Pat Chambers Postgame Video

Almost, although they did make 11 out of 24 threes against Villanova. But making threes and hitting free throws is the difference for Iowa. In the 6 losses they have shot 29% from the 3 point arc, 23% in the 4 conference losses. Iowa is also a team that normally makes more free throws than the other team attempts, outside of the MSU game this did not happen in the losses.

Free throws are very important for us also yes.

However us being able to score without getting to the FT line is a bit worrisome to me.

Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I can't figure out why it'd be such a big deal to make the necessary changes. Think about it. We're talking about a multi-billion dollar enterprise, and we're talking about such an enterprise adding less than 2,000 employees. To cover all three divisions of the NCAA, there would need to be 1,614 full-time officials in college basketball to guarantee that every game had 3 full-time officials. However, that's assuming that all 1,076 schools are playing on the same day; we all know that isn't how it works and the part-time guys already officiate multiple games per week. I bet you could get the job done with way fewer than 1,000 officials. Then it just becomes a matter of how much to pay them; I'd think somewhere in the neighborhood of 60k would be reasonable and allow them to afford living in most parts of the country.

Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I can't figure out why it'd be such a big deal to make the necessary changes. Think about it. We're talking about a multi-billion dollar enterprise, and we're talking about such an enterprise adding less than 2,000 employees. To cover all three divisions of the NCAA, there would need to be 1,614 full-time officials in college basketball to guarantee that every game had 3 full-time officials. However, that's assuming that all 1,076 schools are playing on the same day; we all know that isn't how it works and the part-time guys already officiate multiple games per week. I bet you could get the job done with way fewer than 1,000 officials. Then it just becomes a matter of how much to pay them; I'd think somewhere in the neighborhood of 60k would be reasonable and allow them to afford living in most parts of the country.

Have you ever dealt with 1000+ employees??? You wouldn't say this is "easy" if you had. I"m guessing right now every official works as an independent contractor type of situation. Why in the world would the NCAA want to be in the "officiating business" all of a sudden with 1000+ unionized employees?

I think you need to re think this Tork.

I thought we were talking about this dude, i got the wrong Chambers. :)

tumblr_lwgt0dtmND1qznj8ho1_1280.jpg

Have you ever dealt with 1000+ employees??? You wouldn't say this is "easy" if you had. I"m guessing right now every official works as an independent contractor type of situation. Why in the world would the NCAA want to be in the "officiating business" all of a sudden with 1000+ unionized employees?

I think you need to re think this Tork.

Obviously, I've not dealt with 1,000+ employees. I'm not a business major, either. But I also don't know what the actual number would be in order to guarantee every game had 3 full-time officials, but it'd be lower than 1000, IMO. And if they only made that change at the D-1 level, while using D-II and D-III as something like minor leagues with part-time officials, you're talking about FAR fewer new employees; looking at ESPN, the most games I've found on any given day is 151, which would require 453 officials.

The NFL doesn't do this. There are a handful of officials now who are full time employees but the vast majority are just part time officials and have other jobs as well. The NFL doesn't want to commit to the cost of making all official positions into full time jobs.

Yeah, I am surprised TM did not know this. I believe MLB umpires and NBA refs are full time, but I thought it was common knowledge NFL officials were not. Sidenote, NFL officiating was absolutely brutal this year.

Obviously, I've not dealt with 1,000+ employees. I'm not a business major, either. But I also don't know what the actual number would be in order to guarantee every game had 3 full-time officials, but it'd be lower than 1000, IMO. And if they only made that change at the D-1 level, while using D-II and D-III as something like minor leagues with part-time officials, you're talking about FAR fewer new employees; looking at ESPN, the most games I've found on any given day is 151, which would require 453 officials.

The point being, you are advocating for the NCAA to go from 0 refs employed to between 500-1000 employees. There is a reason that companies outsource for many things, the difficulty of employing another 500-1000 is no small thing.

The point being, you are advocating for the NCAA to go from 0 refs employed to between 500-1000 employees. There is a reason that companies outsource for many things, the difficulty of employing another 500-1000 is no small thing.

I recognize that it won't happen. That doesn't mean it shouldn't.

Re the Tom Chambers pic. Have a friend that attended Broomfield HS in suburban Denver. His team was playing Boulder Fairview which featured Tom Chambers in the state tourney districts. Tom Chambers stole the ball and came downcourt 1x1 against the friend. Friend set up to take a charge and got Chambers foot in his face for his trouble. The man could leap.

BTW, lucky enough to play in some great pickup games and saw him up close and personal. Amazing player.

The NFL doesn't do this. There are a handful of officials now who are full time employees but the vast majority are just part time officials and have other jobs as well. The NFL doesn't want to commit to the cost of making all official positions into full time jobs.

Wife and I were having dinner last night and watching last seconds of Duke-Maryland. It hit me in that moment that, in the end, the officials are the one thing an Iowa/Wisconsin/mid-to-upper-tier-but-not-quite-elite-or-privileged team will NEVER be able to overcome.

Maryland was trying to score late, and getting absolutely MAULED by various Duke players. No calls, of course, until a Maryland players reaches in after Duke finally gets a rebound with .1 on the clock. How do officials miss THAT many foul calls?!

It's sort of like how O$U "never" holds when Braxton Miller scrambles for 32 seconds and traverses 106 yards on a play. But the officials certainly don't miss a PI call even when a DB is obviously being "picked" by an O$U/Oregon/Alabama player.

Not saying officials will "cost" Iowa a title, but neither will it EVER be said that Iowa won any sort of title because officials favored us. And the same goes for any school at our level.

Latest posts