Pearl/Keno

I am frightened by some of the replies I've read in this post.

:confused:

I think many of you are so unwilling to admit Iowa made a mistake when it sent Mr. Davis packing, that you are unable to accept the idea that Keno would be a good choice.

I commend and respect Jon greatly for not being one of those people, BTW.

Oh well. Off to watch that Harrison Barnes guy. Still can't believe he didn't even consider playing for Lickliter. I think Austin Peay and IUPUI were in the running longer than Iowa was.

I was one of the people beating the band for a change at the end of the Davis era...and about midway through the Alford era, I thought to myself 'What have we done?!?!'

I was dead wrong on that. Because life without Davis has shown me just how challenging it is to do what he did at Iowa...and I took it for granted.

I agree to go after Pearl first and go after him hard. Of course, there are assistant from Pearl's staff, Big Ten Schools, and the other names mentioned such as Drew at Baylor, etc.

But, I really think the next coach at Iowa would greatly benefit with being an "Iowa guy." Keno fits this bill and I see in Keno somebody who knows Iowa and will be able to connect with the Iowa fan base. Keno also plays uptempo (a must style of ball for the next coach) I think will be able to recruit better than Lickliter (style of ball will have a lot to do with that and how he connects with his players).

I see Keno is getting downplayed because of the year they had this year (hence the arguments he can't teach defense). However, Keno lost a number of players to graduation and from what I have been reading, they should be much improved next year. He knocked off a number of good school in his first year at Providence and of course all of the other things mentioned about him in this thread.

He's young enough, an Iowa guy, and is the son of Mr. Davis Davis. I see a Kirk Ferentz type of hire in him. He's not the best hire for Iowa (Pearl is because he has more experience, an Iowa connection, uptempo, and is more proven) but I would be extremely happy and feel fortunate if we did land Keno Davis.

We can be competitive and get into the NCAA Tourney with Keno. And, I think we can get Keno to Iowa cheaper than Pearl and if Pearl turns us down (and we should offer a lot of Pearl and do everything we can to get him in the first place).

Last edited:
One part of Keno's resume that is forgotten by most everyone is his time with Gary Garner. A guy who loves defense. The defense in Keno's Drake season seemed pretty good to me, more intense at the half court level than what Tom's teams often seemed to play.

I am frightened by some of the replies I've read in this post.

:confused:

I think many of you are so unwilling to admit Iowa made a mistake when it sent Mr. Davis packing, that you are unable to accept the idea that Keno would be a good choice.

I commend and respect Jon greatly for not being one of those people, BTW.

They are only frightening to you because of your veiled and unveiled man-love for Tom Davis and his family.

Sorry, you nor anyone else is going to convince me that Keno Davis is a better hire right now than Bruce Pearl.

I would suspect that most national media types would agree.

But what do they know?

jparmley.....jaimie points out several times that Pearl would be his 1st choice, so I'm not sure anyone is trying to convince you Keno is greater than Pearl.

Keno would bring a great staff with him, as well. They have recruited well at Drake & Providence and I think with the new facilities, they'd have even more success at Iowa.

I for one would be very excited about that brand of basketball returning to Iowa.

jparmley.....jaimie points out several times that Pearl would be his 1st choice, so I'm not sure anyone is trying to convince you Keno is greater than Pearl.

Keno would bring a great staff with him, as well. They have recruited well at Drake & Providence and I think with the new facilities, they'd have even more success at Iowa.

I for one would be very excited about that brand of basketball returning to Iowa.

I hope it does not spell, "losing an 18 point halftime lead to UNLV."

I am not yet convinced that keno can win. he had one great season at drake, with his dads recruits, after his father laid the foundation for 3 years before. all keno did was continue with that foundation. What has keno done at his new school. he is not winning games there. i say let him be for now. and look else where.

Anyone who can't see the blaring similarities between Pearl and Keno are blinded by Keno's last name.

I also don't think that you can discount hiring someone to their dream job, not just a job promotion.

Latest posts