Patrick McCaffery Enters Transfer Portal

Didnt make sense for Hunter Dickerson to leave Michigan either. But he did.

Anyone and everyone on this roster is fair game. There is nothing stopping a seven, eight, even nine player mass exodus if it ever comes to that.
OF is worth 7 figures I guess, I just don’t get where the ROI is for these boosters lol??? Like what business model is being used to here? And it’s the fans who are paying, while the school profits and still contributes nothing. How can this last and how sustainable is this shit? Seems like a horrible investment. I don’t think I’m going to invest as heavily into what I’m watching right now at Iowa. I like the core, but it sounds like we can’t afford em.

For whatever reason, him leaving doesn't make sense. I get that he's cut a little different. Someone tweeted at him that he shouldn't leave Iowa and he thumb downed it. I guess he doesn't swear, like at all, and is extremely loyal to coming here and playing with Hardin. He's going to work out with Frank and Luka this off season, he and Harding seem very committed to Fran. But ya know what? I thought Tony Perkins and Pat McCaffery were probably the MOST committed to Fran right? I mean, Pat and TP have been boys since day 1. They spend a lot of time together and with the entire McCaffery family. That's why this hurts me so much.... cause if those guys are going in the portal? It's truly a free for all, there's no loyalty and I don't know why, but I get a weird vibe that Fran is saying to them "hey, you can go make money and play somewhere else that's a better situation, you aren't trapped here" in these exit interviews.... and again, if I am TP's or PM's teammates, the last couple of days have been eye opening decisions about a program that has, so far, done really well with retention of it's best players.
To be a fly on the wall for those conversations...

Heard from Ole Miss, Arizona State, Arkansas, Mizzou, Oklahoma, Indiana, Nebraska, UCLA, Miami and BYU in the first hour lol - Iowa is in trouble in basketball.
I'm definitely going to pay attention to the team that lands Tony. Will he propel that team to a title or a deep run in the tourney? I say no based on his ups and downs. Don't tell me I'm hating on TP because I'm not. Just calling it as I see it. There are games were he was great and there are games like the Utah game where you wonder what's up. Good luck to him.

I'm definitely going to pay attention to the team that lands Tony. Will he propel that team to a title or a deep run in the tourney? I say no based on his ups and downs. Don't tell me I'm hating on TP because I'm not. Just calling it as I see it. There are games were he was great and there are games like the Utah game where you wonder what's up. Good luck to him.
I wish him well and hope he finds the right fit. He could be a nice starting piece on a good team, but I don't see that he is a true difference maker for a team looking for a deep tourney run. He had every opportunity to be the alpha at Iowa this year, and I understand he battled some injuries, but Sanford and to lesser extents Dix and Freeman, surpassed him as the year progressed. I am sad to see him go and I am sure he will have some great options moving forward.

Looks like our friends in Wisconsin know a thing or 4 about what we're going through. They have a bunch of dudes leaving them it looks like. I'd probably rather be us then them so far with how roster attrition is going.

That's most players, that's why they have averages. He was also, publicly known, hurt during the first IL game and playing hurt the rest of the year. I don't think you're hating on Tony, he was inconsistent most of his career but he played at an 2nd team All Big level and those guys are all going for about 150-200k and a car if not higher on the market with schools who have $$.

OF is worth 7 figures I guess, I just don’t get where the ROI is for these boosters lol??? Like what business model is being used to here? And it’s the fans who are paying, while the school profits and still contributes nothing. How can this last and how sustainable is this shit? Seems like a horrible investment. I don’t think I’m going to invest as heavily into what I’m watching right now at Iowa. I like the core, but it sounds like we can’t afford em.
I think it might not be sustainable. People are probably a lot more willing to pay now when it's new. When people pay in money and watch a shitty season one or two times they will probably get gun shy.

This is so easy to fix. Just say you can go out and earn money after you sign and make it against the rules to put together pre committing packages. I think that's what it was supposed to be anyway. Let the players go out and earn money on their own. Not pay to play.

The players are earning money...a shitload of it for the universities
Universities should go to the contract employee model. There is no point trying to keep the student athlete with a scholarship model. Iowa probably could pay much more than a Big East school. Fill the seats and the money pays the freight.

Best wishes for Patrick in his last year of college basketball. Even bigger wishes and prayers for him to stay cancer free.

Thank you Patrick for all your time and effort as a Hawkeye.

Best wishes for Tony also.
Classy post BigD, no doomsday about the whole family up and leaving. As the parent of two adult children, anyone who thinks you can get them to do what you think they should is living in a fantasy world. There is nothing easy about living in a fishbowl like Hawkeye athletics and coaching. A hearty second to your post!

I'm wondering if we won't see more than one McCaffery family member on TV today in Albany? Why not the whole family? I know Siena and Albany have been hyping up the McCaffrey connection. Siena had its best days in men's bb when Fran was coach there, and, no, I'm not suggesting he return. to coach there.

But, at a minimum I could see PMac having an unofficial visit to the Siena program. Although I don't see Siena as his final destination.

Latest posts