Pemsl needs some confidence.

greghammel

He was so good in HS and he had a good freshman season... now one could say injuries. Might be true. Then you have the Iowa State game last year where he was a beast. What was the deal? Where did that attitude go?
If I were playing 3 on 3, I would take Pemsl and just force him to raise his level. I think he has it within him... to be much better and less reserved.

Pemsl needs to go on a diet and learn how to correctly shoot a jump shot . Nevermind too late he is a junior

Pemsl needs to go on a diet and learn how to correctly shoot a jump shot . Nevermind too late he is a junior
I understand you are negative about everything but half the shit you say is flat out dumb. Pemsl’s best year was as a freshman when he had more weight on him. Him trying to slim down and play more at the 4 has been the worst thing that happened to him.

I understand you are negative about everything but half the shit you say is flat out dumb. Pemsl’s best year was as a freshman when he had more weight on him. Him trying to slim down and play more at the 4 has been the worst thing that happened to him.
Put him at the 4 nope too short not very good ball skills . Put him at the 3 nope not quick enough no ball skills . What do you do with him? That’s not negative that’s real

Put him at the 4 nope too short not very good ball skills . Put him at the 3 nope not quick enough no ball skills . What do you do with him? That’s not negative that’s real
He’s an undersized center (5) which is what I said earlier in the thread. He needs MORE weight like he had freshman year when he used his lower half to move bodies around on way to nearly 9/5 as a true freshman.

Again you can be Mr negative all you want, but at least have a clue what you are talking about.

Nick Ward played center for MSU at 6’9/255. Cordell is 6’8.

He’s an undersized center (5) which is what I said earlier in the thread. He needs MORE weight like he had freshman year when he used his lower half to move bodies around on way to nearly 9/5 as a true freshman.

Again you can be Mr negative all you want, but at least have a clue what you are talking about.

Nick Ward played center for MSU at 6’9/255. Cordell is 6’8.
Actually you are the one being clueless. More weight wouldn’t really help . He isn’t a big ten quality basketball player regardless how he looked his freshman year . We need better players . It’s going to be a long winter

Actually you are the one being clueless. More weight wouldn’t really help . He isn’t a big ten quality basketball player regardless how he looked his freshman year . We need better players . It’s going to be a long winter
I don’t disagree that he’s not a big ten player, I think he would be better suited at a UNI. Once Garza came in Pemsl just didn’t have a huge role, but Fran likes to play everyone

I don’t disagree that he’s not a big ten player, I think he would be better suited at a UNI. Once Garza came in Pemsl just didn’t have a huge role, but Fran likes to play everyone
I don’t understand how anyone can get into a rhythm under Fran with the 12-14 man rotation

Pemsl has great footwork & is aggressive. He hasn't played continuously in almost 2 years, give the guy time before writing him off.

He is ISU's worst nightmare.

Pemsl is at the top of my list for potential transfers next year. I think had cook stayed he woulda left already, but once cook declared I think he thought he'd get more minutes. Those minutes seem to have been swallowed up by Kriener instead.

Why all the negativity with Cordell? I like him. He brings energy and toughness when the Hawks need it. He is the consumate team player. I for one hopes he does not even consider transferring.

Hopefully Fran gives him a bump in minutes tomorrow and let him get back into his strengths. The rest of the team hasn't done well at hitting him when open or good position.

Yes he has messed up some of the opportunities when he did get the ball, he's been out a while and he's proved himself previously. Get him going Fran...

then that makes pemsl our 3rd string center. and that makes him valuable how? because he is a center, as you point out, and because he's behind garza and kriener on the depth chart, he needs to play the 4 if he wants minutes. so, what does he need to do to be an effective 4? consistently making the 15 ft jumper, while still being able to play around the rim. i'm sure you would agree with this, right? i mean, pemsl definitely is no 3, so his only options are the 4 and 5. he needs to lose some weight in order to play defense as a 4. he looks to have lost some mobility, i'm thinking it's due to his surgery and his lack of ability to properly train.

Flashback to Pemsl’s freshman year he and Cook were the primary “Bigs” on the team (RK didn’t play much). Cook with his athleticism could handle the ball out on the perimeter. Neither could shoot. Cook and Pemsl did start alongside one another for a bit, but it was a little clunky so Pemsl finally came off the bench.

The reality was on that team he was allowed to play his natural position which is center. Yes he’s a little undersized for the position but he did have the thick frame to move people around. He’s got a variety of post moves and is a willing passer. He had a very nice freshman year.

Flash forward to the following year and Fran brought in Garza, and Nunge both at 6’10/6’11 and Kriener began to earn some minutes. This led to the “let’s slim Cordell down and try to play him minutes at the 4 spot.” The results were pretty telling and not good. Without a jump shot for Pemsl and with Garza operating down low the majority of the time, it’s hard for Pemsl to find his spots on the floor. Offensively he’s pretty much a screener. On the defensive end he is being asked to defend 4’s, which given his lack of footspeed isn’t ideal. I mean does Fran or anyone think he’s has a snowballs chance in hell of guarding a guy like Lamar Stevens or Isaiah Livers? It’s just won’t happen, which pushes Iowa into a zone. This is far from only a Pemsl problem, we basically have 4 bigs who at this point appear too slow to defend the 4 spot. I’d hope Nunge could do it but he looks awfully slow as well.

The bottom line is this. We basically have 4 centers and in order to divide minutes Fran is trying to get Nunge and Pemsl at the 4. Nunge has at least a fighting chance with slightly better footspeed and more length. He also has a jump shot on offense so he gives Garza room to operate at the very least on that end.

I like Pemsl’s mean streak and I’m sure he will have some good moments in individual games, but playing at the 4 spot at the B1G level isn’t putting him in any sort of position for sustained success.

Latest posts