Pat Forde Rips into Iowa

The only real problem I have with the column is the claim that KF doesn't care about his players. The workouts and resulting problems are obviously too much, AND Kirk should have high-tailed it back to IC to deal with the situation, but to say that is all evidence that he doesn't care about the players is BS.

I just emailed him, as his email address is at the bottom of the article. I wanted to point out a few facts that he did not mention in his article. That being said, if he replies, I will post my email and his response. I was pretty objective I think, yet direct in a few lines. Hoping to get a reply from that POS.

I'm sure that Pat Forde has nothing better to do than to reply to some e-mail from some nobody from the middle of Iowa. Don't hold your breath.

If there turned out to be no other factors that could have exacerbated their kidney function, then it was the workout. If that turned out to be the case, then it needs tweaking, whether last week's results were intentional or not. Obviously the coaches didn't intend to put these players in the hospital. But that doesn't mean that 13 (now 8) hospital beds didn't hold Iowa football players this week.

13 players is WAY too many. One or two, and your logic would carry plenty of weight. But if 13 players ended up in the hospital solely because the workout was so extreme, then something about that workout needs to be tweaked.

This is actually very well said. I agree 100%.

[FONT=&quot]South Carolina swimmers had disorder affecting Iowa players [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - A doctor says 7 University of South Carolina swimmers came down with the same muscle disorder in 2008 that has led to the hospitalization of 13 Iowa football players and they may have simply been pushing their bodies too hard after a break.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rupert Galvez says the swimmers were diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis following three days of intense workouts after they returned from summer break in 2008. He says they reported swelling and weakness in their arms and discolored urine.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Galvez was involved in their treatment, and he wrote a 2008 article in the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine about the case. He says coaches should be cautious about putting athletes through rigorous training after they return from extended breaks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Iowa players were hospitalized Monday after strenuous workouts following winter break.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]================================================================[/FONT]
Honestly look at all the stuff we are finding out only days later....26,000 cases last year in the athlete, military segment.

100 plus in Oregon high schools.....

===============================================================

I would like to see Ferentz, Doyle, et al. sue Pat Forde for defamation of character.

[FONT=&quot]South Carolina swimmers had disorder affecting Iowa players [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - A doctor says 7 University of South Carolina swimmers came down with the same muscle disorder in 2008 that has led to the hospitalization of 13 Iowa football players and they may have simply been pushing their bodies too hard after a break.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rupert Galvez says the swimmers were diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis following three days of intense workouts after they returned from summer break in 2008. He says they reported swelling and weakness in their arms and discolored urine.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Galvez was involved in their treatment, and he wrote a 2008 article in the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine about the case. He says coaches should be cautious about putting athletes through rigorous training after they return from extended breaks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Iowa players were hospitalized Monday after strenuous workouts following winter break.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]================================================================[/FONT]
Honestly look at all the stuff we are finding out only days later....26,000 cases last year in the athlete, military segment.

100 plus in Oregon high schools.....

===============================================================

I would like to see Ferentz, Doyle, et al. sue Pat Forde for defamation of character.

Great find.

This is going to be difficult to monitor because of the variance in our individual bodies. This is why many made it through while others did not. There can also be mitigating factors like hydration levels entering the workouts that could be difficult to measure. From what I understand you cannot necessarily start drinking water right before the workout and expect your hydration level to be fine.

I think the moral of the story is players need to understand the importance of rest, on-going preparation and hydration at all times and that no matter what there is a risk in any activity.

Last edited:
Or there may have been mitigating circumstances that as of yet we do not know.

I realize this, and consider the workout combined with other factors (supplements/flu/etc.) to be the most likely culprit. Which is why is said if none of those other factors apply, and it was just the workout, then there would be reason to consider making changes.

I know we're all hepped up about Pat Forde but that Luginbill quack on ESPN was spouting off calling the Iowa staff abusive too. Some venom needs to be spewed his way too.

Latest posts