Pearl!

Just stating what I know about the situation.

1) Have not talked to Pearl for several months ,but know for a fact certain things

A) Loves Iowa, worked several camps with him! This is a fact!

B) Loves TD, but a lot has been repaired since firing!

C) UT is a great job, but his heart is in the B10. SEC Bball outside of UK does not get it done! Would not mind getting away from certain things in Knoxville!

D) If Iowa steps up to the plate, he will oblige!

Take it for what you want, but Iowa is certainly in play! it's in Barta's court!

My only questions are financials and university administrative support....

It's going to take 2.5 million plus which means you not only have to buy out Lick and do a huge pay increase to get Pearl but also raise Ferentz to 4 mill plus. It would make no sense otherwise to pay the basketball coach almost as much as Ferentz given his tenure and results in the largest revenue sport.

Pearl would definitely recruit better athletes/players some of which will come with baggage, needs and problems. Is the U prepared to embrace that ? The media will have a field day as they do with any drinking arrest.

Last edited:
UI has enough money to step, without ?. The only question is do we want to! From what I hear money is not a problem, it is the Ferentz factor! But knowing about Kirk, I don't think this is a problem!

The stands would fill up right away. Spending a lot of money on a coach like Pearl would pay for itself...

Have you looked at the financial reports for the UI and other programs ? Look at the revenue disparity between football and basketball. It's not even close. You might also be suprised that in 2008 Iowa's and Kansas's B-Ball revenue difference was only 4-5 million if I recall correctly. Kansas was coming off a National Title and we were bad so the ceiling for more revenue is not all that much.

If there's an over-flowing amount of money ask yourself why are single game tickets 20+ dollars and we have the worst B-Ball facilities in the conference? This idea that money is growing on trees at Iowa is mis-leading or it's going somewhere else.

I thought the financials state that we brought in $81 million in revenue verses $71 million in expenses that's $10 million a year in the black! I thought the financials state that we have the 15th highest grossing athletic department in the country. SpecialKHawk are you sure you looked at the financials?

UI has enough money to step, without ?. The only question is do we want to! From what I hear money is not a problem, it is the Ferentz factor! But knowing about Kirk, I don't think this is a problem!

I agree. I can almost guarantee any quote out of Ferentz on the situation of a BBall coach would read something like this, "I only focus on my job. I leave those types of decisions up to the administration. Whatever they think is best is for the University of Iowa is what I think is best for the University of Iowa. Love it or leave it."

Since when did the salaries of coaches in other sports become a measuring stick for basketball coaches salaries?

Apples to Oranges.

Kirk would probably be happy to see Iowa pay a basketball coach something close to what he makes. It would probably result in him getting a better raise next time around.

unlike Stevie the Hair, Ferentz probably realizes that having a good bball program is good for his football program.

I agree. I can almost guarantee any quote out of Ferentz on the situation of a BBall coach would read something like this, "I only focus on my job. I leave those types of decisions up to the administration. Whatever they think is best is for the University of Iowa is what I think is best for the University of Iowa. Love it or leave it."

That definitely sounded like Kirk, but I think Stanzi said that last part...

Kirk would probably be happy to see Iowa pay a basketball coach something close to what he makes. It would probably result in him getting a better raise next time around.

This.

Especially if Iowa football has the type of season we're hoping it will and thinking it might.

Ohhh...I see now! I thought maybe Stanzi had walked in and jumped into the convo, but wasn't credited for it.

He might have, but apparently to post anything on a message board these days you have to have a source in the MEDIA to back you up...because only people in the media are able to have any contact with anyone close to the situation.

He might have, but apparently to post anything on a message board these days you have to have a source in the MEDIA to back you up...because only people in the media are able to have any contact with anyone close to the situation.

Thank God for message boards...they may CLAIM you need that, but it still doesn't stop anyone!

I thought the financials state that we brought in $81 million in revenue verses $71 million in expenses that's $10 million a year in the black! I thought the financials state that we have the 15th highest grossing athletic department in the country. SpecialKHawk are you sure you looked at the financials?

I don't think SpecialKHawk actually read the financials. Or maybe he just likes being b*tch slapped with the facts? Iowa (and Big Ten) athletics are swimming in money. As Jon pointed out on his show Friday even little old Northwestern takes in more football TV money than Texas (20 mill. Vs. 16 mill) and the entire Big East Conference.

Last edited:

Latest posts