent he is limited. On a decent team he is probably coming off the bench giving you 12-15 minutes a game. I know people have suggested he is better at the 3 spot the lack depth at the guard spots you really can't experiment with that.

7-23 to 10-20 unless some chemistry develops. If 7-23 how can you keep him around another year. Weiscamp is not going to be Micheal Jordan. Yes Fran is an better than Lickliter, but losing so many times in the first round of the Big Ten tournament and then to finish with under ten wins in a season, Barta would be totally within his rights to let Fran go............................sons be damned. In reality what I think would happen is what Barta did with Alford. He would make a public statement that the university expects better next season.

The shocking thing about all of this is many of you were big supporters of Fran but the product and results on the floor are so bad this season that it’s just eye opening in a very negative way. I was thinking along of the lines of some of the comments that PC has made. I expected us to be pretty good this year and be really good next season.

Moss was better in the Penn St. game than the Va.Tech game, but it is apparent he is limited. On a decent team he is probably coming off the bench giving you 12-15 minutes a game. I know people have suggested he is better at the 3 spot the lack depth at the guard spots you really can't experiment with that.

Moss being our best guard is why we are in the spot we are in. We really just don't have much talent in the back court at all.