Payton Sandfort Still Navigating NBA Draft Process

He is a great distributor and floor general, but I haven't seen that his shooting is super awesome, and his size makes him a liability on defense. I like his game and hope he can be a starter or serious factor at the 1 so Dix can play more off ball. But, he has things to prove IMHO.
Oh he has a lot to prove, I just like what I saw in his limited minutes last year. IMO, he was better as a freshman than Aaron Ullis, Desonte Bowen or Joe T .... just eye ball test, give me Brock out of those 3. I think he is going to fly under the radar and be one of the guards we all talk about needing and wanting at the UofI - he is undersized but he's a player and you can tell that when you see him with the ball in his hands.

This is gonna be a 3 guard, 1 center, 1 forward team. Starters will be Harding, Payton, Dix, Freeman and a forward to be named later -- with the Fr & So guys (and Mulvey) backing up those 5. The glaring weakness -- as always -- is gonna be defense. Harding is a defensive liability whenever he steps on the court, and Freeman is a foul waiting to happen. Hopefully they can finish in the Top 10 of the new BTen.
You are wrong about Harding’s D. Opponents will have to work hard to get him switched off in the lane. Yes. He will get over matched at times. Out on the floor, he will drive his man crazy.

I’m in wait and see mode with Harding. I don’t know if he is a starter getting 25+ minutes a game or a role player getting 12. I know Freeman is better when Harding is on the court. You can tell they have chemistry and have played a lot of basketball together. Harding can get Freeman the ball in spots, that no one else on the roster can. All that said…I need to see more before I automatically anoint him the starter.

Add me to the list of not wanting to see much of Dix at the point. I just want Dix hunting shots and being the best on-the- ball defender on the roster…I want him focusing on locking people down, not running an offense.

I’m in wait and see mode with Harding. I don’t know if he is a starter getting 25+ minutes a game or a role player getting 12. I know Freeman is better when Harding is on the court. You can tell they have chemistry and have played a lot of basketball together. Harding can get Freeman the ball in spots, that no one else on the roster can. All that said…I need to see more before I automatically anoint him the starter.

Add me to the list of not wanting to see much of Dix at the point. I just want Dix hunting shots and being the best on-the- ball defender on the roster…I want him focusing on locking people down, not running an offense.
Sometimes a guy gets on the floor because he makes the superstar the superstar. Connor started because he was the best post feeder in the history of modern college basketball and we also happened to have one of the best true centers in modern college basketball. Once Garza graduated, Connor's value on the floor was more limited.

Freeman's game is much different than Garza's, but both need to be fed the ball. If Fran turns the keys over to Harding and moves Dix to the 2, I will live with some growing pains. I think Harding could be another Mike Gessel, but with more offensive prowess.

The kid from Morehead St has some impressive credentials. It should be a good competition between Harding and he for minutes. I hope they both contribute.

How tall is Harding really? The roster says 6'0", I think, but they always lie about that. He's probably more like 5'10", at least I hop he's that tall.

The kid from Morehead St has some impressive credentials. It should be a good competition between Harding and he for minutes. I hope they both contribute.

How tall is Harding really? The roster says 6'0", I think, but they always lie about that. He's probably more like 5'10", at least I hop he's that tall.
If he's 6 foot so am I. And I am not.

Oh he has a lot to prove, I just like what I saw in his limited minutes last year. IMO, he was better as a freshman than Aaron Ullis, Desonte Bowen or Joe T .... just eye ball test, give me Brock out of those 3. I think he is going to fly under the radar and be one of the guards we all talk about needing and wanting at the UofI - he is undersized but he's a player and you can tell that when you see him with the ball in his hands.
You are wrong about Harding’s D. Opponents will have to work hard to get him switched off in the lane. Yes. He will get over matched at times. Out on the floor, he will drive his man crazy.

Yeah, Brock's D is definitely underrated

He plays D in a similar style to Gabby Marshall

His footwork and hands are usually in the right position and usually whomever
he is guarding passes the ball

Sometimes a guy gets on the floor because he makes the superstar the superstar. Connor started because he was the best post feeder in the history of modern college basketball and we also happened to have one of the best true centers in modern college basketball. Once Garza graduated, Connor's value on the floor was more limited.

Freeman's game is much different than Garza's, but both need to be fed the ball. If Fran turns the keys over to Harding and moves Dix to the 2, I will live with some growing pains. I think Harding could be another Mike Gessel, but with more offensive prowess.
Brock is quick and fast and can stay in front of his man. The problems arise if he gets caught in that 10-20 feet where a good taller shooter can just shoot. Fortunately, we also have a good help and rim defender. Brock is going to be a major asset.

The ceiling for Harding is probably Braden Smith of Purdue, you are hoping the floor is near Gessel or maybe Bryce Cartwright.

The ceiling for Harding is probably Braden Smith of Purdue, you are hoping the floor is near Gessel or maybe Bryce Cartwright.
Hope you are right. If you are, he should be the Day 1 starter at PG. I would have taken Mike Gessel the last few years at PG. Something more than that is exciting to consider.

Mikey G was a good point guard, at least in the first 35 minutes of a game. Poor kid was just a terrible choker.

I would have taken Mike over just about every PG Iowa has had since. ....
Jordan was much better at almost every offensive skill. Mikey G was a good player but he isn't the career leader in 3 point shooting and Iowa's career leader assist and FT% shooting. Jordan was an unconventional but none the less outstanding point guard.

For better or worse, this coach wants to race the ball up the court and score quickly. That pretty much defines Jordan's game.

Jordan was much better at almost every offensive skill. Mikey G was a good player but he isn't the career leader in 3 point shooting and Iowa's career leader assist and FT% shooting. Jordan was an unconventional but none the less outstanding point guard.

For better or worse, this coach wants to race the ball up the court and score quickly. That pretty much defines Jordan's game.
Yeah, I was going to say, maybe Jordan, but I think I'd personally still take Mike G. I feel like Jbo had a better supporting cast - mike on some of these teams the last few years would have been pretty good for Iowa basketball.

Yeah, I was going to say, maybe Jordan, but I think I'd personally still take Mike G. I feel like Jbo had a better supporting cast - mike on some of these teams the last few years would have been pretty good for Iowa basketball.
They were both undersized. One could not play defense and one could not play offense. But, in Fran's system, you take Jordan over Gessel every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Fran wants to win 88-84, not 52-49.

BTW, to get back to the start of this sub thread, Harding shows signs of being a good combination of these two. He will never shoot like Jordan or probably plan D like Gessel, but he seems competent at shooting and D, and he can also take it to the rack.

It's funny how revisionist history works. I was one of Jbo's biggest defenders on this site for the 14 years he played here. I didn't give a shit about this defense and often times would say that he could break dance at the top of the key for all I care ..... and this board, was every other topic about needing Jbo out of the starting line up, how Iowa needed to get him out of the 1 spot. He wasn't a PG and that he was killing our team and how could Fran just keep rolling him out there and OMG WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO, JBO IS OUR STARTING PG?

Fast forward a few years and it's "Oh ya take Jordan over Mike Gessell, no brainer"

Last edited:
It's funny how revisionist history works. I was one of Jbo's biggest defenders on this site for the 14 years he played here. I didn't give a shit about this defense and often times would say that he could break dance at the top of the key for all I care ..... and this board, was every other topic about needing Jbo out of the starting line up, how Iowa needed to get him out of the 1 spot. He wasn't a PG and that he was killing our team and how could Fran just keep rolling him out there and OMG WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO, JBO IS OUR STARTING PG?

Fast forward a few years and it's "Oh ya take Jordan of Mike Gessell, no brainer"
You would never have to defend Jordan to me. The Jordan bashing is insane. His value far outweighed his cost.

Jordan certainly received a Ton of criticism from Hawkeye fans

Always wondered if they were watching the same games as I was

Just found this on Youtube

Free throws were just pocket change to Jordan

He loved the Three

Last edited:
Jordan certainly received a Ton of criticism from Hawkeye fans

Always wondered if they were watching the same games as I was

Just found this on Youtube

Free throws were just pocket change to Jordan

He loved the Three
He was never a "true" enough point guard for some folks. He definitely stacks up well against other Iowa PGs in his era.

Fast forward a few years and it's "Oh ya take Jordan of Mike Gessell, no brainer"
+1 Guess our voices were drowned out because I remember feeling like the only JBO defender on this board a lot of the times.. JBO was the best show Iowa had until CC came along. On and off the court, he was fun, interesting, and a winner.