Patrick McCaffery Moves into Leadership Role

Patrick has got to be more disciplined with his body control on the mid-range shots. Many times you would see him taking out of control shots while moving toward the basket. He needs stop, square up, and shoot in an under control form. He is a highly talented player, but just needs more control discipline.

Patrick also mentioned that a player can’t just be a three point shooter and that players need to have other skills. Not to be knocking on JBo but that was an obvious weak spot for him. Great outside three point shooter, but lacking on break to the basket ability and stop and pop from midrange shots. The lack of quickness hurt these abilities and not just on offense but on defense also. Yet, JBo had a lot of heart and he single handedly was a vital part to many wins for the team. His long range bombs were deciding factors in many games.

Let’s hope Patrick has a great season and stays healthy both physically and mentally. I wish him nothing but the best on and off the court, not only in his basketball career but in his life in general moving on after his time at the University of Iowa.

A Bold Prediction:

Brock Harding will be one of the best point guards we have had since BJ Armstrong and Ronnie Lester

He gets criticized because of his height

Ronnie Lester: 6'2
BJ Armstrong: 6'2
Brock Harding: 6'2

Merely Idle Conjecture

Nothing else

:cool:

A Bold Prediction:

Brock Harding will be one of the best point guards we have had since BJ Armstrong and Ronnie Lester

He gets criticized because of his height

Ronnie Lester: 6'2
BJ Armstrong: 6'2
Brock Harding: 6'2

Merely Idle Conjecture

Nothing else

:cool:
He's got the moxie for it. He's not scared of anything. If he can put on 15 lbs or so I'd feel a lot better about your prediction. And he'll get the opportunity to. I'm not quite bold enough to go that far with my take on him yet. But I will say he'll make Illinois wish with every fiber of their being that they'd recruited him before it's all said and done. Blows my mind they didn't want him.

Pat is interesting... Just talking about his game I think it'd be a big ask to try and get much more out of him. His decision making is just so wild too often. His shot selection and the types of shots he tries to take are so bad at times. It's like he's the opposite of a coaches kid. I get nervous most of the time when he's putting the ball on the floor. When his feet are set and he's catching and shooting he's great. Or when he's got a straight line to the hoop. But when he's gotta try beating someone he likes to go left or fade away and those are often really low % shots for him the way he takes them. I wish he'd take those out of his arsenal.

As far as his mental side I mean I just hope he's all good to go for all yr. Coming and going from the team makes things tough for not only him doing that like he did last yr. But it was what it was. Just hope he's better.

Pat is interesting... Just talking about his game I think it'd be a big ask to try and get much more out of him. His decision making is just so wild too often. His shot selection and the types of shots he tries to take are so bad at times. It's like he's the opposite of a coaches kid. I get nervous most of the time when he's putting the ball on the floor. When his feet are set and he's catching and shooting he's great. Or when he's got a straight line to the hoop. But when he's gotta try beating someone he likes to go left or fade away and those are often really low % shots for him the way he takes them. I wish he'd take those out of his arsenal.

As far as his mental side I mean I just hope he's all good to go for all yr. Coming and going from the team makes things tough for not only him doing that like he did last yr. But it was what it was. Just hope he's better.

If Patrick maintains his health all the way around, he has a ton of enthusiasm that will be a bonus

Hopefully, it will be infectious

When he is on, he is really fun to watch

A lot of the time he receives the ball when he is somewhat open and he hesitates
and passes the ball

If he can take it inside to draw fouls and make a few baskets, it will be a bonus

Already getting anxious for the BBall season to start

Not even August

Damn

If Patrick maintains his health all the way around, he has a ton of enthusiasm that will be a bonus

Hopefully, it will be infectious

When he is on, he is really fun to watch

A lot of the time he receives the ball when he is somewhat open and he hesitates
and passes the ball

If he can take it inside to draw fouls and make a few baskets, it will be a bonus

Already getting anxious for the BBall season to start

Not even August

Damn
Football can't get here quick enough. Both sports has a lot of questions that need to be answered. We saw how that Michigan QB dissembled us in the Big Championship game. If that guy shows up for every game and he can avoid injuries this is going to be fun as he should have some real good targets to throw too both to the TE's and to the speedsters on the outside. Just block of front man, just block up front!!!!!

Once again, it's the youthfulness and they unknown over the basketball program that makes it so interesting to look forward too. Biggest concern is who will step up and take Fillips spot and defend at the post. We got some tall players, but can they jump? Where's a Reggie Evans when you need him? He wasn't a prolific scorer but when he decided he was getting the rebound no one else was.

Played against Ronnie (I looked like a special Olympian in the NBA) and he was closer to 6'4" than 6'2". BJ was probably 6'2", he was about an inch taller than me. Also made me look like a special Olympian.

Brock looks a lot closer to 5'10" than 6'2." It seems that Brock has an extra level of speed, like Joe T, with a great deal more control, a much better shot and much better floor vision. Little guys that are fast and good can cause a lot of havoc on the floor. Official roster, Brock 6' and 155 pounds.

Where's a Reggie Evans when you need him? He wasn't a prolific scorer but when he decided he was getting the rebound no one else was.
I think you are really going to like Ladji and Owen.

Biggest concern is who will step up and take Fillips spot and defend at the post.
Owen. Would not be really surprised if three true freshmen started by the end of the season. I see questions about Braun and Krikke. Also not surprised to see Dix and TP start as guards. It'd be like Connor with a killer three pointer and a more polite demeanor.

Played against Ronnie (I looked like a special Olympian in the NBA) and he was closer to 6'4" than 6'2". BJ was probably 6'2", he was about an inch taller than me. Also made me look like a special Olympian.

Brock looks a lot closer to 5'10" than 6'2." It seems that Brock has an extra level of speed, like Joe T, with a great deal more control, a much better shot and much better floor vision. Little guys that are fast and good can cause a lot of havoc on the floor. Official roster, Brock 6' and 155 pounds.

I think you are really going to like Ladji and Owen.
I hope this pans out! We really need someone lto
Be a beast under the boards.

I hope this pans out! We really need someone lto
Be a beast under the boards.
Owen's HS video shows him to just attack rebounds, especially offensive rebounds. Literally everyone I know that has seen him play says Ladji is also an aggressive and physical rebounder that just needs to learn positioning and some of the little secrets of the college rebounding game.

The two guys that I know that really know BBall and have seen Ladji play since arrival in Iowa City say he looks more like Tyler Cook physically but he plays more like Aaron White. Strong inside, ok jump shooter and a physical player on both ends.

Patrick has got to be more disciplined with his body control on the mid-range shots. Many times you would see him taking out of control shots while moving toward the basket. He needs stop, square up, and shoot in an under control form. He is a highly talented player, but just needs more control discipline.

Patrick also mentioned that a player can’t just be a three point shooter and that players need to have other skills. Not to be knocking on JBo but that was an obvious weak spot for him. Great outside three point shooter, but lacking on break to the basket ability and stop and pop from midrange shots. The lack of quickness hurt these abilities and not just on offense but on defense also. Yet, JBo had a lot of heart and he single handedly was a vital part to many wins for the team. His long range bombs were deciding factors in many games.

Let’s hope Patrick has a great season and stays healthy both physically and mentally. I wish him nothing but the best on and off the court, not only in his basketball career but in his life in general moving on after his time at the University of Iowa.
JBo was a decent to good facilitator.

Well, he also split time at the position for four years.
Which may support why it took him 6 years to do it. I'm not trying to take anything, but anyone who broke records due to covid eligibility should get an asterix next to their name in the books.

Perk
Pmac
Payton Sandfort

This isn’t super complicated. You will need 2 of the 3 to show up, pretty much every game, if this is going to be a tournament team. You shrug your shoulders because you just don’t know if any of these dudes can bring it, game in and game out.

Perk
Pmac
Payton Sandfort

This isn’t super complicated. You will need 2 of the 3 to show up, pretty much every game, if this is going to be a tournament team. You shrug your shoulders because you just don’t know if any of these dudes can bring it, game in and game out.
They'll need two of four including those three and Krikke (sp?) IMHO.

Krikke might be needed just for the points.
Yeah ideally they'd like him to score more then what Rebracca did. As much as Iowa is a run and gun uptempo team in the half court they have wanted to be able to play through the post too. Be it high post or low. Krikke will get all the touches he can handle and more.

Since we don't have a dominant guard or wing to demand lots of shots and touches anymore (no more Murrays) It'll be interesting to see how this group goes. TP is capable of being a ball dominant guard that can create for himself but he's been pretty inconsistent so far. Can he put it all together this yr?

Sandfort would be fantastic to see have a solid yr start to finish but he too can be streaky but he's capable.

PM is such a wildcard. Tough to know what to expect out of him. He's certainly not his brother those two couldn't be more different on the court. He's at his best when he's in the open court going to the rim hard or wide open for shots. When he's gotta put the ball on the floor with defenders around he gets coaches nervous with his decision making. Be it shot selection or passing both.

Latest posts