Patrick McCaffery Highlights @ NBPA Top 65 Camp

Highlight wise outside of the first drive and the block shot those are not very impressive no.

But again it’s great he’s going to these things and competing against top flight talent. He has potential just needs to continue to improve and fill out the frame.

Highlight wise outside of the first drive and the block shot those are not very impressive no.

But again it’s great he’s going to these things and competing against top flight talent. He has potential just needs to continue to improve and fill out the frame.

He definitely needs to bulk up - like I said, it wasn't ME that said he was impressive, it was just some twitter skuzz I had seen, then I saw this highlight tape. I thought he looked pretty good.

He's not going to get the looks in the paint he got here once he gets to the Big Ten. His length isn't going to help anything when he can't keep his footing. I know you don't like my takes, but strength (even if he had it) without weight is useless. Bigger wins out. You put two guys down low both at 6'8", one at 185 and one at say 215, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who's going to get pushed around and boxed out. The advantage he'd have because of his length (he's not a great shooter) is negated by what I think will be him getting shut down underneath. At that point, what else is he left with?

And I'm not an anti PM guy either. I just think he's getting too much emphasis because you can't play P5 basketball at 185 lbs and Fran is putting too many eggs in that basket. The only guys who can play that thin are the 7 and a half footers and even that doesn't work for long. He's built exactly like Shawn Bradley only Bradley had almost another foot on McCaffery. It sucks that he had the cancer thing bite him in the ass otherwise I think he'd be in a way better spot.

61008084E.jpg

shawn-bradley15.jpg

He's not going to get the looks in the paint he got here once he gets to the Big Ten. His length isn't going to help anything when he can't keep his footing. I know you don't like my takes, but strength (even if he had it) without weight is useless. Bigger wins out. You put two guys down low both at 6'8", one at 185 and one at say 215, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who's going to get pushed around and boxed out. The advantage he'd have because of his length (he's not a great shooter) is negated by what I think will be him getting shut down underneath. At that point, what else is he left with?

And I'm not an anti PM guy either. I just think he's getting too much emphasis because you can't play P5 basketball at 185 lbs and Fran is putting too many eggs in that basket. The only guys who can play that thin are the 7 and a half footers and even that doesn't work for long. He's built exactly like Shawn Bradley only Bradley had almost another foot on McCaffery. It sucks that he had the cancer thing bite him in the ass otherwise I think he'd be in a way better spot.

61008084E.jpg

shawn-bradley15.jpg

I'm ok with that take - IMO - he already looks to have more meat on him then in the photo you chose to use and that is Bradley in college vs PM as what... a Freshman or Soph in HS? He looks to have some skills. But you are right - bigger and weight is ultimately going to win out. He got some praise going against the top guys at that camp, he looks to at least belong there.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jarrod-Uthoff-12268//high-school-10137

Here’s Jarrod Uthoff’s recruiting profile. He was listed at 6’9/195. I think Pat can get into the 190 range by the time he gets on campus.

You’re Shawn Bradley comment is pretty outrageous. There are plenty of basketball players who are very skinny that have had nice careers who aren’t 7+ footers. You have to have a lot of other skills and it sounds like Pat does have some of those guard type skills.

Pat I don’t think projects to be a guy who plays down low in college by the way, which is why to me he really needs to work on his outside shot and while continuing to bulk up. I see him as a guy who should redshirt his first year so I agree with your comment about not putting our eggs all into his basket for the 2019 class. We need someone that can contribute next year with the likely loss of Cook. I see Pat as more of a developmental player.

61008084E.jpg

shawn-bradley15.jpg

Pat is a wing player. Wing players don't need to be 215 to succeed in college basketball. Clay Mathews was listed at 190, Bates Diop 190, Tate 190. Marble was 200 his Sr. year, but he came in probably lighter than Patrick.

I'd rather have athletes on the wing over bulk.

Pat is a wing player. Wing players don't need to be 215 to succeed in college basketball. Clay Mathews was listed at 190, Bates Diop 190, Tate 190. Marble was 200 his Sr. year, but he came in probably lighter than Patrick.

The problem is that PMac isn't that good of a perimeter shooter. 26.2% from 3pt

That's 6 whole points lower than Carton shot, and you informed me before how that wasn't a good percentage for a "shooting guard." Oddly, both of these guys essentially shoot from their chests.

That's 6 whole points lower than Carton shot, and you informed me before how that wasn't a good percentage for a "shooting guard." Oddly, both of these guys essentially shoot from their chests.

That is not a good % at all, it is horrible actually. Hopefully he improves that. Still you can be a good SF wing without being a great 3pt shooter. Dev only 27% his Fr year, but then improved on that.

There is no question Pat needs to improve his outside shot. That’s why I said he wasn’t deserving of a top 30 ranking. If he gets the 3pt shot and somewhere in the 200s I think he can be a very effective college player, but it might take some time.

Last edited:

I mentioned in my post that since he’s not an outside shooting threat, that’s why his size is going to be his Achilles heel. Like you said, he can make up for being skinny by shooting but he’s not overly great at it. And I think 185 is overstated looking at the kid. Purely conjecture, but is put him closer to 175 in reality.

There are a lot of opinions on how good he is, but I'm pretty sure the Iowa head coach thinks he is one of the best players in the nation if not the best. There is a point guard on the Iowa team he has a high opinion of to.

I mentioned in my post that since he’s not an outside shooting threat, that’s why his size is going to be his Achilles heel. Like you said, he can make up for being skinny by shooting but he’s not overly great at it. And I think 185 is overstated looking at the kid. Purely conjecture, but is put him closer to 175 in reality.
Basically everyone is in agreement with you that he isn’t going to be big enough to bang down low with the big boys in college. Everyone is under the assumption that he will be a wing player.

You are also correct in saying he is a below average outside shooter right now. That is why it never made sense to me how he was rated so high. Simply put, he will really only live up to his ranking if he develops a quality 3pt shot. If that doesn’t come he isn’t going to be an above average player at this level. Guys have made big improvements to their outside shots before, and as he continues to add strength I think that will only help him.

He'll be in need of a redshirt year if we want to see him at his best during his JR/SR yrs.. He don't play as a post player much. He surely won't be used in that way at the next level. He's a wing guy that likes to dribble drive and create. I think he'll be a playmaker for others more so than himself at the D1 level. I only say that because I don't think he's goin to improve his jumper a whole lot. At least not at first. So ideally it'd be nice if he could redshirt and put on 25 lbs of lean muscle in the next 20 months or so along with improving his shot and overall game so he could still play a lot as a young player and be effective... The problem with my hopes are that I doubt he'll end up redshirting for one or gaining that kind of weight fast... But we'll know soon enough.

Saw a pic of Fran at the state fair yesterday on social media. Wonder if he was recruiting Locure since the fair is pretty close to that part of town….. JK JK.

. If he gets the 3pt shit and somewhere in the 200s I think he can be a very effective college player, but it might take some time.
While I wouldn't want to see that, I imagine it would take some talent and genuine effort. Seat up or down is the question?

My take is that the projections are based on him acquiring a 3 point shot in college. I don't know the numbers, but it seemed his FT % was rather high. If a high school guy can shoot free throws at a high clip than he should be able to add the 3 point shot. He still has time to learn that shot. Seems like today....more people learn the 3 before the free throw.

I agree with others if this doesn't happen then I don't see the projections.