Patent office says Southern Miss logo too much like Iowa's

Interesting. I don't think that logo is nearly as sweet as the tigerhawk, and I don't think they're all that similar as that logo is cartoonish, but whatever.

Agreed. There are some similarities yes, but I think they're different enough where it's not a blatant rip off. But like you said - whatever.

Just a couple years ago, someone here linked a sports gear website that accidently used the Miss St logo for IOWA stuff.
I would think that would be pretty good evidence for the IOWA case.

Just a couple years ago, someone here linked a sports gear website that accidently used the Miss St logo for IOWA stuff.
I would think that would be pretty good evidence for the IOWA case.

That site was linked@ BTN.com. and now Iowa has won the case. Coincidence, or act of subtle brilliance?

K-State has similarities too, but I don't care.

Same designer as the Tiger Hawk, I believe. I don't really think the USM logo is all THAT close to ours, but maybe our administration figures it can squeeze a buck or two out of them for the use of their logo.

Last edited:
Wow, so that means the fake Hawks have beaten Nebraska more recently than the real Hawks?? What the hell.

I've seen SMU gear at sports stores around the DSM area. The only thing I could think of was that the buyer for the store wasn't paying close attention and ordered the wrong gear. The logo may not be all the similar but when you add in that their colors are very similar, too, then you've got problems. I can see why the patent office made this decision.

When Southern Miss came to Iowa a few years ago for that tournament, I was able to tell them apart from the Hawkeyes only because they had an inferior coach (Larry Eustachy) and we had a great coach and team (led by Alford). If they came today, I would have a hard time telling the teams apart.

Additionally, Southern Miss has a richer tradition of NFL players than Iowa. Favre, Sammy Winder, Ray Guy, Louis Lipps. That's darn near an all-star team right there.

When Southern Miss came to Iowa a few years ago for that tournament, I was able to tell them apart from the Hawkeyes only because they had an inferior coach (Larry Eustachy) and we had a great coach and team (led by Alford). If they came today, I would have a hard time telling the teams apart.

Additionally, Southern Miss has a richer tradition of NFL players than Iowa. Favre, Sammy Winder, Ray Guy, Louis Lipps. That's darn near an all-star team right there.

If Mr. Indiana is a better coach than Eustachy it's only because Larry was thrown off his game when he quit drinking. Some people function at a higher level when they can keep the wheels lubricated. Larry Eustachy is amoung them.

If Mr. Indiana is a better coach than Eustachy it's only because Larry was thrown off his game when he quit drinking. Some people function at a higher level when they can keep the wheels lubricated. Larry Eustachy is amoung them.

LMAO! Larry E has a little Johnny Fever in him, doesnt he?

A couple weeks ago someone saw my Iowa license plate in a parking lot in Alabama and told me, "You don't see a lot of Southern Miss fans around here."

The license plate just has a tiger hawk on it with no writing. I suspect anyone who's actually a fan of either school can immediately tell the difference but to the casual observer the similar colors and design are hard to distinguish.

A couple weeks ago someone saw my Iowa license plate in a parking lot in Alabama and told me, "You don't see a lot of Southern Miss fans around here."

The license plate just has a tiger hawk on it with no writing. I suspect anyone who's actually a fan of either school can immediately tell the difference but to the casual observer the similar colors and design are hard to distinguish.
And they couldn't read "Iowa" on it? That begs for a southern illiteracy joke, but it is just too easy. . . . I can't help myself. Apparently, reading 4 letter words is a graduate school class at Alabama.

Latest posts